Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Double standards over Koran Burning.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Muslims dont dictate to people in the UK either Bushy...
Some radicals jump up and down making noises, but how many times has the British Muslim Council dictated politics in the UK?
They havnt. Youre listening to the noisy minority, and not the quiet majority.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
No i havent, and you know i havent, you're attempting to defend the indefensible (the poppy burning), i honestly cannot fathom why.

again by the same arguement, is it indefensible to burn of the Qur' an? or is that acceptable to you? my mummy taught me two wrongs don't make a right... if you read my original post - i am not defending burning the poppy - i think that is wrong and offensive. my point is - they are both wrong, and therefore if you are calling for a charge to be brought against one - surely the same charge should be raised against the other? correct?

and before you argue the girl has been charged and the muslims haven't - i'm talking about breaching the peace... not inciting religious/racial hatred. - i covered that in my previous post (war vets aren't a religion)

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
that's not the point. the point is, the girl has been charged and the muslims haven't. I think both are wrong and should be punished (see my first post). However under current law - the muslims haven't been charged as they technically haven't broken a law - the girl has (inciting religious hatred). If you are to say they should be charged with breaching the peace (i don't disagree with this) then so should the girl.. they have both performed actions which are highly offensive. therefore by that logic - the girl should be charged with two offences, and the muslims one. This would however be labelled as double standards by certain people.

I am not talking about peoples sensitivites or opinions - but BRITISH law. If you are to argue these muslims disrespect the country - then its rather hypocritical of you to disregard the law of the land..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The bit in the swimming link about a Muslim being barred from a French pool is interesting. I go to France a lot and certainly every pool I've ever been to doesn't allow swimming shorts - only speedo type trunks so hopefully she won't win her court case because at least the French are applying the rules fairly even if they are strange rules.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
of course you would be spouting the same rubbish if the situation were reversed would you ? no, you wouldnt.

what are you on about?! reverse what situation? If the muslims broke multiple laws i would expect them to be punished for those. I am not saying which is a worse offence - simply that they technically have broken less laws, therefore the punishment should not be equal. I am not saying thats right or that i agree with it, but thats British law. I didnt write the rules.
I do like how you skip all my points which clearly state i am not supporting the burning of poppies or which is the worst crime. you would rather follow your agenda that Muslims are scum.

I said and i quote

I think both are wrong and should be punished

if the law was somehow different - and offending the public was illegal, but burning of religious texts was not - i would say the same thing. Its not whether I agree with it or not. its the law. I don't personally agree with having to pay a licence fee for my tv - but its the law, and so I do.

can you say whether you agree or not with this point I made without spouting some shite about me talking rubbish:

If you are to say they should be charged with breaching the peace (i don't disagree with this) then so should the girl.. they have both performed actions which are highly offensive. therefore by that logic - the girl should be charged with two offences (inciting religious hatred and breaching the peace), and the muslims one (breaching the peace).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I do like how you skip all my points which clearly state i am not supporting the burning of poppies or which is the worst crime. you would rather follow your agenda that Muslims are scum.

[/B]
where have i said this ?? nowhere, ive already stated that i find sully and commom as mook to be ok, but you'd rather follow the agenda that anybody with anything negative to say on the matter automatically is some muslim hating race warrior.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that's not the point. the point is, the girl has been charged and the muslims haven't. I think both are wrong and should be punished (see my first post). However under current law - the muslims haven't been charged as they technically haven't broken a law - the girl has (inciting religious hatred). If you are to say they should be charged with breaching the peace (i don't disagree with this) then so should the girl.. they have both performed actions which are highly offensive. therefore by that logic - the girl should be charged with two offences, and the muslims one. This would however be labelled as double standards by certain people.

I am not talking about peoples sensitivites or opinions - but BRITISH law. If you are to argue these muslims disrespect the country - then its rather hypocritical of you to disregard the law of the land..

British law for British people!

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
where have i said this ?? nowhere, ive already stated that i find sully and commom as mook to be ok, but you'd rather follow the agenda that anybody with anything negative to say on the matter automatically is some muslim hating race warrior.

no, but your refusal to respond to my point (highlighted for a third time below) suggests you refuse to accept reason on the matter. My i ask, for someone who accuses others of spouting the same rubbish if situations were reversed... would YOU have started the same thread, with the same disgust, if the Muslims had been charged with burning the poppy yet the girl got off scot free?

If you are to say they should be charged with breaching the peace (i don't disagree with this) then so should the girl.. they have both performed actions which are highly offensive. therefore by that logic - the girl should be charged with two offences (inciting religious hatred and breaching the peace), and the muslims one (breaching the peace).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My i ask, for someone who accuses others of spouting the same rubbish if situations were reversed... would YOU have started the same thread, with the same disgust, if the Muslims had been charged with burning the poppy yet the girl got off scot free?
In all honesty, no I wouldnt have, but then i dont feel that muslims in this country receive anywhere near the provocation they dish out, having said that ,i've got no sympathy for westerners who go to muslim countries, break their laws and then whine about the punishment i.e people getting flogged for drinking in saudi, or shagging on the beach in dubai.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not at all, there are plenty of cases where the CPS decide that one charge will suffice.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
In all honesty, no I wouldnt have, but then i dont feel that muslims in this country receive anywhere near the provocation they dish out, having said that ,i've got no sympathy for westerners who go to muslim countries, break their laws and then whine about the punishment i.e people getting flogged for drinking in saudi, or shagging on the beach in dubai.

thankyou for admitting that. I agree with you for once RE. westerners in the Arab world.

I would like to make it clear to you - I am not on some agenda, i really couldn't give a toss either way. There are extremists from every walk of life and each of them is as despicable as the next.

my point all along was simply that due to the current laws of this country - the Muslims cannot be charged in a similar manner as the girl as there is no law against burning a poppy as there is for burning a religious text. Until the law is changed this will always be the case.

There are many sides to all arguments, both sides have valid opinions and biased opinions. Sometimes it helps to step back and view the bigger picture.

I don't want a debate with you on the rights and wrongs of this world. Simply to highlight, that in this case, the issue is British law. The same law that would crack down on a bible burning muslim but let off someone burning a pakistani flag. swings and roundabouts.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
thankyou for admitting that. I agree with you for once RE. westerners in the Arab world.

I would like to make it clear to you - I am not on some agenda, i really couldn't give a toss either way. There are extremists from every walk of life and each of them is as despicable as the next.

my point all along was simply that due to the current laws of this country - the Muslims cannot be charged in a similar manner as the girl as there is no law against burning a poppy as there is for burning a religious text. Until the law is changed this will always be the case.

There are many sides to all arguments, both sides have valid opinions and biased opinions. Sometimes it helps to step back and view the bigger picture.

I don't want a debate with you on the rights and wrongs of this world. Simply to highlight, that in this case, the issue is British law. The same law that would crack down on a bible burning muslim but let off someone burning a pakistani flag. swings and roundabouts.
ok , at least weve stopped the name calling !, the point i'm trying to make though, is that i doubt very much that someone burning a pakistani flag or doing something that while not specifically illegal but offensive to muslims would be let off , in the manner that the poppy burners were, they would be charged with breach of the peace, the way the poppy burners should been.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
ok , at least weve stopped the name calling !, the point i'm trying to make though, is that i doubt very much that someone burning a pakistani flag or doing something that while not specifically illegal but offensive to muslims would be let off , in the manner that the poppy burners were, they would be charged with breach of the peace, the way the poppy burners should been.

maybe we should wait and see if and when the situation arises instead of jumping to conclusions?

if this scenario occurs - I will join you in being upset that the law has discriminated, but until then, maybe look at it as a glass half full - assume the same ruling would apply?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you HONESTLY think i'm going to bite ?

I'm not after a bite. If I really wanted to rile you I could. It was playing on the fact the muslim did not get nicked but the Brit did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here