Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

elliott bennett to norwich?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Tony Bloom is a professional gambler. When playing the tables, he backs himself. Likewise, he believes in BHAFC, so is as sure as he can be that his investment, though considerable, is a sound one. He has no doubt that both he and the club will reap the rewards of his investment.

Tony is not a professional gambler, he does it as a hobby.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tony Bloom is a professional gambler. When playing the tables, he backs himself. Likewise, he believes in BHAFC, so is as sure as he can be that his investment, though considerable, is a sound one. He has no doubt that both he and the club will reap the rewards of his investment.

Utterly incorrect. TB has made perfectly clear, that in contrast to his normal business dealings, this is absolutely NOT, in any way, a 'sensible' or 'sound' investment. He knows he'll never see most of that money again. Its all just about the love.

All hail Tony.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Bennett is not leaving Brighton.

With regard to the subject of this thread, the above is all that needs to be said. Our chairman has told Norwich City's chairman that Elliott Bennett, who has just committed himself to our club until June 2014, IS NOT FOR SALE.

End of discussion...

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
With regard to the subject of this thread, the above is all that needs to be said. Our chairman has told Norwich City's chairman that Elliott Bennett, who has just committed himself to our club until June 2014, IS NOT FOR SALE.

End of discussion...

tbf he said he doesn't want to sell him, which isn't quite the same thing

no team usually wants to sell their best players

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I disagree, lots of clubs want to sell their best players, they just say the opposite! Bloom clearly doesn't fit that brief.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think the fact that we were quite willing to sell you our captain not long ago, but are fighting this one shows that we are emphatic about keeping Bennett.
Unfortunately it is always ultimately down to player power.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
tbf he said he doesn't want to sell him, which isn't quite the same thing

no team usually wants to sell their best players

No, Bloom means it. I very much doubt that Norwich would match our valuation in any case, a million for a player of Bennett's quality is a bit of a joke. He would command the sort of fee that only Premier clubs would be prepared to pay.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
No, Bloom means it. I very much doubt that Norwich would match our valuation in any case, a million for a player of Bennett's quality is a bit of a joke. He would command the sort of fee that only Premier clubs would be prepared to pay.

yep i don't think we can afford silly money which is what it would take

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
yep i don't think we can afford silly money which is what it would take

Exactly, what his 'true' value is can only be guessed at but as he's likely to be our Player of the Season in the face of stiff opposition I think it's fair to say that our valuation, whilst high to sum, is a reflaction of his value to this club. Granted, if Norwich do get promoted I would expect another attempt and assuming we have gone up it would be likely to be accepted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Mr Bowkett presented a slide show with all the financial facts and figures the salient points of which are as follows.

1. The clubs finances were extremely precarious following relegation

2. Restructuring of debt had taken place thanks to help from AXA and LBG. we had debt and interest payment holidays the upshot of which will lead to the debt being paid down by 2022 instead of 2018.

3. There was £2.5 million of exceptional payments last year. £626k of which was fines and payments to Colchester for PL's move to NCFC.

4. 52 Prospective sugar daddies were approached and although interest was shown nobody came forward when asked the question "show me the money".

5. The promise was made that all non core (non football) assets would be disposed off to pay down the debt.

6. Catering profits exceed many Prem clubs entire catering turnover.

There was lots of other financial stuff but basically it was that we had to get out of league one quickly and that we are £4 million better off by being in the championship.

From Norwich's AGM tonight, interesting for a club supposedly able to come and take our best players at a whim

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
oh so that explains why brighton went public :wink:
They "went public" because the rumour of Norwich's interest spread widely the day before the game and in his post match interview Poyet was asked about it.

But even if it is some kind of plan on the clubs part, that doesn't mean they want to sell. Publicly NOT selling a player despite interest from a club in a better position would be a good way of deflecting interest in other players.

NorwichLeJuge

Jan 18, 2011
Mr Bowkett presented a slide show with all the financial facts and figures the salient points of which are as follows.

1. The clubs finances were extremely precarious following relegation

2. Restructuring of debt had taken place thanks to help from AXA and LBG. we had debt and interest payment holidays the upshot of which will lead to the debt being paid down by 2022 instead of 2018.

3. There was £2.5 million of exceptional payments last year. £626k of which was fines and payments to Colchester for PL's move to NCFC.

4. 52 Prospective sugar daddies were approached and although interest was shown nobody came forward when asked the question "show me the money".

5. The promise was made that all non core (non football) assets would be disposed off to pay down the debt.

6. Catering profits exceed many Prem clubs entire catering turnover.

There was lots of other financial stuff but basically it was that we had to get out of league one quickly and that we are £4 million better off by being in the championship.

From Norwich's AGM tonight, interesting for a club supposedly able to come and take our best players at a whim

Yeah, they also said that if we gain promotion and stay there for 2 seasons we could extend the ground to a 35,500 capacity; it would take us 9 years to pay back the £20m cost. Now, remind me again, how long will it take you to pay back the cost of your 22,500 seater?

They also said that promotion is worth £90m without kicking a ball, that is effectively the cost of your new stadium. Brighton just aren't going to get there any time soon, sorry to break it to you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yeah, they also said that if we gain promotion and stay there for 2 seasons we could extend the ground to a 35,500 capacity; it would take us 9 years to pay back the £20m cost. Now, remind me again, how long will it take you to pay back the cost of your 22,500 seater?

They also said that promotion is worth £90m without kicking a ball, that is effectively the cost of your new stadium. Brighton just aren't going to get there any time soon, sorry to break it to you.

As far as I am aware, we don't have to pay anything back on the 'loan' for 25 years and it is interest free.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

You may like to take a few minutes to find out how our stadium is being funded.

Also were you not in the same position as us this time last year?

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon

You dont know what yor talking about mate! Its a intrest free loan of tony blooms own money! 90million of his own money, just shows how much he is worth if he can just do that!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes thanks. What we need is an arrogant carrot crunching tosspot to tell us like it is about our club rather than the people on this site who actually KNOW about our club and a couple of my Albion fan mates who actually went to school with Tony Bloom and know exactly what he's all about.

Get it into your dumb, inbred, pedestrianised city centre head that you haven't got a clue about our finances, despite what countless people have told you. That debt is interest free and no threat to the club at all, because the creditor is a fabulously wealthy Albion fan. We can't believe our luck either, but there it is. You can bleat on about being prudent and all that, but the situation with our club is that we're fortunate enough to have been able to bypass all of that. No steady building necessary, and our ground will seat 30,000+ before yours will. Sorry to piss on your cornflakes, but you can run along now. :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here