Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it’d be interesting to see how Ryan were to react if we were to bring another keeper in :D
Maybe Whitechapel will provide the nuance I need as I don't see undermining Ryan as interesting.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
A snippet from The Athletic:

Could Brighton make a late offer?
Brighton sources have denied the club have made a formal offer for Martinez. But sources close to the player believe an option separate to Aston Villa remains on the table on Friday evening.

In the case of Brighton, it would appear unlikely, given goalkeeper Mat Ryan is firmly established. The Athletic has been told Ryan has had no information to suggest his position will change this season and the Australian does not have a move in the pipeline as things stand this summer.

As such, given Martinez will only leave Arsenal to be the No. 1 goalkeeper elsewhere, Brighton does not seem to be a prime destination.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So you think Ryan isn't giving 100% and he's treading water just because he can?

Yes as said I did think Kuipers was involved in a bit of jersey to and fro.

I think the whole point most, if not all, keepers aren't competing for their place is because of the unnecessary stress it's puts them under.

To think Martinez arriving would build strong performances from Ryan is still saying you believe he's currently phoning it in.

I think he’s performing well, I wouldn’t necessarily drop him even if we get Martinez but I just think when you read players like Dunk, Duffy [in the past] and I believe I recall Stephens saying that knowing you’ve got someone behind you good enough to steal your spot you up your game and training consistently. GK shouldn’t be any different....

So by the same token as you saying I’m thinking he’s phoning it in atm do you honestly think Steele and Walton are strong enough to make Ryan keep looking over his shoulder and up his game enough?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he’s performing well, I wouldn’t necessarily drop him even if we get Martinez but I just think when you read players like Dunk, Duffy [in the past] and I believe I recall Stephens saying that knowing you’ve got someone behind you good enough to steal your spot you up your game and training consistently. GK shouldn’t be any different....

So by the same token as you saying I’m thinking he’s phoning it in atm do you honestly think Steele and Walton are strong enough to make Ryan keep looking over his shoulder and up his game enough?
Looking over his shoulder is the last thing he should be doing.

Why are other positions on the pitch being used to justify an odd decision based around the one place only 1 player can cover (despite what Dunk thinks)

It makes no sense.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Please let this be true. Ryan is painfully average.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
Yep the other team manage to get up the pitch after we have dominated for a period and goal, always the f.ucking same with Ryan. Rarely pulls out that big save to keep us in a game.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Looking over his shoulder is the last thing he should be doing.

Why are other positions on the pitch being used to justify an odd decision based around the one place only 1 player can cover (despite what Dunk thinks)

It makes no sense.

You sir are either the biggest wind up merchant on here or the most obtuse person on here and I can’t decide which....

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Glad to see people more open to this possibility now.

If the right deal comes available the club are clearly in to get a keeper to challenge the first team.

They’re clearly going to have to be diplomatic in the process.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yep the other team manage to get up the pitch after we have dominated for a period and goal, always the f.ucking same with Ryan. Rarely pulls out that big save to keep us in a game.

This. Lost count of how many times we conceded with the oppositions first shot on target last season.

I almost felt slightly gaslit when I made this observation here during some games. He’s clearly a very popular player in the fan base. But evidently some at the club have arrived at the same conclusion.

He’s not a bad keeper, he’s actually been a very good signing and he’s got a great attitude. But this is top end elite sport and a brilliant keeper can literally be the difference of 10+ points a season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
My objection would not be competition for Ryan we are in the PL after all. However, anything we spend on a keeper surely lowers the budget and therefore the quality of the guys we can bring in for the positions we do need to strengthen immediately? A Striker in particular is essential and as a rough rule of thumb money dictates the quality of the striker and the number of players we can attract

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You sir are either the biggest wind up merchant on here or the most obtuse person on here and I can’t decide which....
Im sorry I just can't get my head around this wishy washy thinking.

At least Dwayne and Justice think Ryan is shitehouse and the club should get rid.
I don't agree, but at some point the club will have to improve on Ryan, if they happen to agree with those two, crack on.

But spending big for the sole reason to hope to make what you already have better, I just don't get it.

Esp when Walton is supposed to be an improvement on Button and Steele.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I can only assume MR wants to leave. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly if the right offer came up. Potentially a similar china style move. Nearer home and for bags of cash. The idea we have to upgrade is preposterous - possibly the last position that needs attention after CB - so it’s more likely a one in, one out deal IMO.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Martinez has said he wants first team football now. So if he did come here it wouldnt be to sit on the bench, he could still do that at Arsenal.

I cant see it happening unless Ryan is unhappy and looking to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here