Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dyche on way out?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Not true. McNeil wouldn't go to Crystal Palace. He's ambitious - would want a step up, not a sideways move - and would prefer the north west. Besides, if Dyche's relationship with Garlick is as bad as all that, Palace couldn't afford the fees.

Palace could easily afford the fees if they sell Zaha. Don't know what Dyche's relationship is like with the players but if a manager moves they often go back to the old club and cherry pick the best players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
2. If Burnley are a dirty side, then what does that say for Brighton? 17 sent off in 5 years? Not impressive. Burnley have had 3.

A selective use of stats there. If you go by yellow cards, it's a different story - Burnley had more than anyone else last season and are well ahead of Brighton this season too.

You're right that we had a poor record before this season but we've sharpened up our act considerably (I suspect our disciplinary record played a minor part in CH's dismissal). We've had two this season - and one of them saw the offender immediately shipped out of the club. The other was for two yellows - one of which was for dissent.

I don't see Burnley as an excessively dirty side but I think Brighton's fans' view of the team is coloured by Barton's stamp on Kayal. He didn't receive a red card for that (which is why it's not always a reliable stat) and it's something that's irked us ever since.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here in Palace territory they have been quietly confident that Dyche will leave Burnley in the summer join Palace and take with him Tarkowski and McNeil with the deal funded by the sale of Wilf and a couple of others who are big earners.
Don't shoot the messenger just reporting on local rumours.

Thanks that might be what SE20 was alluding to but he's so full of shite he couldn't even answer his own question.

It'll be interesting to see how palace manage to sign Tarks on a 'small' contract.
He'll still take them for £100k a week.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
A selective use of stats there. If you go by yellow cards, it's a different story - Burnley had more than anyone else last season and are well ahead of Brighton this season too.

You're right that we had a poor record before this season but we've sharpened up our act considerably (I suspect our disciplinary record played a minor part in CH's dismissal). We've had two this season - and one of them saw the offender immediately shipped out of the club. The other was for two yellows - one of which was for dissent.

I don't see Burnley as an excessively dirty side but I think Brighton's fans' view of the team is coloured by Barton's stamp on Kayal. He didn't receive a red card for that (which is why it's not always a reliable stat) and it's something that's irked us ever since.
Other teams' fans do think Burnley are a big, dirty side. We had that from Watford before yesterday. There are people on their message board who are convinced that Burnley are bigger and dirtier that they are - even though the 5-year sending off rate is 19-3 to them, and they were last night an average of almost 2 inches per man taller than Burnley.

Burnley aren't a big side - they just play big.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OK, to clear up a few points.

2. If Burnley are a dirty side, then what does that say for Brighton? 17 sent off in 5 years? Not impressive. Burnley have had 3.

Indeed. 'Number of reds' is a crap metric to cling to, and he knows it.

Just means Burnley are will drilled in the cynical side of the game. We've seen it from them plenty of times - take it in turns to hit the opposition's creative players - share the cards around, and keep 11 on the pitch.

Interestingly, the other team so institutionally cynical is Bournemouth, managed by Burnley's most recent manager. :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just means Burnley are will drilled in the cynical side of the game. We've seen it from them plenty of times - take it in turns to hit the opposition's creative players - share the cards around, and keep 11 on the pitch.

Interestingly, the other team so institutionally cynical is Bournemouth, managed by Burnley's most recent manager. :shrug:

Burnley yellow cards

2017/18 65 4th worst in division
2018/19 75 2nd worst
2019/20 60 5th worst

200 and counting in the last 3 seasons

Brighton same period 163

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Doubly annoying, I suppose, when the FA disciplinary committee looked at it after the event and they agreed with the ref that it wasn't deliberate.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Doubly annoying, I suppose, when the FA disciplinary committee looked at it after the event and they agreed with the ref that it wasn't deliberate.

Indeed. And that season you had the last laugh.

If Dyche does depart do you think Joey Barton would be considered and would you like him to take over.
If not, which realistic candidates would the fans like and who would they hate to come?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
He would be a huge loss for them. He's a good manager and seems like a decent guy. He would be a great appointment for anyone outside top 6.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I'm assuming the Ref went to the Dominic Cummings Test Centre?

[tweet]716248641384615936[/tweet]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Other teams' fans do think Burnley are a big, dirty side. We had that from Watford before yesterday. There are people on their message board who are convinced that Burnley are bigger and dirtier that they are - even though the 5-year sending off rate is 19-3 to them, and they were last night an average of almost 2 inches per man taller than Burnley.

Burnley aren't a big side - they just play big.

Although people may eventually notice that Tarkowski was beaten by Craig Dawson at almost corner. Yes, Craig Dawson.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Indeed. Our fans have a cyncial view of the FA disciplinary process - there was a lot of unhappiness about that.

The committee does tend to support the ref in pretty much every case (unless he's got something really, really wrong) so to say that the commitee failed to act doesn't really say much TBH

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That was a joke of a decision - you can see the force he slams his foot down knowing full well kayals leg is underneath - completely unnatural movement. Anyone who’s played the game knows that. But **** knows what the panel were thinking. But the main issue was he wasn’t sent off in the game as he should have and we’d have prob won. But that’s football.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Indeed. And that season you had the last laugh.

If Dyche does depart do you think Joey Barton would be considered and would you like him to take over.
If not, which realistic candidates would the fans like and who would they hate to come?

A lot wouldn't trust Barton - he was a model pro under Dyche but he's already had a police investigation at Fleetwood and he's very much a loose cannon. Michael Duff gets the sentimental vote for being ex-Burnley and doing well at Cheltenham. Definitely not Mark Hughes - as much for being a duff manager as for being ex-Blackburn. Chirs Hughton has been mentioned, assuming he isn't frightened off by all the silly prejudices - very few of us care what colour skin he has. But ultimately, I think Dyche will stay because (even if he is frustrated by the small squad) he wouldn't get a better gig anywhere else.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Although people may eventually notice that Tarkowski was beaten by Craig Dawson at almost corner. Yes, Craig Dawson.

Possibly a contributory factor being that Tarkowski was marking someone else and went to Dawson at the last second. Nobody's perfect, and something was awry with the marking.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Burnley yellow cards

2017/18 65 4th worst in division
2018/19 75 2nd worst
2019/20 60 5th worst

200 and counting in the last 3 seasons

Brighton same period 163

Indeed.

Burnley players are very very well drilled. Part of that is about pushing the rules and gamesmanship to the absolute limit without getting a red.

Burnley are masters of anti-football. I remember a Premier League match where they were booting the ball out of play at every opportunity whilst Dyche applauded, clear in the knowledge that their defending from throw ins is exceptional and they were breaking our rhythm. Awful and frustrating to watch.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That was a joke of a decision - you can see the force he slams his foot down knowing full well kayals leg is underneath - completely unnatural movement. Anyone who’s played the game knows that. But **** knows what the panel were thinking. But the main issue was he wasn’t sent off in the game as he should have and we’d have prob won. But that’s football.
These things happen. There's no doubt at all that he was in the air jumping over Kayal and he landed, but that's possibly down to gravity rather than malice. It was widely believed that he chose his landing spot based on where Kayal was going to roll to and that he deliberately leaped high to make sure gravity did a good job.

Who cares. We'd probably still have equalised in the last minute as often as we needed to. That's football.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm assuming the Ref went to the Dominic Cummings Test Centre?

[tweet]716248641384615936[/tweet]

You could argue that Kayal lifts his leg to obstruct and Barton is already airborne, although the stamp does look pre meditated :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here