Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v South Africa - 1st Test - The Oval

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Your fifth bowler is there to help you bowl sides out. How many test wickets does Bopara have?

Not always. Sometimes it is to keep things tight whilst waiting for your top men to rest up and maybe wait for the new ball. Or of course you can go down the road of picking an all rounder, maybe someone who is at best ordinary in both departments as England were obsessed with for 15 years after Botham retired.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not always. Sometimes it is to keep things tight whilst waiting for your top men to rest up and maybe wait for the new ball. Or of course you can go down the road of picking an all rounder, maybe someone who is at best ordinary in both departments as England were obsessed with for 15 years after Botham retired.

They picked plenty who were just ordinary in one department as well..

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
150 partnership... Cook 68* (167) Trott 63* (142)

Pretty steady effort from 51 overs... would like to see us pick the rate up a little between now and the new ball.

:clap:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The problem is we cannot find a decent number 6.

Morgan, Bopara and Bairstow's average is in fact worse than Bresnan (with the bat), so why bother picking them?

I agree with you a bit but I think Bopora's done ok at 6 as opposed to 3 and deserves a chance. I think Morgan survived for far too long

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We should be ok until about 4.30pm. I listened this morning for ten minutes - the first thing I heard was Strauss get out. I then switched to the TdF. After the TdF I will listen to the test again. Expect a collapse after that.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We should be ok until about 4.30pm. I listened this morning for ten minutes - the first thing I heard was Strauss get out. I then switched to the TdF. After the TdF I will listen to the test again. Expect a collapse after that.

Thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's too much talk on here and Cricinfo about the slow(ish) scoring rate, which is a tad under 3 an over. Firstly, the Boks will begin to tire shortly and the rate is bound to pick up. Secondly, I think people are beginning to take some of our batting for granted.

We're playing against an attack with the world's No. 1 ranked bowler but in spite of that this pair have put on the second best England 2nd wicket partnership EVER vs South Africa at The Oval. 18 more runs and it will be the best ever.

Enjoy this dominance whilst it lasts. These are the best times for English test cricket.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

7 minutes early!

Trott gone for 71.

England 170-2 (57.2 overs)

Perhaps now the rate will pick up a bit :thumbsup:

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure if Dick Knight's Mum or Pavillionaire got that wicket.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's ironic that at a time when we've got arguably the best batting wicketkeeper ever to play for England that we opt to play 6 batsmen.

However, I think anywhere other than the sub-continent it engenders a feeling approaching invincibility as regards our batting, and has the equivalent demoralising effect on the opposition's bowlers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That was England's 7th best ever 2nd wicket partnership vs South Africa. Good effort, that.

MJNEastStand

Jul 17, 2012
Spot on - and to be fair we have not struggled to take wickets recently. Steyne does not look fit but Should get interesting with KP out their, and does anyone else think Kallis might be wearing a wig? Looks a bit advanced hair studio....

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
There's too much talk on here and Cricinfo about the slow(ish) scoring rate, which is a tad under 3 an over. Firstly, the Boks will begin to tire shortly and the rate is bound to pick up. Secondly, I think people are beginning to take some of our batting for granted.

We're playing against an attack with the world's No. 1 ranked bowler but in spite of that this pair have put on the second best England 2nd wicket partnership EVER vs South Africa at The Oval. 18 more runs and it will be the best ever.

Enjoy this dominance whilst it lasts. These are the best times for English test cricket.

I agree with this a lot though. Trott and Cook score runs, lots of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here