Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2012 squad [Merged Threads]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You do have to ask yourself what some people want don't you. Are we suddenty going to be able to call up Ronaldo or Xavi to solve our problems?

Downing still doesn't make sense though.

All this talk of "same old, same old", what did people want? I mean, seriously. Yes, Richards should be there but there's probably something we don't know about. Jagielka isn't better than Lescott, Terry or Cahill. There are no other options at right back, Walker is injured. Our best two left backs have been selected. Into midfield, Aaron Lennon is just a shit Theo Walcott, it would have made no difference selecting him instead. Carrick possibly should have been included if Parker is injured, Henderson would be picked purely for experience (surely he wouldn't play?!). Other central midfielders who could have gone? Erm... I can't think of any quality. Leon Britton perhaps, maybe Bradley Johnson but even both of them are poorer versions of Lampard and Barry respectively. As for the strikers, Peter Crouch is vastly superior to Welbeck, but if he had been selected there would have been outrage at leaving the young Heskey at home.

All this moaning and complaining, it's amazing. The best squad of English players has been selected. Is it good enough? Probably not. Were there other options? No.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Can't believe no Joe Cole, would have taken him over Downing any day

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me Johnson is better than Walcott, Downing, or Milner. I'd have him and Sturridge over two of those. England have a lot of predictable players in the squad, those would add the ability to do something unexpected. I think you need that at international level. Seems like we could maybe do with another striker too.

But overall the only complaints are minor, England just don't have that good a pool of players.

If Adam Johnson had actually played this season, he would surely have gone. He is comfortably the best English winger when it comes to dribbling and doing something unexpected, as you said. I would have picked Johnson ahead of Ashley Young, that's the only change I would have made I think. Welbeck wouldn't have a place in my England squad either actually, I would have gone with Sturridge.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Because he is abysmal. Carried by Kompany. At fault for so many goals this season

From F365 "City's Premier League win ratio with Kompany was 74%, and without him 71%, while the win ratio with Lescott was 81%, without was 43%."

I would say this season Lescott's been the best English centre-back.
He is first choice centre-back for the English champions.

With the squad as a whole, i've some minor quibbles (Johnson, Defoe, Carrol, Downing) but I can see just about see where he's coming from.
It's certainly got the most amount of decent attacking options I can remember in a tournament squad

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The top scorer in the Premier League bar Rooney is not even on stand by. Micah Richards, if not injured, is a f***ing farce of a decision. Adam Johnson is twice the player Stewart Downing will ever be, and to only have 3 strikers for the first 2 games is a strange decision.
But then again, even with those changes the squad would still be shit, one of the worst i've ever seen, if not the worst.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At least we know this is the last competition Terry and Lampard will compete in. Role on the next World Cup.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To all the people moaning about the squad, that's the best England have. Like it or not, that's the best we can do. Micah Richards MUST be injured, there's no other reason for him not being in there, surely. Nobody left out who is any better. Scholes and Foster, presumably, said no.

Micah Richards, Adam Johnson, Peter Crouch, Grant Holt.

But as I posted earlier the key thing is that they can play together AS A TEAM in tournaments. We know this squad can't.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
BREAKING FOOTBALL NEWS
England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Happy with the keeper selection, glad Ruddy is included.

Pfffttt, Terry would of been out mine, and in with Rio. I still think Richards and Walker (if fit) should be in it.

Cant believe Downing is included. 0 goals, 0 assists, most shots off target. Awful. A Johnson or Lennon should be in there for him. And I would have given Scholes a call.

Quite happy with the forwards, although I probably would have taken Sturridge over Defoe.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Liverpool fans think Downing has been an absolute joke this season. If he isn't good enough to play for the worst Liverpool team for decades, how can he possibly be good enough for England?

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
From F365 "City's Premier League win ratio with Kompany was 74%, and without him 71%, while the win ratio with Lescott was 81%, without was 43%."

I would say this season Lescott's been the best English centre-back.
He is first choice centre-back for the English champions.

With the squad as a whole, i've some minor quibbles (Johnson, Defoe, Carrol, Downing) but I can see just about see where he's coming from.
It's certainly got the most amount of decent attacking options I can remember in a tournament squad

Oh dear. Are you saying Lescott is better than Kompany?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Most of that squad is f***ing PONY.

Under Roy I was hoping for a huge shake up regardless if they were the best players available I was looking to him to select a lot of new faces and give players a chance to prve themselves for 2014 WC instead we have gone for the same old shit who will be to old for 2014, this to me was a real chance to blood some unknowns.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Liverpool fans think Downing has been an absolute joke this season. If he isn't good enough to play for the worst Liverpool team for decades, how can he possibly be good enough for England?

Given how little Liverpool fans seem to know about football these days, this may be the only thing in Downing's favour.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If Adam Johnson had actually played this season, he would surely have gone. He is comfortably the best English winger when it comes to dribbling and doing something unexpected, as you said. I would have picked Johnson ahead of Ashley Young, that's the only change I would have made I think. Welbeck wouldn't have a place in my England squad either actually, I would have gone with Sturridge.
Johnson hasn't played much, especially in the last third of the season, before that he was often coming off the bench and making a good impact. But when you've got Milner in there who must have played even less, Downing and Carroll who have been in and out (and not very good), the argument that he's not played regularly doesn't hold water.

At least he'd be fresh!

absolutely!
The reaction to Hodgson if we don't get through the group will be rabid, but there's not that much difference between ourselves and Sweden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here