Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Could you mention a few examples when two keepers on near equal terms competing for the choice of being first keeper didnt turn out into a complete shitshow? In the nature of the exposed goalie role, trust & confidence is more important than competition. Just look at the Mignolet vs Karius stuff in Liverpool - they both looked like they were going to shit themselves constantly because they knew a mistake or two would make them end up on the bench.

Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Yes absolutely and if you look at 95% of the teams in top football, the managers seemingly agree. In the few cases there's been serious competition between keepers, it always ends with one or both of them getting sold or released at the end of the season. The only exception I can think of is the current iteration of Juventus, where everyone is fine with Buffon randomly replacing Szczesny for a game every now and then.

now, i'm not suggesting for one moment that that martinez would be coming here as backup, nor am I suggesting that we need two 'no.1 standard keepers (though I do agree immensely with vagabond's point that the club would improve on players if the 'right deal' came up, whether or not they were a priority). what I would say is that there's a difference between competition and having two no.1 keepers, which you're right, is an extreme rarity (though it'll be interesting to see how the De Gea/Henderson situation pans out at United next year). I'm not getting involved on the likelihood of this rumour, which I said in the opening post I thought was doubtful at that price, but I think there IS a need for better backup in Ryan's position. He had his best season, imo, when we had Tim Krul as backup, a very capable keeper, and I think having someone a bit better than Button would be very good for him, and would provide us with more reliable depth, in case there was a substantial dip in form/ injury as Romero did for De Gea for quite a while (obviously at a much higher level). Martinez is not that man, but I do believe that the club should target a keeper, if they do not feel Walton is up to/doesn't want the job of being Ryan's understudy

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hasn't Walton been groomed for this very situation?

That was the plan.

However he isn’t up to it

I’m not saying we need Martínez but we do need a better keeper alongside Ryan. Not because it will make Ryan better or anything like that, just because IF he was to get injured we need someone who is good enough to step in.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you’d be happy with Walton or Steele in goal then ?

Because I wouldn’t

Nope. The goalie situation is not good and I would like to see either a talented but already good GK or a seasoned veteran joining as a backup for Ryan. Unlikely to happen during this covid-troubled transfer window, but it would have been preferable to the current situation. Current situation is however better than having a depressed too-good-to-rot-on-a-Brighton-bench Ryan as some very reluctant backup.

What are you talking about Chelsea, Villa, Everton and Sheff United are all in the market for a goalkeeper at the moment the goalkeeper position is not exempt from being upgraded you are talking nonsense.

My feeling on this one is Villa is the most likely destination but it is being reported we are in the mix which suggests the club are in the market for a goalkeeper.

Oh and by the way if he goes there Villa already have Tom Heaton on their books who is working to be fit which would mean they have two very good goalkeepers on their books which kind of puts your theory about having two potential starting goalkeepers in your squad to bed.

You seem to be painting Ryan as untouchable which no player is.

Chelsea got the worst keeper in the league.

Villa, yes Tom Heaton is good but starting a season with a GK currently/recently suffering from a serious knee injury would be to ask for trouble. Them not wanting to go into the season in that situation does not put my "teams should have a clear and obvious first choice keeper" to bed.

Everton got Jordan Pickford.

Sheffield United lost their first choice.

All of these teams are in a very different and worse GK situation.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hasn't Walton been groomed for this very situation?

Dont want to jump the gun or write the fella off. But the only question with Walton, is: Is he good enough to be a number one?

Id suggest the answer to that is No.

Not great with the ball at his feet, hardly glowing reviews from his previous championship seasons. Doesnt make him a bad keeper, but good enough to be a PL 1?

Maybe he has hit the ceiling already?

I just dont see Walton as good enough, he hasn't even played at the level Button did before being a non competition to the number one jersey.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Martinez will only move to a club where he’s the PL first choice.

That’s why he’s leaving Arsenal.

He won’t be if he has a few iffy games though, be nice if we had genuine quality to bring in if that happens. Not a situation we have had for a few years now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The difference is that none of them were limited to 0 minutes of football, which is the most likely thing for backup keeper.

"Thats what happens in football"... give me some examples where the first choice keeper for several years was replaced and deemed to the bench just before or when the season already had started? It is uncommon.

First of all: this kind of stuff happens in Sweden as well, and in every other country. The main difference between English and Swedish football is the ocean of quality that separates the football on the pitch, and that you can usually hear the fans while watching Swedish football on TV. Business & results wise its the same thing: no one will play out of solidarity or sentimental reasons.

The Guardiola vs Joe Hart comparison is not very good. Hart is a poor keeper that had played bad for multiple years. Guardiola told him to **** off, and here is where one of the few similarities come into play: he did not want a disgruntled player expecting to be first choice in his team, so he was sent to Torino.

You dont want massively disappointed players in your team. I'm sure Duffy wasnt happy and I'm sure Murray wasnt happy, but they both knew that they would occasionally play and could deal with it. For a keeper its a different situation.

Anyway, with people from the club repeatingly telling about the difficult economical situation, I "doubt" (I'd like to say that I know they wont..) they are going to sign Martinez. Is he better than Ryan? From what I've seen, yeah, possibly a bit better. Is he "£20m in difficult financial times" better than Ryan? I seriously doubt it.

We'll see. Im on a 100% record of predicting the outcome of rumours so far this summer... if Martinez ****s off to Villa and Brewster joins Brighton, I'm close to godlike in this area...

i'm firmly with [MENTION=3147]Seasider78[/MENTION] in the rebuttal of this guff..... the last line is also massively arrogant.

Villa have in Heaton one of the best keepers in the division, he wont be happy to be number 2 when fit, and nor will Martinez i'm sure, Villa have exactly the same issue of an established PL number 1 keeper already at the club.

As for repeatedly telling everyone of "the difficult economic situation", no shit sherlock...... with no matchday revenue, of course there is, that doesnt mean though that the team wont be strengthened as the 150 odd million per year the PL TV money brings wont cut you any slack if you try and save on the playing side.

It also assumes, that our plan would be to buy Martinez for 20 million and have 2 number ones, therefore spending a Net 20 million. I firmly believe if Martinez comes, Ryan goes.... then for how much? I'd suggest at least 10-15+ at 28 years old, so the net spend would be small.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This window started so well but normal service now resumed and leaving it late for more signings.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The problem was always Maty. Martinez would have to be no:1 . What Brighton want is someone to challenge Maty. If Villa can guarantee No1 then he's going there. Simples.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This window started so well but normal service now resumed and leaving it late for more signings.

Totally agree, we're in a moneyball straight jacket as all around strengthen.

Martinez is a big upgrade on Ryan.....now at Villa, with his reach and command of his area, he will be worth a good many points as we again look on and again wonder just what might have been.

Brewster to Sheff United next.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

24 hours ago you didn't even know the club were rumoured to be looking at a keeper.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
specific credible source or just randoms?

Edit: its says its as good as done and hes at Villa for medical in the sun now. Another one to add to our long list of alleged upgrade targets, who never materialise.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12651346/arsenal-aston-villa-emi-martinez/

Try telling Livepool fans that The Sun is a credible source.

Can't think this was ever on. Like Walton he was a loan to Championship mainstay for many years and only got in the shop window because of Maupay's challenge on Leno. I don't think he offers any more than Ryan and you don't go from no2 at Arsenal to no2 at Brighton.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Try telling Livepool fans that The Sun is a credible source.

Can't think this was ever on. Like Walton he was a loan to Championship mainstay for many years and only got in the shop window because of Maupay's challenge on Leno. I don't think he offers any more than Ryan and you don't go from no2 at Arsenal to no2 at Brighton.

Personally think he's considerably better than Ryan in a few areas.

Ryan is not a bad keeper, and we could do worse. We could however do better, he had some pretty awful performances and Martinez is better imho.

I accept he wouldn't be a number 2 here, but nor will Tom Heaton at Villa.

The goal Arsenal scored against is at the Amex, curler to top corner, regulation save for Martinez or even Walton, beyond the fingertips of our short keeper.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally think he's considerably better than Ryan in a few areas.

Ryan is not a bad keeper, and we could do worse. We could however do better, he had some pretty awful performances and Martinez is better imho.

I accept he wouldn't be a number 2 here, but nor will Tom Heaton at Villa.

The goal Arsenal scored against is at the Amex, curler to top corner, regulation save for Martinez or even Walton, beyond the fingertips of our short keeper.

Regulation - Oh come on.

If that was regulation there wouldn't be any goals scored in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here