Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england my england

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
so it racist to want to keep your country's indentity then ??

Depends which identity you're talking about. Now let me see. There's our Roman identity; our Saxon identity; our French identity...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
:wave:

Your poem seems rather confused... talking about England but then the Union Jack. Do you want to be English or British? Or is anything okay as long as its not 'European'?

funny you should say that when i was growing it was always the unoin jack
but i think of us as british anyway

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
So may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane
But don't say you're English ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
In Brussels it's scrapped, in Parliament too
Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
The pupils don't learn about them anymore
How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?
When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
Europe is miles away over the sea
We're the English from England, let's all be proud
Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud !

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too

We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue

Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
Let the world know - WE WANT OUR ENGLAND BACK !!!!

Funny that there is no mention of America in this ditty, the USA having far more of a pernicious and damaging influence on our economy, politics and 'culture'.

The current economic crisis originated in America, we slavishly followed America in invading Iraq, and our moronic celebrity culture imitates America, while our cinemas are full of infantile American movies !

Those kids who are no longer reading Shakespeare or Milton are probably reading about Paris Hilton or some other white trash dumb famous-for-being-famous American bimbo instead ! Nowt to do with those nasty Europeans, I'm afraid.

Odd how self-proclaied English patriots slag off Europe/Brussels, but won't say a word against this country's infatuation with all the crap which we welcome from across the Atlantic.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Funny that there is no mention of America in this ditty, the USA having far more of a pernicious and damaging influence on our economy, politics and 'culture'.

The current economic crisis originated in America, we slavishly followed America in invading Iraq, and our moronic celebrity culture imitates America, while our cinemas are full of infantile American movies !

Those kids who are no longer reading Shakespeare or Milton are probably reading about Paris Hilton or some other white trash dumb famous-for-being-famous American bimbo instead ! Nowt to do with those nasty Europeans, I'm afraid.

Odd how self-proclaied English patriots slag off Europe/Brussels, but won't say a word against this country's infatuation with all the crap which we welcome from across the Atlantic.

i detest america
and what it stands for

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
funny you should say that when i was growing it was always the unoin jack
but i think of us as british anyway
Wrong. The Union Jack has NEVER been England's flag. As it's name suggests it represents the 'union' of England Scotland and Ireland. I don't want to be rude but to say it's 'English' is extremely ignorant. And as you can see it's one-third Irish!

However yes, you are right to think of us as British as that's what we are: you, me, Lenny Henry, Frank Bruno, Emile Heskey, Monty Panesar - we're all British. Glad we've cleared that up.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wrong. The Union Jack has NEVER been England's flag. As it's name suggests it represents the 'union' of England Scotland and Ireland. I don't want to be rude but to say it's 'English' is extremely ignorant. And as you can see it's one-third Irish!

However yes, you are right to think of us as British as that's what we are: you, me, Lenny Henry, Frank Bruno, Emile Heskey, Monty Panesar - we're all British. Glad we've cleared that up.
havent thought of myself as british for quite a long time now, english , yes.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
havent thought of myself as british for quite a long time now, english , yes.
To be honest - I do as well. But nevertheless macky is (currently) correct to think of us all as 'British'.

Anyway that's me done; I don't want to get into another nappy-throwing binfest.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is it possible to think as yourself as British and English? I always have done, but seemingly I am in a minority.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Our slavish (excuse the term) adoption of US race relations initiatives is one of the more pernicious and damaging influences on our culture in recent years.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

You missed Richard Blackwood. It is the law that he should be mentioned on a list such as that. You could be in trouble with Trevor Phillips mate.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
English Patriotism is like immigration. There will never be a sensible debate about it because, ironically, anyone who starts one is concerned about being grouped with the BNP.

Besides, it is a national characteristic of the English to be understated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here