Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The entire back 5 were excellent all tournament.

Gerrard was good in the group games but went missing big time, last night.

Parker was excellent last night. Shame he had to come off.

Young was dreadful, and should never have still been on the pitch, to take his shit penalty.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Johnson did well.
Terry is good at throwing himself in front of players with his arms in the air. Surprised he didn't give aaway at least 1 penalty but I can't fault his effort.

Rooney? Was he banned from playing for all 4 games but allowed to be on the field for 2 of them?

Young? He was defo banned from playing for all 4 games. Hope I never see him again in an England shirt.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Whilst Gerrard played well for the group games I though he had a bit of a shocker against Italy.

John Terry was Englands best player for me across the four games. Positioning, clearances, blocks, tackles...and there's probably still people who think we should've taken Rio instead.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Undoubtedly Johnson for me - easily his best string of perfomances in an England shirt- his tackling, work-rate, timing and determination were excellent.

Terry? He would not get into any other top team. Not that I don't recognise his strengths but his pace, positional play and lack of composure on the ball stop him being a top international defender. He played as well as he can though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Why couldn't terry have been like that all career? Quiet, unassuming, got on with an excellent job without histrionics, arrogance, bravado or misjudged press conferences. The latter is the guy i wanted dropped, last night's version i can support with gusto

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Parker for me. Gave his heart & soul even though he knows he's not the future for England and this was probably his one and only major tournament. Made some great challenges and took a lot of pressure off the back 4.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Edited for you.

Your edit was inaccurate. Henderson occupies and closes space without running around like a headeless chicken and he can play a pass. He is also positionally aware and less likely to get drawn too deep as a result. He is a long long way from the finished product but if he continues to develop under Rodgers at Liverpool he may well be one to watch. Being thrown into a directionless Liverpool side last season may have put his development back a little but he has ability.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why couldn't terry have been like that all career? Quiet, unassuming, got on with an excellent job without histrionics, arrogance, bravado or misjudged press conferences. The latter is the guy i wanted dropped, last night's version i can support with gusto

Being authoratively removed from any sort of influence by a manager who may be outwardly unassuming but who knows football is what happened. 'Arry would probably have made him captain

Hart did little if anything wrong and is our best keeper by a very long way.
Johnson was the most consistent defensively he has ever been and deserved his starting place.
Terry was exceptional positionally. Whoever replaces him needs to study how he plays
Lescott was comfortable and competent and will do a job without exciting anyone (but does he need to excite?).
Cole gave his wingers too much freedom at times but his pace rescued him and he played well enough. Still no-one better on the horizon.
Parker is a willing runner and tackler but lacks any sort of international class and can't seem to pick a pass. Certainly can't shoot.
Gerrard when fit flourished as captain and his crossing was exceptional - real quality and drive.
Millner was to England what Ashley Barnes is to Brighton - does the job his manager wants but never really looks as good as those around him - you always thoink there must be better (but is there?).
Henderson when he came on late in games did nothing wrong and is possibly more the future than Parker at this level.
Ashley Young played four very poor games and looked out of sorts in every respect. Positionally poor; poor decision making, and lacking pace
Rooney only played two games but was at least as good as Young.
Wellbeck showed promise and will improve.
Carroll impressed more than I wanted him to - he worried top defenders.
Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain offer genuine pace and can worry any side. We might benefit by having one of them on the pitch - on current form either are ahead of Young

Spot on.:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Undoubtedly Johnson for me - easily his best string of perfomances in an England shirt- his tackling, work-rate, timing and determination were excellent.

Terry? He would not get into any other top team. Not that I don't recognise his strengths but his pace, positional play and lack of composure on the ball stop him being a top international defender. He played as well as he can though.

Terry is definitely our best player at cleaning up his own mistakes. Typical english player.

Glen Johnson for me too. Didn't think he had that consistent quality of performance in him. Still not a top RB, but decent enough for England.

Terry was adequate at centre back, he played as well as he can play. Hopelessly lacking in basic technique in possession of the ball to do anything other than pass it back to Hart, even when England were building an attack. Our basic back line was all over the place at times with Pirlo seemingly springing what I assume was England trying to play offside with a high line at will. Terry's lack of pace, and at times, poor positional play meant that he was required to make numerous last ditch tackles, blocks and headers. If he defended well in the first place, half of these efforts wouldn't be required.

[MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] is right though, definitely typically English. If England are ever going to do anything at international level, we need centre halves with the same quality of touch and ability on the ball as the midfield. Last night our back 4's lack of ability* to help retain possession and join in the build up play was the difference. They kept it at 0-0, but they also prevented any respite for the rest of the team.

(* I still maintain Johnson was Englands best player, mainly because he was probably the only one who played better than I though he could. The rest either matched or were lower than my opinion of what they are capable of).

All that said, positive signs for team spirit, togetherness and playing for each other. It's not all negative I don't think, getting to pens in the 1/4's was probably more than I thought we could do, so well done Roy, hopefully he will be able to work some magic on the road to the World Cup.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
*snigger*

AwL_9gcCQAANI4W.jpg:medium

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
:lolol: I am on a completely different planet when watching football to most the people on here.

Balotelli found it so easy time and time again to get in behind the defence yesterday, left Terry looking like a fool, but because he puts his body in the way of blocking a shot one or twice in a game, all that is forgotten. Do people forget the TWO goals Olaf Mellberg scored against England. The defence got lucky, could easily have been 3-0 yesterday. They worked hard, but positionally and technically they aren't anywhere near good enough for the latter stages of the big tournaments - Cole and Hart aside.

Just shows the English fans praise the "blood and guts" defending over being actually good enough to prevent opposition getting into those positions in the first place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here