Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I can only assume MR wants to leave. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly if the right offer came up. Potentially a similar china style move. Nearer home and for bags of cash. The idea we have to upgrade is preposterous - possibly the last position that needs attention after CB - so it’s more likely a one in, one out deal IMO.

I'm a fan of Ryan but surely we should always be looking to upgrade any area if the right player is available.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
When Villa were scared of losing Ollie Watkins they bid a stupid amount of money for him. This is TB encouraging Villa to overpay again.
But the thing is, Martinez is a very very good goalkeeper. I'm surprised Chelsea aren't in for him.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can only assume MR wants to leave. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly if the right offer came up. Potentially a similar china style move. Nearer home and for bags of cash. The idea we have to upgrade is preposterous - possibly the last position that needs attention after CB - so it’s more likely a one in, one out deal IMO.

I can probably help to find some common ground by doubting Maty could move on and up.

If the EPL is deemed to top of the sport, then he'll do no better than the Albion.

But all the time the club aren't striving for top 6 his abilities and his employers aspersions are, in my mind, a near perfect fit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've made over £10 million surplus this transfer window, after sales and purchases ( including Dendoncker, Van Hecke, Ella ).

I'd be happy if we just threw the whole remaining budget at a striker now.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We've made over £10 million surplus this transfer window, after sales and purchases ( including Dendoncker, Van Hecke, Ella ).

I'd be happy if we just threw the whole remaining budget at a striker now.

Then you should bloody pay for it yourself! Don't you listen to Swansman and Lawro's left foot?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I can probably help to find some common ground by doubting Maty could move on and up.

If the EPL is deemed to top of the sport, then he'll do no better than the Albion.

But all the time the club aren't striving for top 6 his abilities and his employers aspersions are, in my mind, a near perfect fit.

Totally agree but would add a potential move may not have to be ‘up’ to be a happy one. FWIW I hope he stays and is our no1 next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, you haven’t.
Oh yes I have.

(I can't believe you are making me write this out)

The squad may require 2 strikers on the pitch at any one time.
If one or both strikers are injured or suspended it has no strikers.

The same applies to every other outfield position.

The club requires 1 goalkeeper.
These players rarely get injured and are even less likely to be suspended.

Having one very good goalkeeper is a must.
As is one good enough keeper.
The club is also required to have a third choice who isn't expected to play.

No club not one even in the riches of the Premier League have 2 first choice keepers and a plenty good enough third choice.

Burnley had 3 recently and 2 left the moment Pope made the job his own.
That's what happens with keepers.

United will have 2 this season, but they sure as hell won't have 2 next season.

No club backs up their first choice keeper with a £20m signing.
No keeper worth £20m is a back up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Martinez has said he wants first team football now. So if he did come here it wouldnt be to sit on the bench, he could still do that at Arsenal.

I cant see it happening unless Ryan is unhappy and looking to leave.

... or the club see him as a better keeper maybe?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Im sorry I just can't get my head around this wishy washy thinking.

At least Dwayne and Justice think Ryan is shitehouse and the club should get rid.
I don't agree, but at some point the club will have to improve on Ryan, if they happen to agree with those two, crack on.

But spending big for the sole reason to hope to make what you already have better, I just don't get it.

Esp when Walton is supposed to be an improvement on Button and Steele.

I wasn’t advocating spend big to provide competition merely that our back ups don’t challenge Ryan. A point to which you seemed to take umbrage to. So no it’s not wishy washy thinking.

The left field consideration here is that perhaps we’ve received an offer we can’t refuse for Ryan and that Martinez is the replacement in which case I’m all in.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Oh yes I have.

(I can't believe you are making me write this out)

The squad may require 2 strikers on the pitch at any one time.
If one or both strikers are injured or suspended it has no strikers.

The same applies to every other outfield position.

The club requires 1 goalkeeper.
These players rarely get injured and are even less likely to be suspended.

Having one very good goalkeeper is a must.
As is one good enough keeper.
The club is also required to have a third choice who isn't expected to play.

No club not one even in the riches of the Premier League have 2 first choice keepers and a plenty good enough third choice.

Burnley had 3 recently and 2 left the moment Pope made the job his own.
That's what happens with keepers.

United will have 2 this season, but they sure as hell won't have 2 next season.

No club backs up their first choice keeper with a £20m signing.
No keeper worth £20m is a back up.

Thank you for answeringish my question.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn’t advocating spend big to provide competition merely that our back ups don’t challenge Ryan. A point to which you seemed to take umbrage to. So no it’s not wishy washy thinking.

The left field consideration here is that perhaps we’ve received an offer we can’t refuse for Ryan and that Martinez is the replacement in which case I’m all in.

But Button has left and Walton come in.

Is that not the club improving the keeper options below Ryan?

If Ryan's off then of course.
But that's not what you came into, when quoting my questions.
You certainly didn't make it clear you were talking about one or the other, as I was questioning the logic in having both.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

This was your opening line:-

I think he’s performing well, I wouldn’t necessarily drop him even if we get Martinez

That'll be where the confusion comes from.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From the Guardian tonight.

7DECD75A-7329-4EDC-B590-0BC59836CB8F.png

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
I wonder if a swap deal might be on the cards, with Maty heading to Arsenal as #2. No idea if Maty would want to be a #2, but I do believe Maty was a massive Arsenal fan growing up, so in some ways it could be a dream move for him.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Just a small point but the Chinese league always had a rule that the keeper MUST be Chinese. You could bring in I think 3 foreigners but HAD to have Chinese keeper. Don't think that's changed in the last year or two so Maty can't 'do a Mooy'. Unless he can play left back / striker etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here