Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

elliott bennett to norwich?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
. Now, remind me again, how long will it take you to pay back the cost of your 22,500 seater?

FAIL. You need to read the small print re our stadium, old chap. The £94 million has come entirely out of the chairman's pocket (he's a lifelong fan with long family connections to the club, not some dodgy Middle Eastern chancer, a la Pompey). It is also interest free, and not payable for many many years.

Realistically, and I'm no expert, I would question whether he ever really expects to get that money back, or whether he's even bothered by that fact, after all, how many Football League clubs have £94 million to play with? At our season ticket presentation the other week, we were told that we are currently the only club in the entire league with no interest-based debt. Or something like that, I may have the terminology slightly wrong. Either way, we're not exactly sitting here begging Norwich, or anyone else, to hand over a wedge of cash.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To make you feel more at home.

im-alan-patridge-logo.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
no

Leeds United
25 30 57
Norwich
26 31 54
Charlton
25 20 51
Colchester
24 13 45
Huddersfield
24 19 41
Swindon
23 4 41

:lolol: Fair play to you :thumbsup:

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Yes thanks. What we need is an arrogant carrot crunching tosspot to tell us like it is about our club rather than the people on this site who actually KNOW about our club and a couple of my Albion fan mates who actually went to school with Tony Bloom and know exactly what he's all about.

Get it into your dumb, inbred, pedestrianised city centre head that you haven't got a clue about our finances, despite what countless people have told you. That debt is interest free and no threat to the club at all, because the creditor is a fabulously wealthy Albion fan. We can't believe our luck either, but there it is. You can bleat on about being prudent and all that, but the situation with our club is that we're fortunate enough to have been able to bypass all of that. No steady building necessary, and our ground will seat 30,000+ before yours will. Sorry to piss on your cornflakes, but you can run along now. :bigwave:

why are so many of your fans abusive?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The difficulty we have here is that our friend from Norwich cannot accept there is an element of philanthropy in Tony's funding. Therefore, he is viewing our situation the same way he would had we been lent money from an investor, bank etc. Those that know Tony Bloom know that is wrong. NLJ doesn't know that and won't accept that. I suppose it does seem a little fanciful in modern football, we are just very fortunate I guess.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself:

There are 3 or 4 NCFC fans on here who will not listen to what they have been told. We are in an extremely fortunate position in that a wealthy benefactor has effectively paid for the stadium and only wants his money back as and when the club can afford to pay it back. If, in 25 years time it isn't fully paid for, he'll take it in shares.

Now several of us have said this to you and your fellow fans on this thread, but none of you want to listen. Why? Because you have had to do it the right way, through prudent borrowing and gradual expansion. There's nothing wrong with that, indeed it is highly commendable. But please don't come on here telling us that we'll have to go through 15 years of very slooooow expansion to even dream of getting where you are now, because that simply isn't the case, as outlined above. After reading this 15 times in one thread, my patience finally snapped.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
The difficulty we have here is that our friend from Norwich cannot accept there is an element of philanthropy in Tony's funding. Therefore, he is viewing our situation the same way he would had we been lent money from an investor, bank etc. Those that know Tony Bloom know that is wrong. NLJ doesn't know that and won't accept that. I suppose it does seem a little fanciful in modern football, we are just very fortunate I guess.

The banks done us a massive favour when they turned the funding down!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

To be fair, the bloke he was responding to was extremely condescending, particularly bearing in mind- as you have pointed out- that less than a year ago you were in our position, a third division team. Now suddenly you're going well on the pitch and he thinks clubs like the Albion are fair game.

I actually thought that while Norwich were in this league, they weren't by a long shot one of the worst offenders in terms of thinking they were too big, too good, too important to be down there, certainly not by comparison to the likes of Leeds and Southampton. You came down, got on with the job, and didn't piss off too many other teams on the way, well only Colchester. But obviously hitting a bit of form in the Championship has caused a few of your supporters to start getting ahead of themselves.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I don't know Mike, though I am not sure "so many" of our fans are abusive. Why would a Norwich fan assume to know the intentions of Tony Bloom?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Please - I know this is a forum - but can we stop talking about Elliott for a while? Everytime I see this thread updated on the main screen my heart skips a beat. I'm getting old. It's not good for me.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
To be fair, the bloke he was responding to was extremely condescending, particularly bearing in mind- as you have pointed out- that less than a year ago you were in our position, a third division team. Now suddenly you're going well on the pitch and he thinks clubs like the Albion are fair game.

I actually thought that while Norwich were in this league, they weren't by a long shot one of the worst offenders in terms of thinking they were too big, too good, too important to be down there, certainly not by comparison to the likes of Leeds and Southampton. You came down, got on with the job, and didn't piss off too many other teams on the way, well only Colchester. But obviously hitting a bit of form in the Championship has caused a few of your supporters to start getting ahead of themselves.

yeah i suppose, altho actually we pissed off many more than col u last year. a lot of clubs were seething that when they took an allocation, we sold the rest to our own fans and they couldn't get any more tickets later on when they'd sold out what they originally wanted.

we used to be a soft touch but the new chief exec we call mcnasty for how he deals with stuff. seems to be working. hopefully you'll be very pissed off with norwich come feb 1st :wink:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I think that may have started in response to a suggestion that Brighton are "skint skint!" Which is understandable, no? Anyway, I am not going to get into the sparring, nothing at all against Norwich, or indeed their attempts to sign Bennett, it's completely understandable. Of course I hope, and remain confident, that it'll be you that's disappointed. If another creative player is necessary for your ambitions this season then one assumes you will have a Plan B. Best of luck with your 2nd pick. :wink:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I quite like Norwich as a town and I quite like their football club although I am less than impressed with one or two of their fans.
Whether or not they land Bennett I am beginning to hope that they spend big time in this transfer window and then fail to get promotion. Looking at results so far and future fixtures I think that not only are they not the nailed on certainties they believe themselves to be, but they are in fact likely to fall short by some distance with Swansea, Cardiff, Leeds and Watford better placed. However if they spend now, fully knowing how tenuous their existing financial position is, they will deserve to go into freefall. Chasing the dream with money you don't have? Now where have we seen that before?

I predict that by the start of next season they will have lost their manager, their best players, and be starting the season in the Championship on -10 points.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I quite like Norwich as a town and I quite like their football club although I am less than impressed with one or two of their fans.
Whether or not they land Bennett I am beginning to hope that they spend big time in this transfer window and then fail to get promotion. Looking at results so far and future fixtures I think that not only are they not the nailed on certainties they believe themselves to be, but they are in fact likely to fall short by some distance with Swansea, Cardiff, Leeds and Watford better placed. However if they spend now, fully knowing how tenuous their existing financial position is, they will deserve to go into freefall. Chasing the dream with money you don't have? Now where have we seen that before?

I predict that by the start of next season they will have lost their manager, their best players, and be starting the season in the Championship on -10 points.

it's a city and no idea who has been saying we're nailed on certs tho i would say if we don't finish top 6 now it would be a failure. and there's no chance we'll be making that big a risk. we're a year ahead of our 7 year plan anyway. i don't think watford and leeds are better placed either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here