Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v South Africa- Fourth Test- Johannesburg, Jan 24-28 2020

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There is an argument to say that we should be approaching the (highly winnable) home series this summer and be using it as an opportunity to bed in some of these younger 90mph bowlers such as Stone (even if Curran would probably take more wickets). The thinking being we know that Curran, as well as he has done, is never going to do the job down under.

I accept there are counter-arguments against looking too far ahead

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is an argument to say that we should be approaching the (highly winnable) home series this summer and be using it as an opportunity to bed in some of these younger 90mph bowlers such as Stone (even if Curran would probably take more wickets). The thinking being we know that Curran, as well as he has done, is never going to do the job down under.

I accept there are counter-arguments against looking too far ahead

The argument FOR Sam (i assume you mean Sam) Curran is he's a left armer and the most likely to get swing is there's any going. He also can bowl reverse later on, plus can get some useful runs.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The argument FOR Sam (i assume you mean Sam) Curran is he's a left armer and the most likely to get swing is there's any going. He also can bowl reverse later on, plus can get some useful runs.

I do mean Sam. He is highly likely to get swing at home.

I was just looking at the last away ashes scorecards, and actually the contribution of an extra 30 odd runs from a number 8 would have been fairly negligible.

As was rightly stated earlier, our home form with the swinging ball isn't in doubt, but what we do need to find is someone (well 2 or 3) who can get the Aussies jumping around on a Brisbane flat track. I don't think that will be Curran. Though I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

As is Garton. I was asking the earlier question as there is a poster (Moshe Gariane) who is close to his development. I think he has been on a lions tour or two and may have been on standby for a recent tour (I may be wrong). Garton is rapid and may be an outside chancer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I see Archer is out of the T20 series, Saqib Mahmood has been added to the squad to cover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here