Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2012 squad [Merged Threads]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with most of that. Although I'm not at all 'dubious' about the two versatile ones. Milner is a must-pick. He can play full-back, both sides of midfield, or in the centre. His inclusion should, for me, have made room for a fifth striker though.
I'm not convinced he won't consider Walcott as a potential 5th striker, in fairness.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I know the scottish league is shit but look how well Jelovic has done for Everton...

So i shall throw the cat amongst the proverbial pigeans and suggest Gary Hooper...

I wanted to see a fresh new squad building for the future and not a load of past decade failures that couldnt do it then and cant do it now...

FFS terry :nono:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Hodgson has ballsed this right up. No Micah Richards, no Peter Crouch and selecting Joleon "f***ing liability" Lescott and the absolute showers of shite that are Barry and Milner.
Actually wanted Hodgson to succeed but he has made the wrong decisions completely here. New era my arse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not convinced he won't consider Walcott as a potential 5th striker, in fairness.

He will, yes, but that misses the point. Milner's ability to cover three positions is wasted when you go and cover them individually anyway. Another example, is that I like Baines, but you don't NEED Cole AND Baines, when you have Lescott (and at a stretch Milner) who could play left back. Its a waste of a space, which could be used for a different option in the attacking third - Zamora / J.Cole / Bent / A'Johnson.

You can never have too many options at the front. If we're 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go, having three spare full-backs and 2 spare holding midfielders is f*** all use to anybody.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
BBC Sport - Sportsday Live - breaking sports news

1308:
BREAKING FOOTBALL NEWS
England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

1311:
FOOTBALL
Birmingham keeper Jack Butland is among the list of five standby players, which also includes Manchester City winger Adam Johnson, Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge, Everton defender Phil Jagielka and Liverpool midfielder JordanHenderson.

Man City 3
Man U 4
Liverpool 4
Arsenal 2
Chelsea 2
Spurs 2

Others 3

None from the north-east

Lancashire 15
London 7
Sticks 1

Lancashire & London v Rest of Europe

BBC - Football Tactics: The Premier League's best - by the numbers

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Well at least John Terry is going to do what he wanted. He will follow in his heroes footsteps and march his team into Poland. (allegedly)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair to Downing (which most aren't :lolol:) he played pretty well in his couple of england games, and who else is going to play wide-left? Milner didn't set it alight in the world-cup and Roy presumably wants a winger in that position.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Normally in the build up to big tournaments a few of our stars get injured - Rio/Becks/Rooney/Owen etc. This time it seems that a lot of the young-blood has got injured instead - Walker/Rodwell/Wilshere, so I guess we have to pick the old guard. and to be fair, they were the ones who qualified us, and they were going to be picked by Capello, we might as well have a smooth transition into the Hodgson era, no sense chopping everybody straight off.

John Terry though. he is really disliked in England now, no-one would mind him being dropped. In that sense its a strong decision taking him. An even stronger one would be starting with Lescott and Cahill, arguably the best two centrebacks in England today. Unlucky for Jagielka though, he was excellent just six months ago alongside Lescott, ENGLAND 1 SPAIN 0

Oct 25, 2003
why are people moaning about downing and milner?

who would you have had instead, out of interest? or is it a case of there just not being many good english midfielders?

the biggest omission is clearly richards....best english right back

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Glen Johnson over Micah Richards does my nut in....

Johnson has to be in my opinion our 4th choice right back at best

I would Say Walker ( shame he is injured ) Richards, Jones and Smalling are better than him at Right back....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here