Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2012 squad [Merged Threads]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All this kerfuffle about his selection is probably completely mute.

Practically everything we talk about on this site is basically just pissing into the wind. I've done it nearly 10,000 times now. That is worrying.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
A couple of things spring to mind. Gerrard is captain so he should be starting so Lampard maybe won't. Carroll and Wellbeck can hold the ball up (maybe) so that's the plan at least until Rooney is available, big forward up front knock it up to him and cross from the wings if possible. Defoe the only fox-in-the-box to come on if we need a goal. Not rocket science.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I read recently (must have been the last World Cup, or maybe an African Cup of Nations?) that one team attempted something similar - they thought they only needed 2 keepers so selected an outfield player in the designated 3rd keeper spot, thinking that they'd been clever and beaten the system. Then FIFA told them that players in those squad spots could only play in goal. Unsurprisingly, the 3rd choice keeper didn't make it off the bench.
It was North Korea (best Korea).

I'd still do it anyway, then bring him on as a defender during the game if neccesary. Your move, FIFA.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is a flaw in your cunning plan - one of the countries tried it at the 2010 WC, and it was ruled that you HAVE to name 3 keepers, and they can only play in goal.

I read recently (must have been the last World Cup, or maybe an African Cup of Nations?) that one team attempted something similar - they thought they only needed 2 keepers so selected an outfield player in the designated 3rd keeper spot, thinking that they'd been clever and beaten the system. Then FIFA told them that players in those squad spots could only play in goal. Unsurprisingly, the 3rd choice keeper didn't make it off the bench.

I'd still do it anyway, then bring him on as a defender during the game if neccesary. Your move, FIFA.

You CAN'T.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

There was a similar one with Paraguay. They asked if Chilavert could play as a striker I think in the third group game in 2002 because of injuries to strikers (I think) and they were told that he couldn't.

Oct 25, 2003
I like being positive & love fact Oxade-Chamberlain is going (if he has balls to play him) but Downing!!
In which way is he better than Adam Johnson??
Johnson is quicker, goes past players better, more skill, scores more goals & has more assists.
I hope Downing gets injured in his time off this week & Johnson is brought in.
However if Oxade-Chamberlain starts I dont care as Downing will just be watching from the bench x

downing isn't better than johnson....but johnson is a RIGHT winger (despite being left footed) and we already have two of those

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The match officials. They'll let you bring Jags on (in a keeper's shirt), but only if you take Hart off. If you want to then play him at CB (with no keeper) that would be okay.
At the very least I'd force them to stop me, exposing the silliness of the rule and bringing the whole house of cards tumbling down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At the very least I'd force them to stop me, exposing the silliness of the rule and bringing the whole house of cards tumbling down.

Its not a silly rule though.

20 outfield players is plenty, and given that you need 1 keeper on the bench, it follows that you need to take 3, to cover for injury or suspension.

FIFA, etc, know full well, that given the opportunity, countries would select 21 players and just 2 keepers, but would then DEMAND to be allowed to draft in a replacement in one got injured. They sensibly, want to avoid this scenario.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The squads in major championships were expanded to 23 from 22 with 3 keepers to avoid this kind of discussion, I would prefer 25 man squads but that is supposed to put poorer nations at a disadvantage.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Conviniently ignores the fact that none of the Man City players are FROM Lancashire, and that Carroll and Downing ARE from the NE. etc.

The point really is Roy Hodgson is a safe Manager. he just picks established players from the top clubs.

However, it Caroll gets injured in the first match he hasn't chosen aafety option of another striker. If our left back gets injured, will he play Leighton Baines? We have got to have another striker with presence, just in case.

PS: for Ashley Young, think Ashley Barnes, hero or villain? Should he be on the left side?

Downing played well for Middlesbrough. Since then he has not done nearly so well.

Lots of the players like Young are not automatic choices for their clubs. Are there any passers from the back in the side?

Last edited:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
few things that spring to mind

-england fans are moany bastards...the starting 11 wont be THAT bad and it's pretty much te best picks from a very average pool of players..plus it's done now so lets look forward
-Carrol may not be the worst shout, he'll hold the ball up and provide that presence we may need
-we will miss Jack Wilshire in a huge way IMO

finally did every squad have to be announced today? and if so where can one find the rest?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
There was me thinking worldwide video evidence was proven. And he's shite. Did you see his display against Liverpool recently?

Evidence can of course be wrong, he MAY be found guilty, but he should be treated like any other person awaiting trial. Or do we live in a more authoritarian regime?

Yes I did, and he wasn't very good, but overall this season he has been good for Chelsea and scores too, even though he is disliked he is good. He is very far from 'Shite'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here