Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2012 squad [Merged Threads]

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
How can Jordan Henderson be on standby - the most overpriced useless player I have seen this season. Carrick has had one of his best seasons fro Man U and can't get ahead of him. Amazing that Hodgson appears to have given such a high priority to Liverpool players - Carroll and Downing in addition to Henderson - when they had such a poor season and when he couldn't manage at least one of them successfully as their club manager. I reckon Christine Bleakley was consulted on the squad composition for Lampard to be included. The inclusion of Terry shows a total disrespect for the game itself.

It is a squad based on past reputations with the standard inclusion of a couple of youngsters to make it look cosmetically better than it really is.

Totally underwhelming.

Agree but to be fair a few of the kids who would have featured are injured. Thinking of Rodwell and Wilshere who have both looked good in the shirt. But, yes, it is a very depressing read. On Downing's form this season he should stick with just crossing roads instead of bothering with a football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Baines is a solid PL full-back, with the bonus of taking a great set-piece. He is nowhere near Cole's level though, sorry.

Love him or detest him, Ashley Cole is one of England's two best players.

(Joe Hart)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we need five strikers in view of the Rooney position. If Caroll gets injured in the first match, we might have needed Crouch. I would have preferred Adam Johnson to Downing.

Or Caroll could get sent off. The Crouch omission might be an oversight ???

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's a fair point, but I think Milner will be present at more International tournaments for a while, very reliable player.

Also, I would prefer Baines to start. I don't think there's much between him and Cole defensively, and Baines is a fantastic set-piece taker, naturally left footed and is extremely reliable at penalties. I would deffinitely have him in the team, Cole has the experience but I think Baines would offer a lot more.

You talk some shit.

Downing an Baines, are you on a wind up?

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I'm TRYING really hard to think of a reason for selecting Downing and I can only think of the following:

He did have a good year with Villa the season before last, maybe our memories are too short

He is the only left footed attacking midfielder in the squad which might help stretch defences a bit as he won't have to cut back in onto his right foot

He should in theory combine well with Carroll as his club teammate, although you'd expect to have seen more evidence of that over his 36 appearances this season

Or he might just have a picture of Roy Hodgson dressed in lederhosen with his willy in a dachshund.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
have to say i'm disappointed with the squad. should have been Micah Richards instead of Jones, Sturridge for Defoe, and i wouldn't have taken Gerrard or Downing. how the hell Henderson is in the standby group i don't know. and who on earth is Jack Butland? i've never heard of him

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Or Caroll could get sent off. The Crouch omission might be an oversight ???

Quote from RH: thought about having five strikers, but Ashley Young or another midfielder might have to play if Carroll and Rooney are out of the reckoning. (Radio 5)

John Terry included for footballing reasons.

PS: If Albion have a 23 man squad next season, we need four strikers. Macca, Barnes, Agdestein and a new signing ???

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So we have to play our first two games with 1 or 2 strikers from: Danny Welbeck, Andy Carroll and Jermain Defoe? Oh well, that'll save the FA's expenses for staying in the tournament I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here