Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My dog absolutely worships the ground I walk on and hates it when I leave him to go to work, (he stays at home with Mrs Muzzy). If I'm off work then he goes just about everywhere with me. He even likes to warm my bed up for me:).

54ecd76b.jpg

He's only 16 months and I hope he continues to lead a long and happy life.
A totally brilliant and fantastic buddy to me.

Having a dog in your bed is wierd if you ask me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My dog absolutely worships the ground I walk on and hates it when I leave him to go to work, (he stays at home with Mrs Muzzy). If I'm off work then he goes just about everywhere with me. He even likes to warm my bed up for me:).

54ecd76b.jpg

He's only 16 months and I hope he continues to lead a long and happy life.
A totally brilliant and fantastic buddy to me.

I have just shown this photo to Frau Tubthumper and she said "yuk, can you imagine what that smells like."

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Bag of treats should do the trick, every time he responds to the down command give him a small treat from your pocket. After a while he'll get used to it.

He won't respond to treats now... cats are far more interesting!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Having a dog in your bed is wierd if you ask me.

He doesn't sleep in my bed.. It was a one off moment that I caught him out lol... He is far too big to sleep on/in anybody's bed. Thanks for the concern though lol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mine aren't allowed upstairs or on the furniture.

They never eat my food, and always eat after me, they aren't allowed through doors first.

It's a pack thing and I'm the boss.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My Dog loves his life with me. He has been treated really well with loads of love and I think that makes a big difference. Here's to another couple of happy years together.

That's a worthy hope, but don't bet on it or things could be jinxed.
I thought my old gal lab mix (14) was going to go til her legs gave up, but her spleen broke and the vet gave me one option before she was in agony.
She said that my pup had cysts inside which caused the issue, that even if they operated she wouldn't live much longr, and poignantly that actually most
dogs go like this kind of way.
It was a few weeks ago and was quite a shock - morning fine, evening in a box ready for burial :down:

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's a worthy hope, but don't bet on it or things could be jinxed.
I thought my old gal lab mix (14) was going to go til her legs gave up, but her spleen broke and the vet gave me one option before she was in agony.
She said that my pup had cysts inside which caused the issue, that even if they operated she wouldn't live much longr, and poignantly that actually most
dogs go like this kind of way.
It was a few weeks ago and was quite a shock - morning fine, evening in a box ready for burial :down:

Sorry to hear that.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Happy Birthday Harry ! 14 today ( 98 in Dog years ). :rock::banana::rave::cheery:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My last English Setter made it to 14.

I awoke in middle of night and went downstairs to find he had had a stroke and his back legs wouldn't function.

He was distressed because he had wet himself, so cleaned him up and just sat on the floor with him for a few hours.

Carried him to car and to the vet, sat in waiting room in silence feeling like the biggest shit on the planet.

I knew what was coming, vet said did I want to leave the room but wanted to be with him for the final moments, it was the least I could do.

I then had to go home, just with the collar and lead in my hand, and walk up the drive to the kids who wanted to know where he was ......

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Brother had a Rottweiler that lived for 9 years. Was a beautiful and playful dog. Was heart beaking for the family when he was put-down due to cancer. They get a bad rep due to the moronic few that bring them up wrong, but in the right hands they're very lovable dogs.

Seeing what my brother went through, I don't think I could ever get a dog. Even now a few months later it's still a raw subject.

My last English Setter made it to 14.

I awoke in middle of night and went downstairs to find he had had a stroke and his back legs wouldn't function.

He was distressed because he had wet himself, so cleaned him up and just sat on the floor with him for a few hours.

Carried him to car and to the vet, sat in waiting room in silence feeling like the biggest shit on the planet.

I knew what was coming, vet said did I want to leave the room but wanted to be with him for the final moments, it was the least I could do.

I then had to go home, just with the collar and lead in my hand, and walk up the drive to the kids who wanted to know where he was ......

We had ours put to sleep at home, it cost more but she hated the vets and would go into an uncontrollable shaking and whining episode every time we even got near the vet.

She died on our sofa, with her head in my wife's lap and me kneeling in front of her looking into her eyes.

I have just started crying.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Getting them put down at home is a far better option.

My old greyhound lay down in the sun one day and after a few hours he just couldn't get up. Normally he was a very alert dog even into his last few months. This day though when I went to help him up he gave me a look that i'll never forget. It was a look of "I've had enough mate".

Even when the vet came if a dog could look at peace with the world that's the look he had in his eyes. If I'd have to have picked his big frame up and dragged him in and out of a car he'd have become distressed as would his owner.

I was distraught for days after but at least I knew he'd had a good life and he left the world doing what he liked doing most, sitting on the grass in the sun.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
We had ours put to sleep at home, it cost more but she hated the vets and would go into an uncontrollable shaking and whining episode every time we even got near the vet.

She died on our sofa, with her head in my wife's lap and me kneeling in front of her looking into her eyes.

I have just started crying.

I know exactly how you felt, When I had to have my 14½ year old lab/alsatian put to sleep (cancer, had her from 7 weeks old) as she drew her last breath it felt as if some one had thrust their hand through my rib cage & were crushing my heart, I could hardly breath, I have never felt such pain. Even now 12 years later I still miss her, even though we had another dog, she was so special.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Brother had a Rottweiler that lived for 9 years. Was a beautiful and playful dog. Was heart beaking for the family when he was put-down due to cancer. They get a bad rep due to the moronic few that bring them up wrong, but in the right hands they're very lovable dogs.

Seeing what my brother went through, I don't think I could ever get a dog. Even now a few months later it's still a raw subject.

Lost my Rottweiler to bone cancer last month...he was 10.Taking him to the vets for the last time and sitting with him while they did it was probably the hardest thing ive ever had to do.
Really annoys me the bad press Rotties get, and also the reaction from other dog walkers in parks and fields insisting he should be on a lead before he rips their little dog to shreds!!! He was the most placid good natured dog anyone could have wished for......its bad owners, not bad dogs!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Our last cat had cancer and one morning she was really bad, her eyes were all watery and she could hardly move...we took her down the vet and she gave her a mild sedative to calm her down and I watched her slip away......I cried my eyes out for hours...she was a really lovely cat.

One thing with cats, when the pass away, they don't close their eyes.

I was in bits for ages

Our last cat had cancer and one morning she was really bad, her eyes were all watery and she could hardly move...we took her down the vet and she gave her a mild sedative to calm her down and I watched her slip away......I cried my eyes out for hours...she was a really lovely cat.

One thing with cats, when the pass away, they don't close their eyes.

I was in bits for ages

Dogs don't either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here