Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Eddie nkitiah

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Very unfair. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is a good poster the vast majority of the time. (Just don’t get him going on Big Jurg [emoji23] )

Not read the thread, but if he’s saying our existing forwards aren’t good enough, and the Arsenal forward (Nketiah?) isnt any better, personally I think he’s spot on!

That said still think we’ll be fine….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will not be fine if we do nothing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very unfair. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is a good poster the vast majority of the time. (Just don’t get him going on Big Jurg [emoji23] )

Not read the thread, but if he’s saying our existing forwards aren’t good enough, and the Arsenal forward (Nketiah?) isnt any better, personally I think he’s spot on!

That said still think we’ll be fine….

Nah it's worse than that.

After yet another game of strikers not striking.
Woodwork being twanged.
Conceding dead ball goals.

I'm suggesting the problem might not actually be the players.

As we all know everything is tolerated here except THAT.

6 days time I'll be chugging up the motorway to watch 80% possession, 1 shot on target and 3 points for Burnley.

Sure we finished theoretical 12th last season if we discount all the loses, draws and bad luck.

But what if last season wasn't littered with bad luck?
What if that was normal?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Woodwork being twanged.

6 days time I'll be chugging up the motorway to watch 80% possession, 1 shot on target and 3 points for Burnley.

Sure we finished theoretical 12th last season if we discount all the loses, draws and bad luck.

What if that was normal?

Let’s just get this absolutely straight, you don’t hold the forwards accountable for any of the comedy misses last season? The TWO missed penalties against West Brom, the header over the bar from 1 yard out against Sheff Utd, the woodwork being thumped 5 times against Man Utd, none of that is on the players? That’s all Potter’s fault?
Listen, myself, and I’m sure many others on here don’t believe Potter is the messiah, sure he makes mistakes and as yet has failed to find a way through the division’s more turgid teams, but to blame him for a season of some the worst finishing (the stats are there to prove it) you are ever likely to see then you’re possibly watching a different sport or trying too hard to be a contrarian.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What if that was normal?

It's taken you a long time to come to the right conclusion, but welcome to reality. If a game could be won by the amount of passes completed, or possession earned, then we would be top of the league, but unfortunately it's the number of goals scored that wins matches, and that's where we fail miserably. :cry:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
All this talk about strikers has anyone considered in somewhat masochistic fashion the possibility of having Maupay and Andone on the pitch at the same time ! If they could channel that bat shite mentality into goal scoring we'd be laughing. Sadly more chance of them fighting each other!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All this talk about strikers has anyone considered in somewhat masochistic fashion the possibility of having Maupay and Andone on the pitch at the same time ! If they could channel that bat shite mentality into goal scoring we'd be laughing. Sadly more chance of them fighting each other!

Sadly that's very true. I also think that they are a bit too like for like in other areas too, we need them to offer something different really. Murray and Barnes, Zamora and Steele, Mellor and Ward, all great combos, but each player very different from his partner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let’s just get this absolutely straight, you don’t hold the forwards accountable for any of the comedy misses last season? The TWO missed penalties against West Brom, the header over the bar from 1 yard out against Sheff Utd, the woodwork being thumped 5 times against Man Utd, none of that is on the players? That’s all Potter’s fault?
Listen, myself, and I’m sure many others on here don’t believe Potter is the messiah, sure he makes mistakes and as yet has failed to find a way through the division’s more turgid teams, but to blame him for a season of some the worst finishing (the stats are there to prove it) you are ever likely to see then you’re possibly watching a different sport or trying too hard to be a contrarian.

At some point people have to say 'hang on a minute'.

The first home game of the season was IDENTICAL to 90% of last season's home games and a fair chunk of the season before.

The answer to that ought not be:-

'well it's good to get that out of the system in preseason'

Sure I've let my opinion be coloured by the absolute clowns who have spent the entire off season responding to the hint of criticism with:-

'yes but if ... ... we would have finished 12th'.

Mr Bloom has given GPott notice and therefore by extension himself, Barbie and Ash-o.

So I'm sure all will come good.
But at the moment nothing has changed.

What do your instincts tell you about the Burnley game!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Woodwork being twanged.

What if that was normal?

Then I disagree 😃.

IMO - offensively GP has done a fairly good job, we are creating chances, but just can’t finish.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m afraid in terms of forwards our recruitment since promotion has not been good enough, CH suffered from it and so has GP. Murray was arguably the last decent forward signing, I simply don’t rate the others particularly - I would admit to being pleased when we signed Andone though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then I disagree 😃.

IMO - offensively GP has done a fairly good job, we are creating chances, but just can’t finish.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m afraid in terms of forwards our recruitment since promotion has not been good enough, CH suffered from it and so has GP. Murray was arguably the last decent forward signing, I simply don’t rate the others particularly - I would admit to being pleased when we signed Andone though.

I wouldn't limit it to since promotion.

The (financial) blind spot the Albion v1.2 has had regarding strikers could easily have cost them 10's of millions in lost revenue alone.
That's before taking into account money paid to the huge list of 'panic buys'

The relentless chase for something that just doesn't exist, a cheap, unknown, fit, striker has been their only hiccup.
One I get, when losing tens of millions a year, get that one deal wrong and you're doubley screwed.
But then again I didn't buy a football club and have my henchman every 6 months tell the 'customers', "blimey strikers are really expensive, who knew?"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Then I disagree ��.

Blaming Potter for our misfiring forwards is actually laughable imo. The style of football makes the chances. :shrug:

If anyone is to blame it’s TB for refusing to pay the going rate. I am not complaining as I understand the reasoning behind it but let’s not try and blame the monkey rather than the organ grinder.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
100% this.

I’ve seen a fair bit of him what with the Mrs being Arsenal and yes he’s good, quick, intelligent and has something about him but being asked to be the main man in a lower Prem team with all the pressure that brings is very different to coming on for 20 minutes here and there when the game is won for a team usually in the top six. Vastly different.

See also Rhian Brewster.

One of the differences is that Brewster had played precisely zero minutes in the Premier League when he went to Sheff Utd. It was a huge gamble. Nketiah has played about 40 games for Arsenal, and had a great record for England U21s. I've not seen much of him, but I listen to Alan Davies's podcast regularly, and he's a big fan of his. I respect his judgement.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Blaming Potter for our misfiring forwards is actually laughable imo. The style of football makes the chances. :shrug:

If anyone is to blame it’s TB for refusing to pay the going rate. I am not complaining as I understand the reasoning behind it but let’s not try and blame the monkey rather than the organ grinder.

Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

We’re playing the football, getting the ball in the right place, but are completely incompetent when it comes to finishing.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Surely if we were interested then this would of been part of the Ben White deal.

Economically keeping them separate makes sense in view any disagreements over the second valuation impacts the first

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

We’re playing the football, getting the ball in the right place, but are completely incompetent when it comes to finishing.

But they aren't getting the ball in the right place - that's the problem we all agree on.

The right place is the back of the net.

How long does the list of players with annually decreasing goal tally's have to become for them to not all be individual error?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It certainly seems as if we are turning the heat up on the striker signing. We have our group of targets which I assume include Nunez, Eduard, and Nketiah.
If we’ve put offers in for Nunez and Eduard previously and they aren’t being accepted as yet, then a well publicised enquiry about Nketiah is likely to smoke out whether or not Benfica and Celtic want to sell their players. Surely Celtic will want the money if their player only has 12 months remaining on his contract.
I’d be happy with any one of these three. What I think we’d get with Nketiah is a pacy forward who wants to prove himself as a regular starter in the Premier League. His attitude seems better than Eduard. I can see this one concluding this week. Hopefully Cucurella to follow and then the Japanese winger.
I can also see why we might be interested in Mason Holgate as he’d add the pace to the centre back three that we lost with White going. Would allow Veltman to move to RWB where he can battle it out with Tariq on his return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here