Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
You have obviously missed either by choice or mistake the number of times that he has misplaced a pass back to Ankergren that has played him into trouble and forced him to hack it away or hurry his clearance. The good thing is that time is on Dunks side so he will improve but at the moment I wouldn't say he is a dead cert to keep El Abd out based on Gus's view and rating of El Abd
So his distribution isn't as good as El-Abd's by virtue of a couple of slightly misplaced back-passes? Ok.

It's clear that Gus rates El-Abd, but you must remember his appraisal of Adam being 'the best defender at the club' was both before Greer's arrival and Dunk's emergence from the youth team. At the time our only other CBs were Elphick, Virgo & Tunnicliffe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So his distribution isn't as good as El-Abd's by virtue of a couple of slightly misplaced back-passes? Ok.

It's clear that Gus rates El-Abd, but you must remember his appraisal of Adam being 'the best defender at the club' was both before Greer's arrival and Dunk's emergence from the youth team. At the time our only other CBs were Elphick, Virgo & Tunnicliffe.

You may be right about the timing of Gus's statement but I thought that it was when he gave Adam a renewed contract last November that being the reason that he offered the new contract. If that is correct Greer was here and was our captain.

Only time will tell and obviously everybody has their own opinions. Incidentally I believe that Dunk is a tremendous prospect but also I feel that continually playing will also tell on him and his occassional lapse of concentration, which you would expect with his inexperience, will give Adam the chance to get back into the side. Whether he grasps that opportunity or not nobody can foretell but the ultimate loser I think will be Elphick.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Aside from the level of performance something that impressed me hugely was the way Dunk played against Sunderland after Greer went off at half time. Last season Dunk was superb at Southampton, with GG visibly talking and helping him through it, as he seemed to be doing in the early part of the season too. When he played without Greer last seaosn he didn't look quite so composed - but against Sunderland he took it stride and maintained his performance. Not only that but with the other distruptions to the back four in that game he seemed to become the leader of the back four. So it looks like he's matured hugely in a relatively short time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm more than happy with Greer (and Dunk or El-Abd). Never forget the top ratings and performances El-Abd had almost every game, including against seasoned pros and attempted bullies like Lee Hughes.

Dunk yesterday also covered left defence failings where Painter repeatedly caught many times for lack of pace or poor position. Dunk must be getting between 8 and 10 out of 10 every game now?

Is it just me, but if Gus bought a class & pacey left back (I know only a striker is sought), I feel that would close our only achilles heel.
Painter's good, but Watford & P'boro I think exposed his slowness.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

In fact looking at Gus's comments recently reference Dunks non-England call up,along the lines of if you want a defender then pick somebody else,only strengthens the theory that Gus rates Dunk above El-abd at this stage.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Think Dunky is way beyond his years...as Gus says...if you hold the shirt you keep it (ok take it home) until you have an injury or a disastrous game...quite happy if El bd came on but Dunky is in the hot seat at the moment!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
You have obviously missed either by choice or mistake the number of times that he has misplaced a pass back to Ankergren that has played him into trouble and forced him to hack it away or hurry his clearance. The good thing is that time is on Dunks side so he will improve but at the moment I wouldn't say he is a dead cert to keep El Abd out based on Gus's view and rating of El Abd

I sort of know what you mean. There have been one or two times when, facing his own goal, Dunk has looked uncertain about which option to choose. But - facing forward, his distribution is superb - playing 30-40 yard passes to a team-mate which, much as I love El-Abd, isn't really his thing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I sort of know what you mean. There have been one or two times when, facing his own goal, Dunk has looked uncertain about which option to choose. But - facing forward, his distribution is superb - playing 30-40 yard passes to a team-mate which, much as I love El-Abd, isn't really his thing.

This is an experience issue, not distribution.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
More than 1 or 2 but I am glad somebody else has noticed but as you say his long clearances are good but it is the short passes back to Casper that worry me, but he will learn and will get better.

The way some people are speaking you would think that he is the finished article and should be in the full England squad yet alone the suggestions about the U21s.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More than 1 or 2 but I am glad somebody else has noticed but as you say his long clearances are good but it is the short passes back to Casper that worry me, but he will learn and will get better.

The coaches can really work on that, to add to the long list of ticks to his game.
Just hope he keeps his feet on the ground, keeps working, & stays with his home club for a few years.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dunk is absolute quality, a bit of Mark Lawrenson in him dare I say? But Bridcutt was my personal MoM. Totally unsung hero.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I posted after the PSG game in Portugal, that Dunk was superb and thought he would have a great year. Class all season, he can tackle, head, good reading the game and his distribution is very good. Think as someone said, Elphick will be the loser. Agree with Gus, we dont need any more center halfs. Must have got all his skills from his mum, as his Dad just used to kick lumps out of me.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here