Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just a small point but the Chinese league always had a rule that the keeper MUST be Chinese. You could bring in I think 3 foreigners but HAD to have Chinese keeper. Don't think that's changed in the last year or two so Maty can't 'do a Mooy'. Unless he can play left back / striker etc.

Maty can play left back? Why wasn't BG informed?

LottieBelle

Banned
Sep 11, 2020
I think Ryan has had it too easy the last few seasons, competition for the shirt would only be positive however only at a sensible price.
I tend to agree, Ryan has been quality for us but his distribution could be better, a fine shot stopper but he does worry me at Opponents set pieces. Interesting that we are looking to spend this amount on a keeper. I wasnt aware Ryan was unhappy or looking for a move but then none of us saw Mooy looking to leave. Would be expensive back up but IF Martinez was too come in and replace Ryan at least he has prem experience unlike the Turkish fella.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A keeper that could dominate his area and catch high corners and free kicks wouldn’t be a bad thing in fairness

Having watched the clip it actually appears that he stays on his line and is not that dominant though. Got away with quite a few spills but made some full length saves that little Maty would probably not have got anywhere near to

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The Guardian article claims that we would dwarf the wages on offer at Arsenal. I find that very hard to believe!

My comment on wages was in reference to the idea of a £30m+ striker. While Arsenal pay some players crazy money it does appear a lot of their players are on relatively modest wages (for Premier League players). It came out after the whole Guendouzi thing that he earns less than our top earners.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Ryan was a Hughton signing.
2. He is not especially impressive playing out from the back.
3. He is only 6 foot 0.
4. We have lost height at set pieces with the departure of Duffy and Murray, and the possible dropping of BDB from the 1st XI.

The signing of 6 foot 5 Martinez therefore makes some sense, although Ryan has never let us down and has set the bar high. That fingertip save vs Southampton is the best save I've seen any Albion keeper make.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apparently he is currently on £15/£20k a week... so I’d guess any offer from us would be a big uplift.

My comment on wages was in reference to the idea of a £30m+ striker. While Arsenal pay some players crazy money it does appear a lot of their players are on relatively modest wages (for Premier League players). It came out after the whole Guendouzi thing that he earns less than our top earners.

Point taken. I thought he'd automatically be getting more at Arsenal than he would here, but apparently not.

I know some players are always going to get paid more than others in the squad, but surely it can't do much for team spirit when the discrepancies are that huge. Knowing somebody is getting paid more than ten times what you are, and not even playing to earn it, must really p1ss you off!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
99% chance this is the agent telling Villa to get on with it and give his client good money.

1% its some wonky swaparoo involving Ryan.

0% both would be in the squad.

The idea that "Ryan needs competition" is the neo-liberal myth people get brainwashed with spilling over into the football side of the brain.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
99% chance this is the agent telling Villa to get on with it and give his client good money.

1% its some wonky swaparoo involving Ryan.

0% both would be in the squad.

The idea that "Ryan needs competition" is the neo-liberal myth people get brainwashed with spilling over into the football side of the brain.

Why 0% both would be in the squad? If Ryan was injured would you be happy with Steele, Walton or Sanchez in goal for a extended period?

With Walton injured (who I am still not convinced is a credible PL player) I can see why we might be asking questions about strengthening this area.

There are many PL clubs with more than one credible goalkeeping option.

I also don’t understand why you think having someone challenging your position does not result in you raising your game. For example Glenn Murray was not hugely impressed by the signing of Locadia and that drove him on to prove a point. It’s also not just about competition it’s about training and playing with higher quality players that help you raise your game.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
1. Ryan was a Hughton signing.
2. He is not especially impressive playing out from the back.
3. He is only 6 foot 0.
4. We have lost height at set pieces with the departure of Duffy and Murray, and the possible dropping of BDB from the 1st XI.

The signing of 6 foot 5 Martinez therefore makes some sense, although Ryan has never let us down and has set the bar high. That fingertip save vs Southampton is the best save I've seen any Albion keeper make.

a very balanced view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here