Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dyche on way out?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Hi all,

As a Claret based in Brighton thought I'd chip in.

Dyche has been on good terms generally with the board, the issue is whether they trust him with the money. He's made some very good signings and also some bad ones. Plus, well, managers generally have a shelf life at any club. One main criticism of him was that he was very loyal to players once in the team and wouldn't replace them when they weren't performing. But hey, all managers have their way of doing it.

The club has had a fair bit of criticism from the fans over not spending. We have upgraded our training ground and are now paying higher salaries than ever. I think the board err on the side of being a bit tight, but if we were relegated tomorrow we'd be back in the Championship with 15k at home (most likely). No Russian oligarch or anyone able to pump money in (unlike a certain plucky team beginning with B). I think it's more apparent than ever how disastrous it can be if you go down with players of decent salaries and long contracts.

In terms of his style, he does get bashed by most fans and some of his own. But looking at the squad most of the players bought aren't those hailing from the Premier League when bought. They are playing in the Premier now but were bought from clubs lower down, that doesn't mean we can't be a bit more creative but perhaps gives a reason why. On that point one thing I don't think he gets credit for is how he has brought players through. Pope, Heaton, Keane, Tarks - all bought at lower league level (perhaps Tarks at the time the most established) and all won caps. McNeill is looking as if he'll move on at some point but has been the youth product we have been craving for some time.

Attracting players has always been a problem, I think it is for most clubs and I know we've been stung a few times on transfer days. The issue is where you have clubs in the Championship offering wages as high as we do, reports were we missed out on a couple of players from teams relegated last season because they got better deals (I suppose that's for the club to understand more).

Sadly the recent idiot has made this worse in terms of recruiting.

As one poster pointed out, beware of Charlton who felt mid table wasn't good enough. It's nice to play attacking football and early on in the season an often made comparison was with Bournemouth. The irony here is what Brighton fans appreciate, i.e. the financial backing Bournemouth have (I think Eddie got Kenwyne Jones on a high salary on loan when they were promoted). One thing we learnt with Eddie is that you need to score 5 to guarantee a point, getting Dyche after him was a real culture shock!
To sum it up I will use the example of Adrian Durham. He spent many a time berating Stoke when they were in the Prem. A while back they were mentioned on his show and made a comment about them forgetting who they were, which sums up how people can view a club. You foster a reputation of being a not-too-attractive team but stay in the Prem, change to be more creative, get relegated and you were considered wrong to change who you were.

Whatever Dyche does he'll be admired by myself and many fans for what he did. I just hope the next manager is able to achieve what he has with the resources available. Though really, and I know Brighton fans know this as well as any club, we don't want to have the club bankrupted or put in financial peril by anyone because we lived outside our means.

I think Brighton will be safe and I hope so. Fingers crossed.

What I like about NSC is when you get really well informed posts like this from opposing fans.. it helps understand the thoughts of other fans and their views on their clubs.
For what it’s worth I think Dyche has been tapped up and he is now getting his defence lined up in terms of his reasoning for his departure.
Palace and Dyche are a match made in heaven.
Personally I like Burnley and am a friend of Colin Gore who is an ardent Clarets fan. We like having banter about our teams but always good natured.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
What I like about NSC is when you get really well informed posts like this from opposing fans.. it helps understand the thoughts of other fans and their views on their clubs.
For what it’s worth I think Dyche has been tapped up and he is now getting his defence lined up in terms of his reasoning for his departure.
Palace and Dyche are a match made in heaven.
Personally I like Burnley and am a friend of Colin Gore who is an ardent Clarets fan. We like having banter about our teams but always good natured.
thanks, I don't post on here much but there's credit to the NSC for having a forum where other fans can come and post. Sadly this isn't as common as it should be.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
thanks, I don't post on here much but there's credit to the NSC for having a forum where other fans can come and post. Sadly this isn't as common as it should be.

And sadly, it's not as common on NSC now that we're in the PL. There's another Burnley fan who posts on here, one from (plucky) Bournemouth and, of course, several Palace fans but we used to get more when we were in the lower leagues.

I enjoyed your post - very informative. I think that for all the teasing, most Albion fans are very appreciative of Dyche's record. I think he's an excellent manager and I'm sure will find success elsewhere.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Is Ashley Barnes still recovering from his hernia operation or has he picked up another injury? When is he due to be back playing do you know?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Your welcome but with each PL club getting £120m per season and Burnley nett spend in 4/5 years only £90m where does money go. Would think Brtightons nett spend in just 3 years is more like £160m

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Your welcome but with each PL club getting £120m per season and Burnley nett spend in 4/5 years only £90m where does money go. Would think Brtightons nett spend in just 3 years is more like £160m

It's a good question. I know there were loans and the training facilities were a huge upgrade and cost a fair amount. I think the rest has been put aside for increased salaries (e.g. the likes of Drinkwater this season as an addittion) and any other loans. And the rainy day piggy bank.

I seem to understand that football finances aren't lump sums and people tend to quote the full figure. Perhaps that is something to factor in? One for the accountants!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dyche is an interesting one. His ability to work on a budget and get the best out of a small squad is an extremely attractive quality in this Covid-19 Premier League world we are now in.

As mentioned earlier, he is also very loyal to his players and I could see working with a big squad at a big club might not suit him. However, he's got Burnley into Europe and finished 7th, so won't want to drop down the table and take too big a gamble - he's already managed Watford when his stock was a lot less. Newcastle and Everton might have been options, but not now with the Saudi takeover poised and Ancellotti at the helm.

He's too agricultural for Arsenal or Spurs, while West Ham are still getting over the destruction of The Academy of Football under Sam Allardyce.

I think the best fit would be Palace provided they offloaded Zaha and gave him the proceeds to build a more balanced squad. Hodgson is 73 this summer and it is really not practical for him to be managing with all this Covid-19 about, but I'm not sure he'd be given the budget he craves.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Is Ashley Barnes still recovering from his hernia operation or has he picked up another injury? When is he due to be back playing do you know?

unsure, the sort of injoke with Dyche is that the players need to get match fit and then Dyche fit. We have had players in the past who were ready to come back but Dyche wouldn't bring them in till he was certain. In fairness he knows a bit more about me about player fitness.

There's also a possibility that it plays to the "I have no fit players" theme which sits within his possible annoyance with the board.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

On the excellent 'Albion, football and me' podcast, Ash says that he was close to a return, and played in one practice match BEFORE the lockdown - so hopefully can't be far away now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know others have said it but I can really see him ending up at Palace. He would be a perfect fit for them. They have a good squad that will need some rebuilding if they get money for Zaha. He can then use some of this money to build his team, on the back of a probably top ten finish this season.

I fear he would do a good job for them.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Burnley FC Holdings had £42m in the bank at 30-06-2019 according to Companies House. Looks like most of that was from the sales of Andre Gray and Michael Keane.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Posts like that from other teams' fans always welcome :thumbsup:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I know others have said it but I can really see him ending up at Palace. He would be a perfect fit for them. They have a good squad that will need some rebuilding if they get money for Zaha. He can then use some of this money to build his team, on the back of a probably top ten finish this season.

I fear he would do a good job for them.

I would imagine that any money Palace received from the possible sale of Zaha would be used to pay off debts and possibly go towards ground improvements (even if the new stand doesn't happen).
I'm sure that is Palace fans greatest fear; - losing their biggest asset and having nothing to show for it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think the 'Burnley's a shithole' and 'rusty hovel of a stadium' type comments are interesting. Granted - Burnley is not really the place I'd like to live, but I've been to quite a few games there now - and always quite enjoyed them. The ground is near town, which is always a benefit. It's a proper old stadium, and I'd rather watch a match there than in some of the more sterile grounds that we all moan about. It's got some decent pubs, cheap beer, good chips, and pretty good countryside around it. And, last time I went - a good old-fashioned cheap barber shop as well.

I also know a few Burnlay fans - who are perfectly decent human beings.

It is what it is - an ex-industrial centre.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This scamander chap takes the number of Burnley fans I 'know' up to three, including the other person that posts on here, and they are all three bloody decent people. Hope they stick about the PL for a while.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
out of interest what would you think of Hughton as a possible candidate if Dyche left? Always seemed a class act in front of the camera and has experience in the Prem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here