Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donny fan here

pktdrfc

Apr 13, 2011
Well thank you all for your recommendations for places to stay at the moment me being a tight T**T Yorkshireman i am turning in to Arkwright "HOW MUCH" i am sure i will find 2 rooms in the region of £20 a night (only Joking)

River Don

Jun 17, 2011
Originally Posted by River Don
brewery bar

Right next to the new stadium, they open the brewery bar on match days. They even do an ale named Zigga-Zagga in honour of the mighty Rovers.
Any good?

If any, which would most likely be served at the new stadium?

Not bad at all, as you can imagine pre-match it's very popular with home and away fans alike.

The stadium catering is pretty much standard football fare and quite expensive. They do bog standard John Smiths and a fizzy larger, Carling I think.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not bad at all, as you can imagine pre-match it's very popular with home and away fans alike.

The stadium catering is pretty much standard football fare and quite expensive. They do bog standard John Smiths and a fizzy larger, Carling I think.

I meant OUR new stadium. :)

Which of the Tadpole beers would most likely be served at Falmer? (Assuming it's a Tadpole beer on offer).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

You have to bear in mind that we haven't had ANY alcohol in "our" stadium for 15 years.

This... Bonus of being just 1 stop away from The Amex on the train also!

But.... not if you want a late drink, some pubs do stay open till midnight though!

If you decide to stay in Lewes, pm me and i'll recommend the best pubs worth visiting. There isn't much choice for accommodation so book early. Either The White Hart Hotel (very central) or 5 mins walk to Shelley's Hotel or search out some B n B's that are local!
The Crown inn, The Kings Head and The Black Horse pubs all do B n B too.

Plenty of excellent pubs so just 2 mins walk from most pubs to the next 1 and plenty of restaurants to choose from!
Avoid The Crown at all costs.

This is what Channel 4's 'The Hotel Inspector' found:-

No-nonsense hotelier Alex Polizzi comes face to face with one of the worst establishments she has ever visited - the Crown Inn in Lewes. After a string of terrible internet reviews and the loss of a precious star in the Visit England ratings, can Alex restore this filthy guesthouse to its former glory?

Two years ago, former care assistant Karen Lloyd sunk her life savings into the eight-bedroom Crown Inn in Lewes. With a great location, the guesthouse should have no trouble attracting customers - but after a number of appalling internet reviews, Karen has lost over £32,000. "I had visions of having this wonderful place people were happy to come to - but it hasn't worked out that way," she sighs. After a disastrous year, the hotel was stripped of one of its three stars by the tourist board.

With an illustrious career at establishments such as the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong and Marco Pierre White's Criterion restaurant, hotelier Alex Polizzi hopes she can breathe new life into the rundown inn. Her first impressions do not bode well, however. "There's peeling paint, a broken window and very smeared, dirty glass," she says of the front of the hotel. And things get even worse inside. "The first thing I notice is a tray of filthy condiment bottles. If I wasn't here for business I'd turn around and walk back out again," Alex asserts.

In order to ascertain the extent of the inn's problems, Alex prepares to spend the night. Karen leads Alex to the jewel in the inn's crown, room five. "I'd like to turn it into our bridal suite," Karen suggests. Alex, however, is not so sure. "I can think of few more depressing things than spending my bridal night here," she winces, observing the ramshackle bed and dirty bathroom. "Has it even been cleaned since the last person stayed here?" Alex's horror reaches epic proportions when she studies the rest of the hotel the following morning.

"Why would anyone leave a loo like that? It's just an insult," she says of the filthy toilets. And the cluttered hallways and laundry room do not impress either. "This is madness. How can Karen leave a corridor like this? This is the sign of a disordered mind," she moans. Alex pulls no punches when she confronts Karen about the state of the hotel. "This is your hotel, your name, your place!" she tells her.

Alex gathers the staff together for a meeting and outlines her plans. "I'd treat this like a pub with rooms," she says, suggesting that increasing the popularity of the bar could pay for some renovations to the bedrooms. First, Alex sends a team of deep cleaners in to tackle the hotel and then sets about revamping the bar. The bedrooms are refurbished with fluffy white towels, matching soft furnishings and new hospitality stands. Karen organises a staff reshuffle, taking on the cleaning herself and reassigning long-serving cleaner Sally to work in the kitchens. Alex also schedules another inspection with the tourist board in four weeks' time...

However, it is not just the hotel that needs some work - it is Karen herself. Alex sends the discouraged manager off to the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne for some much-needed hospitality training. Her scruffy hoodies are soon replaced by a smart suit, and staff at the Grand instruct her in the skills of proper customer service and presentation. "I'm hoping by meeting the guests' expectations people will start writing more positive things," she says.

When Alex returns several weeks later, she is impressed with Karen's hard work. "This looks so much better!" she exclaims. In order to improve the reputation of the hotel, Alex has invited some of the internet reviewers back in order to generate some positive feedback. One reviewer gives a suspenseful Karen his verdict, "I'll tell you now I'll never stay another night in this hotel - it'll be two nights!" he says. But with a mystery guest on the way to assess the hotel, has Karen done enough to retrieve that all-important star?

Even now it's still getting lousy reviews:-
Crown Inn Hotel Reviews and Photos, Lewes, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor

And ... stay at Shelley's, but only if you're happy to give money to the Hoogstraten empire.

Hoogstraten family buys Lewes hotel From The Argus)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Lord B, that's all been sorted now

But i haven't stayed there myself

Happy to stand corrected if i'm wrong, but's that's what i've heard!

OOPS, apparently you are correct... Mrs Muzzy informs me that they've lost the plot again!

Good call

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
:whistle:And ... stay at Shelley's, but only if you're happy to give money to the Hoogstraten empire.

I have it very good authority that Hoogstraten is a very miss-understood fella..:blush:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perfect fixture. It should be quite an emotional day.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
:whistle:And ... stay at Shelley's, but only if you're happy to give money to the Hoogstraten empire.

I have it very good authority that Hoogstraten is a very miss-understood fella..:blush:

I had to give some money to him once. I dont know what is was for but his boys said I owed it and that was good enough for me. Lovely fellow and whats more he knew how to treat a female impersonator.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

Is that misunderstood as in Archers motives as our chairman were misunderstood, or our claims that LDC wanted us to go bust were misunderstood :)

Just a thought, (and being serious for a minute) are there any B&Bs in Falmer? Or what about the Downs Hotel as there are buses coming up over that way

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Just booked a flight to return Friday 5th from holiday in Spain and go back 8th, to continue with Family holiday! Couldnt miss the completion of the full circle. Very Happy with this!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just booked a flight to return Friday 5th from holiday in Spain and go back 8th, to continue with Family holiday! Couldnt miss the completion of the full circle. Very Happy with this!

Better pray its not the Monday night TV game then...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
This is so poetic. I love it.

If you can't get a hotel at a good price in Brighton why not try Lewes or Newhaven, one and two stops away from the Falmer station, respectively. Newhaven's not very exciting but I'd bet you could find somewhere pretty cheap to stay there, and it's very easy to get to the stadium, and to Brighton if you wanted a few nice drinks after the match too.

Absolutely delighted with this fixture and I cannot wait. It will be really great to have a good, honest team down who we respect for our new stadium's first competitive game.

Bring your singing voice because I fully expect us to be making the sort of racket not heard from Albion fans for over a decade.

Really looking forward to welcome Donny at The Amex.

I was in the North Stand for that last game at The Goldstone.
My match ticket, football programme were mounted & in a frame in my spare room.
Don't worry I said to my wife, we will have a new ground in no time at all & vowed not to take the frame down until after we played our first game in a new stadium. 14 years later.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here