Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England fans doing nothing for our reputation again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ben andrews girlfriend said:
Stop being so f***ing patronising because i am young, it doesnt mean that i know nothing!

As I posted on NSP - I apologise for the tone of my initial response, I clearly went too far. But I do not apologise for the sentiment.

And to just make it clear: I believe your initial post was somewhat inflammatory at worst, naive at best. Probably somewhere in between. Listen to the people that follow England away (there have been enough on this thread, for instance) rather than a media circus which seems intent on stirring these things up way beyond anything that resembles reality.

ben andrews girlfriend said:
i am strongly considering "f***ing off" for some while to get away from all the twats on this site, this does incluse you and Bozza.

Shame. Which way are you going out? Allow me to hold the door for you...

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Right, this is cut and pasted from the BBC before anyone has a go at me OK !

20 fans held after fresh clashes

England know they could be sent home if trouble continues
A second night of clashes between England football fans and local police in Portugal has ended with 20 people being arrested.
Mounted officers and riot police clashed with around 400 bottle-throwing supporters in Albufeira - the scene of similar ugly scenes the previous night.

UEFA warned England in the run-up to the tournament that repeated violence by fans could see the team sent home.

Twelve fans arrested in the resort on Monday are due to in court later.

They have been charged with public order offences and resisting arrest.

The English fans in custody reportedly include supporters from Barnsley, Newcastle upon Tyne, Manchester, Oxford, Cleveland, Dudley, Faversham in Kent, and Hertfordshire.

One Portuguese and one Russian fan were also arrested.

Albufeira, a resort packed with bars, is the base for the majority of England fans who have travelled to Portugal for Euro 2004.

In the first stand-off between fans and police, in the early hours of Tuesday morning, officers had moved into an area known as The Strip at around 0130 BST after fans spilled out of bars into the street.

More arrests 'possible'

Portuguese police spokesman Captain Manuel Jorge said of Wednesday morning's trouble: "At 2.15am the situation got hot, and the situation also involved 15 or 20 Portuguese people who were just passing by in the road.

"The police needed to go in with horses and dogs to defuse the situation.

"It is now under control and we are cleaning the street. At the moment we have 20 arrests but there may be more."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That's right, it's of course the media's/foreign police's/anyone else's fault OTHER than the vegetables that call themselves England fans. Isn't it obvious?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
But haven't UEFA said that they are satisfied that the FA have done everything they could to keep the trouble makers at home and that we would not be expelled from the competition?

Also, there was a load of trouble at the Switzerland Croatia game apparently.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Arthur said:
I didn't say that. I did say I don't know you from Adam so you could be 5, 15 or 55 as far as I'm aware.

well that is a load of bollocks for a start.
her bloody picture is in her avatar.

i talk out my arse.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
That's right, it's of course the media's/foreign police's/anyone else's fault OTHER than the vegetables that call themselves England fans. Isn't it obvious?
No-one is arguing that hooligans follow England, it's just that in Portugal, trouble has been limited to what you might see on any given Saturday night in any city in the country, yet we're still being tarred with the same brush by a media which delights in blowing such events out of all proportion.

What I suspect is disappointing to some people on this thread is that b.a.g, football fan that she is, has chosen to highlight an incident under with an "inflammatory" subject title that doesn't do any justice to the other 100,000 English supporters expected to make the trip.

That said, Arthur's comments were unnecessarily patronising and take the shine off some excellent points.

Incidentally MOH, you might have read that a five Germans were arrested last night after trouble errupted in the main square when a large German mob started throwing bottles, chairs and tables at their Dutch counterparts. I must admit to having to dig around to find this story, and that is as it should be because afterall, why should a minority of less than 100 idiots tarnish the reputation of the 20,000 German fans in the stadium last night? All we want is a level playing field. English authorities have done all they can to prevent the morons even travelling and still icolated incidents are seized upon by the press.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

OK when you have been abroad with them then comment. Yes the fans have to take a large proportion of the blame, as they are the ones caught up in the trouble. However things are not always as black and white as you seem to think. For instance Marseille was not helped by the local North African population. Brussels there were the Turks out there looking to get at the English and also a police force intent on payback for Heysel.

Now on Sunday in Lisbon the OB took a very softly softly approach and it worked. However this resort where all this is happening was the prime place for trouble, according to a few of the people that went to Faro in February for the friendly. A long strip of bars and loads of expats. What I do wonder is if a certain number of people caught up in the trouble are holiday makers with no match tickets and just out there for the 'atmosphere'.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Originally posted by the full harris
well that is a load of bollocks for a start.
her bloody picture is in her avatar.

How was I supposed to know that was her? So your telling me that this Simster fella looks like a cartoon cow?

]and you know her dad from years ago. You would have been more harsh but for this fact.

What? I didn't have a f***ing clue who her father is until someone emailed me yesterday afternoon.

Now all I know is that it's Dave The Gaffer who as far as I'm aware I've never met in my life and I've no idea who the f*** he is. If this isn't the case please do enlighten me. Also who the hell are you?

I can't understand why I'm getting such a slating on here. Some silly little know it all spouts a load of crap so Bozza pulls her up on it. She replies with a torrent of abuse which I pull her up on and suddenly I'm the bad guy because she is only a young girl. f***ing get a life away from this site guys, there are real girls out in the real world guys!

If you want to go round causing trouble then sooner or later trouble is going to catch up with you.

Someone informs me she is giving both of us a coating on some other messageboard. So in a similar fashion I'm off to sulk in the corner occasionally muttering four letter expletives because I don't have another messageboard to go too. Everyone say Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I hate you all!

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It would appear that the underlying cause for all the ' violence ' and ' hooliganism ' isn't football, or xenophobia, or patriotism, or even so called ' hooligans '.

It's Alchohol.

If the Portuguese haven't had the sense to close late night bars and clubs, and have instead encouraged everyone ( of whatever nationality ) to get as p***** as farts, then there was only one likely outcome - someone will try and start a fight !

Bring back Prohibition !

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
34064 Fighter Command said:
It would appear that the underlying cause for all the ' violence ' and ' hooliganism ' isn't football, or xenophobia, or patriotism, or even so called ' hooligans '.

It's Alchohol.

If the Portuguese haven't had the sense to close late night bars and clubs, and have instead encouraged everyone ( of whatever nationality ) to get as p***** as farts, then there was only one likely outcome - someone will try and start a fight !

Bring back Prohibition !

I would also suspect that there are some interesting incidents on this resort outside of major football tournaments.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's Alchohol.

Bring back Prohibition !
I don't agree with that. The Portugese have handled things superbly. Closing bars early only brings on a culture of knocking back as much as possible before closing time, then turfing loads of bored pissheads onto the street at the same time!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
But this trouble started at 2.15 am !!!!!!!!!!

Now tell me, how has opening a bar until 2.00 am prevented drunken brawls in the street.

" Closing bars early only brings on a culture of knocking back as much as possible before closing time "

That is a myth perpetuated by the licencing Industry as a justification to allow bars to open longer, so they can make more profit, and for no other reason !

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Blaming the media for reporting trouble...I didn't realise that again these BBC reporters have yet again been throwing chairs at passers-by shortly after throwing pepper-spray at child musicians in Lisbon. Tsk. They should take their press passes away, zero tolerance for that sort of thing...

Of course there are idiot thugs supporting Germany/Croatia/France whoever - I've not seen it seriously suggested anywhere that there aren't, least of all by me. British press report on trouble caused by Brits which could affect the England team. What else would you expect them to do?

How do you know these incidents are being presented"out of proportion"? I find the fact that anywhere between 200 and 400 people rioted in a foreign town last night certainly newsworthy, interesting, worth writing a story about.

"Man attends football match without beating up foreigners" isn't news. "Dog bites man" isn't news. "Man bites dog" is. Fact: every single report on England fans I have seen on the telly has contained some sort of reference to the "peaceful majority" of England fans. That's almost biased, isn't it?

I find this "oh it happens all the time on Saturday nights and the 'media' doesn't report it then so they're obviously exaggerating" argument a bit of a joke, frankly. Certainly it's used been used by hoolies and their apologists on here since we were playing at the Goldstone. So the fact that 100,000 Brits are travelling to Portugal for a football tournament is entirely coincidental to this trouble taking place? What are the chances of that happening?

There is one very simple fact that it seems people find a bit difficult to grasp: there are utter twats in every country following every country's football team - Germany's, England's, probably Latvia's for all I know.

It is the media's job to report what they see - people misbehaving - and every country's decent football fan's role to condemn it, not to bleat on about everyone else other than the twats causing the trouble.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Closing bars early only brings on a culture of knocking back as much as possible before closing time "

That is a myth perpetuated by the licencing Industry as a justification to allow bars to open longer, so they can make more profit, and for no other reason !
Nah. Once the novelty value of all night drinking wears off, I think we'd find people would simply drink until they were ready to go home instead of until closing time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here