Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - time for NSC to show some respect

Albion Rob

The last 10 years have been quite a paradox for England. People were pretty critical of Eriksson but if weren't such chokers when it comes to penalties (or if a perfectly good goal had not been disallowed in Euro 2004) then we'd have been looking at consecutive semi finals in 2004 and 2006. Granted we'd have struggled in the semis as we'd have been missing Rooney both times but it's 11 against 11 and you just never know.

Euro 2008 qualifying was a disaster - total write off.

WC2010 was pretty bad too.

I'd just like to make two points:

First, Wilshere looks exciting. Be great to finally have a central midfielder in the Gazza mould who can go past people. A decade of seeing Lampard and Gerrard plodding around the midfield and having to pass it square as soon as they are confronted with an opponenet has been pretty dire - beating a man, taking him out of the game and then drawing others in creating space for team mates, that seems to be the best way in international football rather than playing the ball in front of them and trying to thread it through the eye of a needle in a panic.

Second, I don't really agree with having foreign managers in charge of England. Nothing against them and nothing against how they play but I think that if we're in such a poor footballing state that out of 25 million blokes in this country we can't find one good enough to manage internationally then that's more fool us and we should suffer for it (as we did under McLaren). Where's the incentive to bring good coaches through if we're just going to scour the globe for someone? And if we're doing it with managers then we might as well do it with players too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You see a lot of twats on here adopt a plastic Man U style attitude when it comes to England - it's pathetic.

I've given up challenging these muppets on here but that doesn't mean I don't find their comments ridiculous. I think a lot of them sit there and read the Sun and believe everything they read!

With a first post like that you wonder why people shot you down in flames ? Try being slightly less arrogant and holier than thou and maybe you won't get equivalent comments back.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
With a first post like that you wonder why people shot you down in flames ? Try being slightly less arrogant and holier than thou and maybe you won't get equivalent comments back.

OK OK point taken (tho I wasn't being arrogant) and yes I do just get angry reading some if the anti England crap - not all of it cos I agree the set up etc could be better etc. Another poster on this thread has suggested i'm 'happy with the current England set up' etc. I'm not overly as I don't think we have enough young talent coming through.

Whatever happens to England and whoever plays it doesn't stop my support and in MY OPINION others shouldn't dwell. But hey like i've said several times on this thread, i realise i'm in the minority. Gonna leave it here as i make a concious effort not to spk about England on here as other peiples views really rile me on the subject :lol:

PS - I didn't start this thread - please note that (much asa I agree with the thread starter)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Danny Baker had it right after Bloemfontaine. Don't get angry, simply don't watch them, buy the kit, the merchandise and turn your back on the players the way they turned their back on the country last summer.

John Terry tried to lead an uprising against Gerrard during the WC finals because he never accepted he should have been sacked in the first place. This is the same JT who tried to make money by charging people £10,000 to show them around Chelsea's training ground and taking up a disabled parking space because he was too lazy to park his Bentley 20 yards down the road.

Proud to be English, YES, proud to have cocks such as Terry, Stevie 'I hit him in self defence whilst my four mates held him down' G, or Rio Dope Test Dodging Ferdinand as the captain of my national team, NO.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I lost interest in the England football team a few years ago. The media circus around the team is ridiculous and you get the sense that the players much prefer to play for their teams rather than the country (which is perhaps not necessarily their own fault, with the stupid amount of money they are paid to play for their clubs).

I honestly would really not be bothered if England won the football world cup.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I saw the USA Argentina game last night. As a game it wasn’t spectacular and a 1-1 draw seemed a fair result. Obviously Messi was the main attraction but as a neutral it seemed to me that what the USA side lacked in ability they made up for with pride, passion and guts – all the things that England used to have before they became a side of overpaid, pampered underachievers. USA have some good youth players coming through the ranks, 18 year old Juan Agudelo who scored for USA looks like a good future prospect for USA and Red Bulls.
Both the USA and England were knocked out of the last World Cup at the same stage – the big difference was that the USA players and coach were on a fraction of the money that was being spent on the England team. Until fairly recently the USA national soccer team was treated as a bit of a joke but they are now ranked 19th by FIFA. They must be doing something right.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Gonna leave it here as i make a concious effort not to spk about England on here as other peiples views really rile me on the subject :lol:

Shame you are not going to back up some of your outlandish comments but fair play, understand your frustration, with age, you will start to feel like the rest of us, especially if the next generation continue in the same vain as the current crop.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Shame you are not going to back up some of your outlandish comments but fair play, understand your frustration, with age, you will start to feel like the rest of us, especially if the next generation continue in the same vain as the current crop.

I thought that Rio, JT, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Joe Cole, Stevie G were the golden generation though, but turned out to be the golden shower. All in their 30's now and nowt to show apart from early returns from the major tournaments.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I thought that Rio, JT, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Joe Cole, Stevie G were the golden generation though, but turned out to be the golden shower. All in their 30's now and nowt to show apart from early returns from the major tournaments.

Golden Shower :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think our expectations are too high. England have consistently been a top 8 international side, which shows some real quality, but to take the next step to be a top 3 team capable of winning tournaments takes a very special set of players, and we haven't had that since the 1990 squad, most of whom would walk into the current 1st choice 11.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd have given up on England a long time ago if my feelings were based solely upon results.

The team is full of dishonourable planks. Didn't they grizzle about being bored to tears during the World Cup in South Africa? Hell, good job none of them ever made a career for themselves in cricket. Imagine how much bleating there would be if they were on tour for three months.

They represent the country, but they do not represent England. It seems that many just want to collect as many caps as possible and enjoy the trappings of being an international footballer. It is quite embarrassing that our leader and figurehead is John Terry. He epitomises everything that is wrong with the whole setup from top to bottom.

A whole bunch of classless fools. I was hoping for a Welsh win. I didn't watch the game as I couldn't face watching a game of little interest to me. It was much more fun having a few beers on a chilly spring afternoon waiting for the boat race. Eight vs eight, sweating blood and tears for a prize. Far more courage, effort pride and determination shown in the space of 20 minutes than the English team have shown in almost a decade.

I can't see my view changing in the near future. Our national game is littered with cretins promoted well beyond their natural earning capacity, showing little empathy to those that spend many hundredsm if not thousands, following the team across the world.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Having expressed openly my disgust with these players on these threads and with my friends, I watched a bit of the Wales England game with a passing interest. I wasn't sure how I'd react, but after we scored the early penalty I watched Rooney, Cole, Terry and others celebrate by bellowing that ugly roar at the crowd with fists clenched, and realised I couldn't stand them. And I think that's it for them, I can't see how I can support them again. If it was just supporting England it would be simple, but it isn't, its a continual process of supporting the same undroppable players, of them trying to prove to the media that they are worth it in an ongoing circus of up-yours and I told you so's that is so ungratifying to the normal football fan. Its so boring and frustrating and nauseating.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I didn't watch the game. I've seen the goals numerous times on SSN of course... Meh.

As most others have said, it's difficult to take them seriously as too many of them are worthy of little more than apathy. And now all the post match hype is about Jack Wilshere. Apparently it is HE who is the real deal. Now tell me, will he turn out to be a Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of ability, or is it more likely that he will turn out to be another crock of shit by the time he reaches his prime, capable of playing absolute crap for his country but comfortable enough of scoring 4 as his team beat Wigan at home by 7 clear goals in a league game?

In summary, I'm not sure what I'm more disillusioned about - the millionaire players who are limited in ability and take no personal responsibility in being picked for their country, or the simple fact that even when we are not f***ing shit, we certainly don't belong at the top table with world footballing powers or indeed anywhere near it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I didn't watch the game. I've seen the goals numerous times on SSN of course... Meh.

As most others have said, it's difficult to take them seriously as too many of them are worthy of little more than apathy. And now all the post match hype is about Jack Wilshere. Apparently it is HE who is the real deal. Now tell me, will he turn out to be a Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of ability, or is it more likely that he will turn out to be another crock of shit by the time he reaches his prime, capable of playing absolute crap for his country but comfortable enough of scoring 4 as his team beat Wigan at home by 7 clear goals in a league game?

In summary, I'm not sure what I'm more disillusioned about - the millionaire players who are limited in ability and take no personal responsibility in being picked for their country, or the simple fact that even when we are not f***ing shit, we certainly don't belong at the top table with world footballing powers or indeed anywhere near it.

Wilshere is Very good, BUT once again we are building him up like we do in this country, why cant we just leave a player to get on with it?

Every time he plays he is hyped up massively and its way OTT, I think during the Denmark game they spent the entire half time talking about him despite being OK and nothing more.

We have destroyed players in the past doing this and we never seem to learn.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel a bit sorry for Wilshere in that he appears to be the one world class player that's come through in the last 12 months and, as such, ALL our hopes will be on his 19 year-old shoulders.

We could really do with Andy Carroll delivering the goods and sharing the load with Wilshere.

As for the other, Bent, Young, Parker, Dawson have been around for ages and continuously passed over by Cappello's predecessors and the Premier League big boys, and I'm not convinced they can deliver at the highest level.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I feel a bit sorry for Wilshere in that he appears to be the one world class player that's come through in the last 12 months and, as such, ALL our hopes will be on his 19 year-old shoulders.

We could really do with Andy Carroll delivering the goods and sharing the load with Wilshere.

As for the other, Bent, Young, Parker, Dawson have been around for ages and continuously passed over by Cappello's predecessors and the Premier League big boys, and I'm not convinced they can deliver at the highest level.

Much how I love Daws, he isnt top international class.

Bent isnt a very good footballer, he does however have the knack of being in the right place at the right time and is better than Defoe.

Oatway4England

Mar 17, 2011
Jack Wilshere is the most exciting England player i have seen in my lifetime (i'm 25). Bold statement but im prepared to stick by it. Lets just enjoy watching him run the England midfield for years to come and stick with him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jack Wilshere is the most exciting England player i have seen in my lifetime (i'm 25). Bold statement but im prepared to stick by it. Lets just enjoy watching him run the England midfield for years to come and stick with him.
Would you mind awfully if I didn't give a shit and just watch him take his place in the next batch of overpaid underachievers? It won't take long before he thinks he's better than he is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here