Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v South Africa- Fourth Test- Johannesburg, Jan 24-28 2020

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I reckon given three days left we will not enforce the follow on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I reckon given three days left we will not enforce the follow on.

Enforcing the follow on if available should ensure that we cannot lose so it would be foolhardy for Root not to do it. They would need to get a 2nd innings score in excess of 400 to put us in any possible bother., which they wont do in 1 day. or tomorrow. It will take at least until tea on 4th day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Enforcing the follow on if available should ensure that we cannot lose so it would be foolhardy for Root not to do it. They would need to get a 2nd innings score in excess of 400 to put us in any possible bother., which they wont do in 1 day. or tomorrow. It will take at least until tea on 4th day.

No reason for England not to bat again. I wouldn't enforce the follow on.

South Africa need to win the match, England don't. A lead of 200÷ is there to be built on with three days left in the match and a wicket that will wear come day four.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Quite the opposite. Enforcing the follow on is the most aggressive option and would be the most likely way of South Africa winning.

I’d bat again and grind them down. Make them bat last on a pitch which is already going up and down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite the opposite. Enforcing the follow on is the most aggressive option and would be the most likely way of South Africa winning.

I’d bat again and grind them down. Make them bat last on a pitch which is already going up and down.

If we enforced the follow on they would need to bat and score at least 400 to set a target for them to bowl at and I would suggest that they would bat as long as possible and then comes the fact of timing their declaration right, which I doubt that they would do. They will be hoping that avoiding the follow on they will bowl us out cheaply and allow themselves possibly 2 days to hit the target of perhaps 320 runs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we enforced the follow on they would need to bat and score at least 400 to set a target for them to bowl at and I would suggest that they would bat as long as possible and then comes the fact of timing their declaration right, which I doubt that they would do. They will be hoping that avoiding the follow on they will bowl us out cheaply and allow themselves possibly 2 days to hit the target of perhaps 320 runs.

We will bat again as this pitch will deteriorate even if we could enforce a follow-on

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

There is no way we will enforce the follow on with the time left in the game.

We enforced it last time out due to the weather.

Regardless of whether we do or not the end result will almost certainly be the same but unless we blast them out for under 100 and even then the smart money would be on us batting again.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'd bat again and simply put South Africa out the game. It eliminates the possibility of having to chase anything at all. It also means when they bat again they do so on a wicket that will start playing up.

Enforcing the follow on isn't the done thing now. Especially if you are Australia !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Assuming a lead of around 180-220 which seems likely shirley put them back in the field, swing the willow and get a 400 plus lead, declare then invite them to chase on a 4th/5th day wicket? ???

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Assuming a lead of around 180-220 which seems likely shirley put them back in the field, swing the willow and get a 400 plus lead, declare then invite them to chase on a 4th/5th day wicket? ???

Sad thing about South Africa is that they don't seem up to chasing much these days. I suspect England will do as you say although set a higher target. South Africa will then struggle to muster a half decent response.

Sad times. A good boost for England, but this isn't the South Africa we know.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sad thing about South Africa is that they don't seem up to chasing much these days. I suspect England will do as you say although set a higher target. South Africa will then struggle to muster a half decent response.

Sad times. A good boost for England, but this isn't the South Africa we know.

Issue for SA is too many core players have retired in a relatively short space of time.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Issue for SA is too many core players have retired in a relatively short space of time.

I don't know if the quota system is having a beneficial effect or not.

My calculation is that Kolpak ends now we are leaving the EU. I wonder how that will affect people.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

FFS. I know you have a reputation for spouting random shot, but this is some fine bollocks right here. If England bowl SA out cheaply, THE ONLY WAY SOUTH AFRICA CAN WIN IS IF WE ENFORCE THE FOLLOW ON.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FFS. I know you have a reputation for spouting random shot, but this is some fine bollocks right here. If England bowl SA out cheaply, THE ONLY WAY SOUTH AFRICA CAN WIN IS IF WE ENFORCE THE FOLLOW ON.

We would have to totally collapse and be out for less than 100 but in hindsight I can see the best option is for us to bat the 2nd Innings as long as possible as even a draw will suffice for us so our aim must be a 1st innings lead and then score 350+ again. Dioesnt matter how long it takes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wow - this is turning into a very memorable tour after such a poor start

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think a first innings lead of 250 is quite possible! Yes, then add another 200 odd today to bat them out of the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
93/7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here