Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can't help thinking Gus would make a better job of being England manager. He clearly understands the way players think and has done it at the highest level. A combination of understanding English football together with his continental approach would really pay dividends.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can't help thinking Gus would make a better job of being England manager. He clearly understands the way players think and has done it at the highest level. A combination of understanding English football together with his continental approach would really pay dividends.

Has crossed my min as well, but it is almost certainly too simplistic and tbh f*** England if it means poaching Gus :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd pay to watch Crouch engage in sexy football. It would be quite funny to watch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ref seemed to have a vendetta against Davies

Gosh - no-one saw THAT coming.

I mean when he was called up, no-one said "Won't work. International refs will whistle every single time he challenges for the ball".

Oh, hang on. Yes, they did.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gosh - no-one saw THAT coming.

I mean when he was called up, no-one said "Won't work. International refs will whistle every single time he challenges for the ball".

Oh, hang on. Yes, they did.
Exactly this. What the f*** was Capello thinking of by bringing in a 33 year old CLOD HOPPER anyway?

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Was at game last night,no passion,no belief,negative tac-tics,f*** all,Rooney was shocking,we were so 1 dimensional,cross to crouch 24/7,and try win game 1 nil, maybe if we were playing Brazil,Germany,etc,i could understand that,but not teams we should be killing off with ease.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Last night was back to the passionless matches in South Africa.

Players like Glen Johnson, SWP are just not good enough. Barry played the same ball over and over again (usually to the opposition) and his lack of pace is almost funny for an international.

No pride in the shirt, no passion, no fight, just check your bank balance and smile as the millions build up. World Class. Your having a laugh.

After last night I will seriously think about not bothering to go to Wembley again. No atmosphere, the crowd was never 73k, there must have been 30k empty seats. I will continue to follow England away but that game left me for one of the first times ever thinking its not worth the bother for home games. 500 Montenegro fans were the only ones making any noise last night, all we have is the pathetic sheff wed band, give it a rest, its boring, its dull, its whats wrong with modern football.

Last night was my 148 England game 63 home and 85 away, on the train home I was seriously thinking get to 150 and knock it on the head, but the pull of away games will probably keep me going. I did previously say get to 100 away games or win the world cup and I would stop going to every game, but after yet another poor game at the sterile home of football I am feeling a bit disillusioned!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Players like Glen Johnson, SWP are just not good enough. Barry played the same ball over and over again (usually to the opposition) and his lack of pace is almost funny for an international.

No pride in the shirt, no passion, no fight, just check your bank balance and smile as the millions build up. World Class. Your having a laugh.

After last night I will seriously think about not bothering to go to Wembley again. No atmosphere, the crowd was never 73k, there must have been 30k empty seats. I will continue to follow England away but that game left me for one of the first times ever thinking its not worth the bother for home games. 500 Montenegro fans were the only ones making any noise last night, all we have is the pathetic sheff wed band, give it a rest, its boring, its dull, its whats wrong with modern football.

Last night was my 148 England game 63 home and 85 away, on the train home I was seriously thinking get to 150 and knock it on the head, but the pull of away games will probably keep me going. I did previously say get to 100 away games or win the world cup and I would stop going to every game, but after yet another poor game at the sterile home of football I am feeling a bit disillusioned!

Crap, wasn't it? The worst atmosphere I have ever seen at Wembley. I came away thinking I really cant be arsed with it anymore, and I only live 4 tube stops away. Boring, souless, quiet, sterile and generally everything that is wrong with football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Did you prefer it when the England team went on tour around England? I would think that would have kept the Atmosphere fairly fresh as it ave people the chance to see England play when they wouldnt normally.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I'm gonna put this out there......

I thought England played pretty well last night. We had about 80% of the possession and we passed the ball neatly and concisely. Montenegro did nothing but hack and kick and time-waste and cheat. No interest in even leaving their half let alone attempting to score.

Yes, our final ball was often WANK, but our build-up play was very good and some of Gerrard's passing was fantastic.

But, of course, this being England there is no grey. Its ALWAYS black and white. There is no room for measured opinion. So I'll join in.....

We were awful last night. We were brilliant against Switzerland and were probably the best team in the world ever that night but now we are the worst team in the world. If we win the next game 3-0 or more, we will DEFINITELY win the European Championships, but if we win by less or draw or lose we are the worst team to have ever played the game.

I expected this reaction from NSC. Sadly, it doesn't make it any less tiresome.

...and some of Gerrard's passing was fantastic

NO NO NO NO NO. They were saying this on ITV as well. He he hit some very accurate long passes? Yes. Were they effective? Generally no. Hitting a 60 yard pass is all very well and good, but it's bloody hard to bring down and control a 60 yard pass that's been absolutely tonked at you. As a result, the player receiving the pass often immediately loses the ball (especially if, as Johnson and Young often were, he was being double marked). I'd much MUCH rather see us keep the ball on the floor and play short incisive passes forward for wingers/strikers to run on to than massive swirling passes.

I honestly have no idea how you can say that last night was a decent performance. Did you think the same thing when we played Algeria in the World Cup?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm gonna put this out there......

I thought England played pretty well last night. We had about 80% of the possession and we passed the ball neatly and concisely. Montenegro did nothing but hack and kick and time-waste and cheat. No interest in even leaving their half let alone attempting to score.

Yes, our final ball was often WANK, but our build-up play was very good and some of Gerrard's passing was fantastic.

But, of course, this being England there is no grey. Its ALWAYS black and white. There is no room for measured opinion. So I'll join in.....

We were awful last night. We were brilliant against Switzerland and were probably the best team in the world ever that night but now we are the worst team in the world. If we win the next game 3-0 or more, we will DEFINITELY win the European Championships, but if we win by less or draw or lose we are the worst team to have ever played the game.

I expected this reaction from NSC. Sadly, it doesn't make it any less tiresome.

Understand your point and would generally agree with the gist of it, but they were pretty poor last night. You cant deny that. Worst performance for a while, I would say.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
NO NO NO NO NO. They were saying this on ITV as well. He he hit some very accurate long passes? Yes. Were they effective? Generally no. Hitting a 60 yard pass is all very well and good, but it's bloody hard to bring down and control a 60 yard pass that's been absolutely tonked at you. As a result, the player receiving the pass often immediately loses the ball (especially if, as Johnson and Young often were, he was being double marked). I'd much MUCH rather see us keep the ball on the floor and play short incisive passes forward for wingers/strikers to run on to than massive swirling passes.

I honestly have no idea how you can say that last night was a decent performance. Did you think the same thing when we played Algeria in the World Cup?

I thought we were hideous against Algeria. Last night I thought we were alright. Nothing special by any means, but not awful. On another night we could have stuck 5 past them. The second half we absolutely battered them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My view for what it's worth (as usual there's an incredible amount of negative shit on here):

England were fairly poor though did dominate the game possesion wise but not create anywhere near enough chances against a well oiled organised side who were also dirty as f*** and should've had someone sent off - althought that was the 87th min.

Barry and G.Johnson were very poor - but I've seen both play v well for us so I guess it is a consistancy issue.

There wasn't enough attacking threat atall - the defence needed to push up as Montenegro were very deep and came for the bore draw. Gerrard was picking the ball up too deep...

Montenegro (sp) were def one of the stronger sides we've played. It was sad to see the commentator suddenly changing his tune and mentioning their small population and ranking 'just behind Berkina Faso' once we got to the 70th min. 4oth in the World is actually fairly high compared to where N Ireland / Wales etc are.

We should have won the match due to having virtually all the play

The ref was an awful whistle happy kraut and we'd have won had he given the clear, clear pen that everyone saw but him. But again most on this thread have glossed over that point so they can spread more negative shit. We aren't going to win every game and we didn't lose. Some people are so negative before games and when we finally do play poorly ie last night they go even more negative - yet ignore our convincing wins such as the last 2 games.

I still believe we'll qualify and am fully behind my national team I support.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Absolutely right. Gerrard overdoes his long passes. They can be effective if used sparingly but for the reasons you state, they are completely pointless otherwise.

What was the best thing Gerrard did all night? To my mind it was the ten yard slide rule pass along the ground to Rooney's feet in the box after a move featuring about 15 passes. Why we can't do that more often, LORD only knows.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What was the best thing Gerrard did all night? To my mind it was the ten yard slide rule pass along the ground to Rooney's feet in the box after a move featuring about 15 passes. Why we can't do that more often, LORD only knows.

That was a brilliant move and the Rooney of old would've burried that. Yes we do need to do that a lot more often though you must appreciate Montenegro had loads of players behind the ball and spaces were of a premium...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That was a brilliant move and the Rooney of old would've burried that. Yes we do need to do that a lot more often though you must appreciate Montenegro had loads of players behind the ball and spaces were of a premium...
Good teams pull defensive teams all over the place, and eventually they'll create chances and break through.

However, England are an ordinary team with THICK players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here