Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**Eastbourne Borough v Albion - Official Thread**

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Remember also, friendly or not the teams we've played will raise their game against professionals, still why bother with facts eh ?

OK - ignoring the trolls and imbeciles and finally having a decent connection and keyboard, here are my thoughts.

The overriding one is that it seems as if Gus is going further with the fitness regime than I have seen in previous preseasons. Normally, the first two games are pedestrian because the players have been run into the ground but based on Gus's comments about triallists, they have been mostly running in training this week as well. And it showed in the second half as they tired very quickly.

I am also intrigued as to the choice of teams for consecutive games. 3 of the probable first choice back four played alongside a kid who looked twelve and was exposed and skinned for their second goal. Strange when Painter was fit and played last night.

Many other observations on the performace will probably be useless given the conditions. In the first half, the Boro keeper could barely clear his penalty area with goal kicks, the wind was that strong. Because of that, Boro hardly had a kick in the first half and the possession was probably 80% - 20%. In the second half, a tiring Albion succumbed to a fresh and keen Boro reserve side with the gale at their back. Missed their first goal so can't comment but the second was caused by Smith being exposed and a resulting pinball melee after a good save from the initial shot. And their third goal seemed to be a wind assisted freak although I was down the other end so didn't have the best perspective but essentially the youth team were caught cold having just come on.

Positives from the game were the quality of possession in the first half and the solid games that Battipedi, Barnes, Bennett and Kish had. The main worry for me was that Gus still seems unsure of his best formation. 4-5-1 meant we looked like Spain when passing but with England's cutting edge. 4-4-2 seemed to involve getting it forward quicker without success and without the quality of possession. Neither worked that well.

Anyway, I would guess that the fitness stage must be drawing to a close and therefore we will see a strong team throughout the game from now on. Aberdeen will be the best indicator of form when we have a settled team that have not been run into the ground during the week. It does seem that we might be a friendly short though as there are only 3 left.

And as for the triallists, a half each seems very unfair but the norm for this arrangement sadly. Morais seemed like a 10 year old trying to get noticed he was that keen but gave the ball away far too often. Midtgarden also loooked strong and lively but was stuffed by playing 25 minutes with a tiring first team against the wind and then 20 minutes with kids. His only real chance was a pullback from Bennett who had drawn the keeper to the right edge of his box but his shot curled wide of the two covering defenders on the line. I doubt we will see either of them again based on today.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Last year our pre season performances & results were woeful.
This year the same. End of.
Dress it up if you like. Results mean nothing, getting players back to fitness, trying out new formations, triallists, players need to gel - however it is the same for the opposition isn't it?
All about creating momentum. With 3 weeks till the opening game I for one am beginning to get twitchy. Unless we bring in at least 3 players who could walk into the team, we will struggle once again.
Time & performances & results are running out.
One of the biggest loads of crap I have ever read.

Remember also, friendly or not the teams we've played will raise their game against professionals, still why bother with facts eh ?
Correct - Boro were flying in whilst we were at half commitment on most tackles. Having seen pre season capitulations against Oxford and Stevenage, this was nowhere near the same league of disappointment.

Another thing I forgot to say was that in the first half, we had two holding midfielders in the centre with Navarro and Kish. And when we changed to 4-4-2, Bennett went to the left and Kish was on the right. The team was crying out for Sparrow.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The positives were Kishishev who looked absolutely quality, and a great strike for our second goal, and it was great to see Calderon back in an Albion shirt and looking so comfortable as well.

I dont fancy either of the two trialists, Morais just didn't look good enough, not strong enough and no ideas. Midtgarden should probably get another try out because he was limited by the time he came on the pitch when we were clearly tired and then the kids came on. Still, he didn't offer a lot and I would be surprised if we saw either trialist again based on todays performance.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The positives were Kishishev who looked absolutely quality, and a great strike for our second goal, and it was great to see Calderon back in an Albion shirt and looking so comfortable as well.

I dont fancy either of the two trialists, Morais just didn't look good enough, not strong enough and no ideas. Midtgarden should probably get another try out because he was limited by the time he came on the pitch when we were clearly tired and then the kids came on. Still, he didn't offer a lot and I would be surprised if we saw either trialist again based on todays performance.

Doesn't sound great on either from what people are saying but I remember going to a friendly at Stevenage a few years ago where we lost 1-0 and had a triallist called Darren Currie who had a poor game. I assumed that this would be the last I saw of him in an Albion shirt and was surprised when he signed. The rest is history so it is often hard to tell from a one off game.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
One of the biggest loads of crap I have ever read.

Have you not read his regularly bounced thread about us not having signed any players then? While Steve Foster is entitled to his opinion, we all know that if we were stuffing these teams, he would be first on here saying how friendlies don't matter and wait until the season starts.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Interesting, I thought Calde looked a yard off it mentally and physically (unsurprising given his lack of game time)

Thought Morais was OK in the first 20, bright running, some good movement and ideas, cutting in from the left a bit. Then he seemed to try too hard, getting his head down. Dont think he'll be seen again.

Norwegian again OK, think hes been mugged off a bit with the limited opportunities hes had. Some wayward passing; thought he did more than Barnes though. Thought Barnes was especially poor.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Some thoughts on the game, after all I was there.

Decent enough first half with usual gale blowing straight down the ground in our favour. Borough conceded posession, we kept the ball well without doing much with it. Well worked first goal though, beautiful strike by Battipiedi.

In the second half Borough hoofed the ball with the wind into the channels, putting us on the back foot.Two sloppy goals and Borough seemed to want it more, but Kishishev pops up with a cracker. Gus brings on the kids, you can forget about the rest.

PLUSSES:

Battipiedi: great strike for the goal, excellent on the ball and not scared of a tackle. Good prospect

James Smith at left back: size of Coxy which is a concern but a lot of ability, pases the ball well and reads the game well.

Kishishev: Experienced and committed, good addition to squad.

MINUSSES:

Poke: not filled me with confidence on that showing

OVERALL:

Not worried but not much threat up front as yet. Decent workout, beaten by a full strenght team who eanted it more.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
another LOSS?!.....my god we're DOOMED!

still...afterall...it is only a friendly so it does'nt bother me in the SLIGHTEST!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
James Smith at left back: size of Coxy which is a concern but a lot of ability, pases the ball well and reads the game well.

Thought he got embarrassed a bit today, rash challenge in the first half, between a fair bit in the second, ok the wind wasnt helping him. Pretty good on the ball, if a little short on confidence, but cant see a huge future for him at left back im afraid.

Was massively disappointed with Barnes, although he didnt have great supply.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Missed their first goal so can't comment but the second was caused by Smith being exposed and a resulting pinball melee after a good save from the initial shot. And their third goal seemed to be a wind assisted freak although I was down the other end so didn't have the best perspective but essentially the youth team were caught cold having just come on.

First goal was a well delivered in swinging Free kick from their right which caught the wind, dropping inside the six yard box for their lad to tuck home. Maybe Poke could have come for it.

Third was a long throw which went all the way through to the back, young keeper comes out to claim it diving on the ball but pushes it into the shin of the right back 1 yard in front of him. horror own goal.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Thought he got embarrassed a bit today, rash challenge in the first half, between a fair bit in the second, ok the wind wasnt helping him. Pretty good on the ball, if a little short on confidence, but cant see a huge future for him at left back im afraid.

Was massively disappointed with Barnes, although he didnt have great supply.

He's such a good left midfielder though, which is where he has played for the youth team (up until about a year ago)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I though James Smith looked fairly decent, he let himself down in the second half when he let his man go right through him (which led to a goal), and when he misjudged a high ball and it went right over him.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Didnt know that, makes a lot of sense. Would have liked to have seen him up there once Morais once taken off.

Well it might be over a year (but not much) it's what position I've always classed him as.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
he misjudged a high ball and it went right over him.

He is not the only one to have misjudged the Priory Lane hurricane blowing straight down the ground. Every game I have ever seen there has been accompanied by this extraordinary meteorological phenomenon.:lolol:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He is not the only one to have misjudged the Priory Lane hurricane blowing straight down the ground. Every game I have ever seen there has been accompanied by this extraordinary meteorological phenomenon.:lolol:

Yeah, that's fair enough! I was waiting for the ball to go in behind the goalkeeper from a goal kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here