Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Embarrassing partners......

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
Isn't that a recent ruling, ie. competition for city status?

Not sure about the competition, but certainly conferring City Status has always been an award:

Grant of City Status

City status is a rare mark of distinction granted by the Sovereign and conferred by Letters Patent. It is granted by personal Command of the Queen, on the advice of Her Ministers.

Additional Functions/Powers Conferred by City Status

The grant of city status is purely honorific; it confers no additional powers or functions on the town.

Criteria

City status is not, and never has been, a right which can be claimed by a town fulfilling certain conditions. The use of specific criteria could lead to a town claiming city status as of right, which in turn might devalue the honour. All applications are considered on their individual merits.

Awards Since 1900

Preston
Newport
Stirling
Lisburn
Newry

Brighton & Hove
Inverness
Wolverhampton

Armagh
St David's

Sunderland (40th Anniversary of Queen's Accession to the throne)

Derby (Queen's Silver Jubilee)

Swansea (Investiture of HRH The Prince of Wales)

Southampton

Cambridge

Lancaster (George VI's Coronation)

Plymouth

Portsmouth
Salford

Stoke-on-Trent

Leicester

Cardiff

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The concept of a city being defined by being a town with a cathedral was something to which the sovereign often adhered to when the church held a lot more power than it does now.

Nowadays, far more criteria are used, including heritage, culture, social status, commerce and so on. However, when towns are invited to ask for city status, the guidelines are rarely clear as to what would make a succesful bid.

Point in case: The dignitaries in the town of Chelmsford moaned its arse off when Brighton & Hove were chosen, because 'the guidelines weren't clear and Chelmsford has far more history than Brighton...'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
There's a new bar, called +venture, opened down the road from me in Balham.

In all seriousness, my other half thought it was called 'Plusventure'.

:thud:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wozza said:
There's a new bar, called +venture, opened down the road from me in Balham.

In all seriousness, my other half thought it was called 'Plusventure'.

:thud:

f*** me how stupid is that when of course we all know it reads nothing like that :(

Please enlighten me :dunce:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Icy Gull said:
f*** me how stupid is that when of course we all know it reads nothing like that :(

Please enlighten me :dunce:
Adventure?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Adventure?

as I said :dunce:. My excuse is that I have always been shite at maths :D

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Went out with one lass, on her birthday a couple of her friends brought her an Austrian Sacher Torte (a gorgeous chocolate cake, high in calories and incredibly tasty), it had the word Sacher in chocolate on the top. One of the girls asked, who is Sacher, to which another replied, I think he was the man who I bought the cake from. Granted she wasn't as thick as her mates but the phrase "guilt by association" came to mind, in the end I dumped her because she was a Tory.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
my ex had never heard of Eric Clapton despite going to see a Cream tribute band at least twice and claiming Layla was her favourite song....

MYOB said:
my ex had never heard of Eric Clapton despite going to see a Cream tribute band at least twice and claiming Layla was her favourite song....

Is she some kind of atheist? ;)

In America particularly, many people will cite Santana as brilliant for having composed 'Black Magic Woman', when that was actually by Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green.
Greeny was the replacement for Clapton-almighty in the Bluesbreakers, and John Mayall rated him as even better than Eric!

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I had been showing my ex, over a period of weeks, how to check the oil, water, tyre pressures etc. on her car.

So prior to a long trip to York I suggested that she do the checks herself...... so off she went.

About 30 mins later she came in beaming from ear to ear.

"I've done it - everything was OK, but the oil was a bit low. So I topped it up.", she beamed with pride.

"Well done love, what was the dip-stick level after you topped it up?", I enquired.

"Oh, I didn't need to check as I filled it to the brim."

:down:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Eddie the Seagull said:
I had been showing my ex, over a period of weeks, how to check the oil, water, tyre pressures etc. on her car.

So prior to a long trip to York I suggested that she do the checks herself...... so off she went.

About 30 mins later she came in beaming from ear to ear.

"I've done it - everything was OK, but the oil was a bit low. So I topped it up.", she beamed with pride.

"Well done love, what was the dip-stick level after you topped it up?", I enquired.

"Oh, I didn't need to check as I filled it to the brim."

:down:

:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RoyalAli said:
My Girlfriend thought that the Isle of Dogs was in Scotland.

Along with Jersey and Guernsey, AND the Isle of Man....
But you took her to the Madjedki, told her "this is what an intimidating atmosphere feels like" and she turned around and said "do me a favour you ReaDINg spacker" :D

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i once took an ex to watch us play away at colchester, and we were playing in our yellow away strip (which seemed to escape her notice til "the yellow team scored") she asked why we were all cheering colchester. i then spent 10 minutes explaining that we were the away team and had to change strips cos we both played in blue and white.....to which she replied "why? surely all the players know each other" didnt last long after that:nono:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
RoyalAli said:
My Girlfriend thought that the Isle of Dogs was in Scotland.

Along with Jersey and Guernsey, AND the Isle of Man....

you have a girlfiend?

Uncle Buck said you were called sally

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
RoyalAli said:
If I was called Sally, surely my Username would be RoyalSally?

Whoooosh.....

sorry I got the wrong end of the stick...I thought Royal Ali meant you were a Queen

whaddamistakatomaka

BTW what does whoooosh mean? Is that some subtle reaDINg joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here