Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England squad for Nations League

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Uninspiring game, but it’s just about the result innit.

I really like Sterling these days, always had the skills but now a plucky little character and become quite fearless for us. Love his penalty. Also loved the way Pickford celebrated that miss.

Reminder for bedwetters: France only beat Iceland 1-0.

Shocking performance. .... from a shocking Manager.
He’s taken the dire football played by his Middlesbrough team and taken it to the international stage. It takes some skill to get a some really talented players to play so badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Shocking performance. .... from a shocking Manager.
He’s taken the dire football played by his Middlesbrough team and taken it to the international stage. It takes some skill to get a some really talented players to play so badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolute Emperors New Clothes he is. Man of the people, good guy, bland bollocks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Denmark are undefeated for 36 (?) games, excluding a game they lost because they played with amateurs due to a conflict with their FA. Will be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday...

Guess there is a chance they will lose their streak tonight though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Denmark are undefeated for 36 (?) games, excluding a game they lost because they played with amateurs due to a conflict with their FA. Will be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday...

Guess there is a chance they will lose their streak tonight though.

England are undefeated if you exclude the games they lost, too.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Really crap manager. It's so annoying how he's got a potentially very entertaining team looking so clueless. Some may disagree with me on this but how he didn't select Grealish until someone had to pull out has Matt Le Tissier written all over it. How can you look past him? Villa would've been relegated quite comfortably without him. We never produce such relaxed, composed players and now we have one Southgate wants to be controversial and look past him.

Dunk not getting in is just the cherry on the top. How you can't see what a quality player he is might explain what a rubbish manager he's been at club level. Dunk, like Grealish, shows great composure at the top level. He commands his area like a true leader. Never do you see him caught in 2 minds or putting his own defence under pressure, but again, Mr Southgate would rather pick someone like Mings instead.

Fingers crossed Southgate gets the sack, but knowing England, we'll probably replace him with Mourinho

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wont be interested in England until Southgate goes.......if that's the best we have in England then we are doomed....

His weakness is that he has favourites (both players and the teams he selects those players from). Form and quality go out the window if Gareth has taken a shine to you. Mentioning the brawling blockhead coming back in October is an example of this misplaced loyalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If England lost one in 37 and using only amateur players in the game that they lost, I would have agreed.

It's not an opinion to agree or disagree with, it's a fact. Ignore all the games a team loses, and they are undefeated.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not an opinion to agree or disagree with, it's a fact. Ignore all the games a team loses, and they are undefeated.

True. Point is, Denmark got a very remarkable streak and will be a tough opponent and if you want to beat them, the performance today wont be close to enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His weakness is that he has favourites (both players and the teams he selects those players from). Form and quality go out the window if Gareth has taken a shine to you. Mentioning the brawling blockhead coming back in October is an example of this misplaced loyalty.

Agree. With all that talent available England look less than the sum of their parts. Sterling does a typical run to the byeline and a cut back and there is no fugger there. 'Where's Foden?!' I shout. Oh, subbed off. Foden and Sancho subbed off. Why? The bloke sent off has been out of his mind for months. Needs to sort himself out, not be picked for England.

'Face Fits' Southgate. Him and his selections.

As for his tactics....that was Sven-like - no plan B. :facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

:shrug:

I think his point is pretty clear here. Not sure why you are challenging it.

In the ordinary sense of the word, the Denmark national team is unbeaten for yonks. The actual squad were on strike for the loss to Slovakia.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Proven by Michael Keane - error strewn in recent seasons, yet GS awards him a lovely collection of caps. Whilst other PL CB’s of the same ilk and age group such as Dunk and Tarkowski, playing consistently well or more, don’t even make squads. A different style CB John Stones, allegedly a great creative force, but awful for club and country at defending, is also a selection favourite.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I certainly am questioning of Southgate at the moment, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge his entire performance on a game like this. As I mentioned above France only beat them 1-0.

Some England fans expect us to win all these games 5-0. I don’t know what that’s based on, but that’s been the case since I can remember.

I was super impressed by Southgate at the WC, especially How he good he was with the players mindset.. but like all England managers has fallen to favouritism. His selection was baffling tonight. Maybe the England job just needs to be “reset” every tournament cycle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True. Point is, Denmark got a very remarkable streak and will be a tough opponent and if you want to beat them, the performance today wont be close to enough.

This is true - but then against Denmark, it won't be an 11 vs an 11-behind-the-ball game of attack against defence job like it was tonight. Sterling and Sancho may actually have some space to run into, if GS actually picks some creativity to play behind them.

Big IF, obvs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is true - but then against Denmark, it won't be an 11-behind-the-ball game of attack against defence job like it was tonight. Sterling and Sancho may actually have some space to run into, if GS actually picks some creativity to play behind them.

Big IF, obvs.

Indeed. Should be a more entertaining game anyway.

Not that anyone gives a ****, no-one is dreaming about the "UEFA Nations League" trophy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Indeed. Should be a more entertaining game anyway.

Not that anyone gives a ****, no-one is dreaming about the "UEFA Nations League" trophy.

Well.....I've only ever seen us win 'Le Tournoi', so, ya know, any port in a storm.

It also offers the safety net of a WC playoff if we totally bollocks up the qualifying group. OK, I'm reaching. But its STILL better than utterly meaningless friendlies.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well.....I've only ever seen us win 'Le Tournoi', so, ya know, any port in a storm.

It also offers the safety net of a WC playoff if we totally bollocks up the qualifying group. OK, I'm reaching. But its STILL better than utterly meaningless friendlies.

Dunno... at least friendlies are not pretending to be anything they are not... this tournament/league (or whatever it is) feels quite artificial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here