Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v South Africa- Fourth Test- Johannesburg, Jan 24-28 2020

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Enforcing the follow on if available should ensure that we cannot lose so it would be foolhardy for Root not to do it. They would need to get a 2nd innings score in excess of 400 to put us in any possible bother., which they wont do in 1 day. or tomorrow. It will take at least until tea on 4th day.

Only reason to do really it is if our players have got tee times booked for tomorrow and think they can roll them over today......or rain is forecast for the next few days and we need to get a wiggle on. We don’t need to risk not winning the series from here so batting again ourselves pretty much guarantees the series win (and we’ll still win the test anyway).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The follow-on question, is likely to be redundant fairly shortly, the way these two are batting now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
South Africa 183 all out (68.3 overs)

Mark Wood 14.3 - 2 - 46 - 5 :clap2:

England lead by 217 on first innings, and will bat again after lunch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bat all day should give a healthy lead

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hopefully bat until at least this time tomorrow, or a little later, and its all over for SA.

With 70 overs left today and England getting at least 3 runs an over then I would bat halfway into the first session tomorrow when the lead should be 430-450 giving the bowling attack a chance both before and after Lunch. No way this mob would be able to chase 300 of course...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Root is a very conservative man and does not take chances so I would expect him to want a lead of 450+ before considering declaring.

We won’t be a million miles from being 450 runs ahead by close of play today. With the best part of 3 days remaining there really is no rush. I’d keep going until at least lunch tomorrow where our lead would be at least 500.

I say all this but we will still need to bat well to get up to these scores.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We won’t be a million miles from being 450 runs ahead by close of play today. With the best part of 3 days remaining there really is no rush. I’d keep going until at least lunch tomorrow where our lead would be at least 500.

I say all this but we will still need to bat well to get up to these scores.

Forgive him Lord, he knows not of what he does...….. Think it but, don't say things like that, this is England.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Forgive him Lord, he knows not of what he does...….. Think it but, don't say things like that, this is England.

Very true. I did write the first sentence and thought I’m getting too far ahead of myself, hence the final few lines as a caveat.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I can only assume not enforcing the follow on was to allow for some batting practice and give the bowlers a rest.

Bat until lunch tomorrow/500 lead and let rip in the field I reckon.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Scoring slowly but better to keep the wickets and see out day three with a few more added.

Then tomorrow go for it and declare/all out by tea and four sessions (120 overs) to get the Saffies all out for a thumping series win. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice mention of my home village, Robertsbridge by Athers in regards to Gray Nichols

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here