Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England fans doing nothing for our reputation again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
Very big of you Boz telling BAG to f*** off just because she posted something that she saw as hooligan behaviour by England fans.

I take it then by your arguement she shouldn't have an opinion as " she wasn't there".

Of course not Dave as I'm very obviously 'not there'. But I spent quite a bit of time yesterday speaking/texting friends and colleagues who are out in Portugal. And all they report is a fantastic atmosphere, with no signs of trouble.

Why some people feel the need to lay into our nation at the first available opportunity is beyond me.

dave the gaffer said:
My mate who is a copper in Romford spent the night cracking skulls of hooligans fighting any foriegn student that happened to be on the streets, be they French or Slovaks....

We all know the hoolies are out there and we all wait with baited breath to when it kicks off, to think it won't is niave in the extreme

All well and good. But I don't see that this has anything to do with English supporters out suporting the team in Portugal.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Much of the trouble in towns at home is as a result of yobs using England matches as an excuse to get drunk and cause trouble. These people are not real football supporters but sully the reputation of real fans.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
ban Dave The Gaffer - he gives me nightmares - ban him i say :jester: :lolol: :drink:

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
"England Fans do nothing for our reputation again"

Yes you might have just posted a media article, but you did so under a title that makes it sound like we've burned lisbon to the ground, and yes i was there.

It was one of the best days i've ever had at football, the Portugese police took one of the most sensible approaches I've seen - one of distant observation and the atmosphere was great as a result.

The pepper spray incident was not definetly englandfans that started it, the police over there admit as much, the Portugese fans were trying to start lots of trouble when we were dropped of in lisbon. It was mainly people that had been drinking all night after their team lost to Greece and targetted England fans as the easy target (they know that it will be portrayed as us as the villans)

When I was dropped of in the main square at 0545 yesterday morning a group of pissed portugese started pushing me around and giving it the big come on then.. how many reports have been posted about this sort of thing??

and while we're talking about all the trouble that's happened in croydon and staffs, does noone relaise that a lot of this will be because the FA and the real fans are trying to do something about the problem and the worst louts are left back in the uk without passports. This type of trouble is not a football problem, its one of general law and order...

A fantastic day spoilt by a overly negative second half and a scouser setting up a french winner.

Would be nice if everyone could give a bit of thought before spouting off about England's problems - and realising that the newspapers don't exaclty give a balanced view of it...

"England Fans enjoy couple of pints and a laugh with French Counterparts" doesn't sell as many papers does it. :angry:

WATFORD NIL

Banned
Sep 2, 2003
YOUR MUM
Bozza said:
I'm sorry but what the f*** are you doing starting a thread with this title? A thread where it appears all you have done is copy and paste an article which, in the main, is positive about the huge numbers of England fans that are in Portugal doing our nation proud.

Are you in Portugal?

Are you talking about the represnatations you have personally experienced?

If the answer to both of the above is 'no' then kindly f*** right off. And/or join the English fan bashing media.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

A prime example of why you should NOT post on NSC when you've had a little too much cider.

And to think, others get banned for bouncing the old thread while Bozza tells people to f*** off. Tut tut. :jester:

(This Safeway, by the way. :wave: )

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
seagull over sevenoaks said:
"England Fans do nothing for our reputation again"

Yes you might have just posted a media article, but you did so under a title that makes it sound like we've burned lisbon to the ground, and yes i was there.

It was one of the best days i've ever had at football, the Portugese police took one of the most sensible approaches I've seen - one of distant observation and the atmosphere was great as a result.

The pepper spray incident was not definetly englandfans that started it, the police over there admit as much, the Portugese fans were trying to start lots of trouble when we were dropped of in lisbon. It was mainly people that had been drinking all night after their team lost to Greece and targetted England fans as the easy target (they know that it will be portrayed as us as the villans)

When I was dropped of in the main square at 0545 yesterday morning a group of pissed portugese started pushing me around and giving it the big come on then.. how many reports have been posted about this sort of thing??

and while we're talking about all the trouble that's happened in croydon and staffs, does noone relaise that a lot of this will be because the FA and the real fans are trying to do something about the problem and the worst louts are left back in the uk without passports. This type of trouble is not a football problem, its one of general law and order...

A fantastic day spoilt by a overly negative second half and a scouser setting up a french winner.

Would be nice if everyone could give a bit of thought before spouting off about England's problems - and realising that the newspapers don't exaclty give a balanced view of it...

"England Fans enjoy couple of pints and a laugh with French Counterparts" doesn't sell as many papers does it. :angry:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you have reinforced everything I was saying.

But I'm sure someone who enjoys soaking up the anti-England fan propoganda that is fed to us will be along to tell you that in a minute.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
yeah, crap does happen before, during and after games. but it happens in every country and at every game. it is just that any crap that england is involved in is highlighted a zillion times more than any other country!
my mum and sister went to the world cup in france and were attacked, had their car kicked in and felt totally threatened. they were completely ignored by the french police and couldn't wait to escape. none of the beach fights were caused by the english and they couldn't believe it when they phoed home and found at that the english were yet again blamed for the whole outbreak!
sadly, it is a reputation that england will not lose in a long long time, and it is up to the real fans to not read too deeply into the shite that most of the papers produce!

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Bozza said:
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about as you have reinforced everything I was saying.

But I'm sure someone who enjoys soaking up the anti-England fan propoganda that is fed to us will be along to tell you that in a minute.

and there was me thinking that we were saying the same sort of thing..

must be tired after the travelling, after all i claerly have no idea what i'm talking about :shootself

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
And the pub was singing "one nil to the hooligans" for a while last night. :(

as a football fan attending games suincee 1975 when every club had its violent hooligan "Firm" which terrorised towns, smashed up trains and grounds on a regular basis whilst the Police, Football authorities did nothing (and I remember the infamous Man Utd Red Army, the Chelsea Headhunters, Portsmouth's 6:57 crew, Millwall's F Troop,in the seventies) and the riotes at the Goldstone by Tottenham, Palace, Chelsea etc , and someone who went to Euro 88 and the 1990 Word Cup, believe me we do not have anything like a hooligan problem that we did have.

These days any trouble is now invariably isolated outside grounds and I would suggest that englnd fans inside grounds are the best behaved fans we have seen for ages considering the amount of provocation they are subjected to, both my opposition fans keen to make a reutation for themselevs, and pupled up riot police ready to smack anyone that moves out of line or objects to what they are doing. No they are not all angels but given an arrest rate on 0.33% I would say that last night was a tremendous advert for the new spirit of inclusive harmony that Fans and the FA have tried to engender through the activities like the Footyball Supporters Association, the Fans Embassy, the England Travel Clup and a more pro-active approch to the policing, and the fact that most fans just want to see the game, rather than teach johnny Foreigner a lesson that the sun never set on the British Empire

And if you expect a balnced view in the media, I thin you're being totally naive. Given the perennial expectation of England fan violence whenever we pay away, the mid-range papers like the Mail and Express and probably the Sun and Mirror will have people out there whose only job is to report trouble, and they will manufacture it if they can't find it.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Amazingly enough as it may be to many of you on here most football hooligans are football fans and the threat that we may be kicked out of the tournement if it kicks off seriously may have got thru some pretty thick skulls and calmed the majority of lads who may not be in active firms but will join in if something happens.

Over 2k hardcore have been banned and this will have an effect. England are not playing anyone who have a particular rep as far as having a ruck goes, well not when they travel anyway although Croatia have a few loons so the threat is not as big as if we were playing Germany or Holland, there is bound to be trouble at some point involving English fans but the fact that last night went relatively trouble free is a good sign.

If the Old Bill over there continue to be as laid back as I have heard they are being it may well keep the trouble down.

I am also interested in the fact that most of the areas that kicked off last night are not well known football areas:

Wakefield,
Boston
Hertfordshire.

Just highlights again its the Friday and Saturday night idiots looking for trouble.
LC:angry:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Calling said:
I am also interested in the fact that most of the areas that kicked off last night are not well known football areas:

Wakefield,
Boston
Hertfordshire.

Just highlights again its the Friday and Saturday night idiots looking for trouble.
LC:angry:
Indeed. Not forgetting Croydon - another small non descript bland town not known for its football. :thumbsup:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I would say yesterday was the first time you noticed the FA's push for 'new fans' kicking in. There were less of the Burberry monsters and more couples in families in colours. The atmosphere around Lisbon was generally good, towards the end of the day people were pissed up and it had the potential to get ugly but it did not. The OB took the stand off approach and so unlike Brussels 4 years ago they did not create a sitiuation.

There was a brief squirmish in the French end when they equalised, but this was mainly down to UEFA and the FFF ballsing up the tickets and a sizeable number ending up on the blackmarket, so the end was mixed. However the OB moved in between the fans and end of. No trouble outside the ground, there did not seem to be the usual characters shouting 'come on England, stand together and do the *****', which was a pleasant change.

However please just accept that like touting trouble happens at football.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
At least 10 Britons are due in court in the Algarve after scuffles broke out in the resort of Albufeira.
About 200 football fans, some of them English, clashed overnight with Portuguese riot police. The Foreign Office said 11 Britons had been held. Those due to appear in court have been charged with public order offences and resisting arrest. Some fans were treated in hospital but the police in Albufeira said their injuries were minor. One England fan in Albufeira told BBC Radio Five Live that police had been "hitting people indiscriminately".

Officers had moved into an area of bars in the town at about 0130 BST after fans spilled into the street. Police cordoned off several streets and patrolled the area with dogs. Police spokesman Captain Manuel Jorge said a crowd of English fans had been drinking in the street near the La Bamba bar. He said: "They began throwing bottles at the police and we had to send in the horses to bring the situation under control." Supporters had also blocked traffic and thrown chairs at police, he said.

It goes on to say that it was only one bottle thrown then the police steamed in and it all went off.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Yep agree UB been twice to Albuferia, is a right laugh but this sort of thing is bound to happen as it gets everyone together against the Old Bill, to be fair UEFA or FIFA or whoever is responsible have now said they accept that the FA/British Governemnt and police have done all it can to control the English fans and that trouble like this will not result in us getting kicked out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here