Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dowie/Johnson

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Perry Milkins said:
Neither has David James...

Hmmm, talk to Man City fans and they seem to keep saying he is one of their key players.

More importantly, after Robinson, England are not blessed with keepers that stay fit. Martyn has said he will not be available for England unless he has the number one shirt. Between Kirkland, Green and I guess Carson, they have a total of 2 caps. So James gets picked as back up as he has experience of international football and can stay fit.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Palace aint going anywhere this season and AJ will be of to a club like WBA if they stay up for about 3 to 4 million.

You can quote me on this any time you like palace vermin.:salute:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Re: Re: Re: Dowie/Johnson

Perry Milkins said:
Keep laughing SE25..the joke was echoing around your ears last October though. The joke is your outfit are not good enough for the premiership.

One swallow doesnt make a summer though Pezza does it? Its ok getting up for the big derby games but its the games against the likes of Crewe, Millwall, Derby etc that will decide your fate and that is where your team has been found wanting

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Buck said:
Hmmm, talk to Man City fans and they seem to keep saying he is one of their key players.

More importantly, after Robinson, England are not blessed with keepers that stay fit. Martyn has said he will not be available for England unless he has the number one shirt. Between Kirkland, Green and I guess Carson, they have a total of 2 caps. So James gets picked as back up as he has experience of international football and can stay fit.

I like Martyn. I say give him the number 1 shirt [then leave him on the bench!]

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Johnson is not good enough for England, he is one dimensional and reliant on pace. Works in the Premiership, wouldn't work in either of the other major European leagues and certainly wouldn't work at international level.

Nothing to do with who he plays for. :wave:

(although the fact he is playing in the Championship is enough, there are plenty of better English strikers scoirng goals in the Premiership)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If Nigel Martyn is going to say sometihng along the lines of 'give me the shirt or I'm not coming' then he can f*** off, to be quite honest.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Johnson is not good enough for England, he is one dimensional and reliant on pace. Works in the Premiership, wouldn't work in either of the other major European leagues and certainly wouldn't work at international level.

Nothing to do with who he plays for. :wave:

(although the fact he is playing in the Championship is enough, there are plenty of better English strikers scoirng goals in the Premiership)

But he is GOALSCORER, 82 in 150 games that is a goal in every 1.5 matches!! 2nd top scorer last season in the Premiership behind Henry which is nothing to be ashamed of in his inaugral season playing at that level. I dont give a toss what you think of Palace but give the bloke some credit. :thud:

PS And Henry isnt reliant on pace then? :lol:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think maybe we're all missing the point.

England have gone out of 4 of the last 6 major tournaments they've played on penalties.

AJ is certainly world class from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat.

The rest of his game 2nd tier at best.

Maybe Sven will take him and bring him on with about 2 secs to go before a shootout.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
jonny.rainbow said:

England have gone out of 4 of the last 6 major tournaments they've played on penalties.

Maybe Sven will take him and bring him on with about 2 secs to go before a shootout.

Good grief :shootself

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
jonny.rainbow said:

So what part of his game is "2nd tier" then Jonny old chap?! :lolol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
AJ's Love Monkey said:
But he is GOALSCORER, 82 in 150 games that is a goal in every 1.5 matches!! 2nd top scorer last season in the Premiership behind Henry which is nothing to be ashamed of in his inaugral season playing at that level. I dont give a toss what you think of Palace but give the bloke some credit. :thud:

PS And Henry isnt reliant on pace then? :lol:
He is a good Premiership player, not international standard.

Henry isn't reliant on pace, no. ??? It is just one of the tools at his disposal. Comparing Andy Johnson to Thierry Henry is ridiculous on so many levels.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
AJ's Love Monkey said:
So what part of his game is "2nd tier" then Jonny old chap?! :lolol:

Maybe I was a bit harsh.

Last season he certainly made the step up.

Mainly the step up to the penalty spot.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Silent Bob said:
He is a good Premiership player, not international standard.

Henry isn't reliant on pace, no. ??? It is just one of the tools at his disposal. Comparing Andy Johnson to Thierry Henry is ridiculous on so many levels.

I wasnt comparing Johnson to Henry i was just stating a fact about his scoring record. I think we should agree to disagree on this i really cant be arsed any more!

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
jonny.rainbow said:
Maybe I was a bit harsh.

Last season he certainly made the step up.

Mainly the step up to the penalty spot.

And the ten other league goals in a team that were predicted to finish bottom with a record low points total?

Like it or not we know a thing or two about strikers at Selhurst Park - we could have been having this same conversation fifteen years ago about Ian Wright and you would all have said 'he's only a decent 2nd tier striker'.

No one is saying AJ should be even third choice for England but he ought to have been given more of a go than he has. He actually did OK against the Yanks and had a hand in both goals.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
5 past Kuipers said:
And the ten other league goals in a team that were predicted to finish bottom with a record low points total?

Like it or not we know a thing or two about strikers at Selhurst Park - we could have been having this same conversation fifteen years ago about Ian Wright and you would all have said 'he's only a decent 2nd tier striker'.

No one is saying AJ should be even third choice for England but he ought to have been given more of a go than he has. He actually did OK against the Yanks and had a hand in both goals.

Its a waste of time fella, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
5 past Kuipers said:

He deserved his chance last year, his record was good enough.

However this season a combination of a lengthyish injury and not being in the Premiership has created a situation of out of sight out of mind and so he has dropped way down the pecking order.

It looks like Owen, Rooney, Crouch, then for some reason Defoe and Bent will go. Whether Bent is better than Johnson I am not sure, but Bent is scoring in the top flight so is going to get touted.

Personally I would still take Vassell, although he is not the greatest player, in the past he has had a habit of scoring the odd goal for England, where as between Crouch, Defoe and Bent they can muster 2 goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here