Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't they find homes or is it not possible after a life of work?

QUOTE]

It is getting rarer and rarer for them to be re-homed. The way they look at things these days is that should the dog bite someone after it has been rehomed then it will come back on them and cause problems/bad publicity. You have to remember that the dogs are trained to chase and 'hold' people who shout and run away basically. So you can't take them down the local park (lots of people shout and run innocently). There are many other reasons why it is just not a sensible thning to do for most dogs.

I understand. I used to handle guard dogs, many moons ago and I can't imagine them being too good around lots of people.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Our black lab passed away on Monday, he was 12. Couldn't have wished for a better dog.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

QUOTE]

It is getting rarer and rarer for them to be re-homed. The way they look at things these days is that should the dog bite someone after it has been rehomed then it will come back on them and cause problems/bad publicity. You have to remember that the dogs are trained to chase and 'hold' people who shout and run away basically. So you can't take them down the local park (lots of people shout and run innocently). There are many other reasons why it is just not a sensible thning to do for most dogs.

Seems very harsh but completely understandable...It's a shame that they can't be "untrained from duty".

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Our Chocolate Lab only lasted 11 years. Broke the whole family's hearts when she died.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have a far higher regard for dogs than I do people.

With you on that one mate. ONE companion. Puts up with my shit, does not look at me badly when I fart, does not ask where I have been when I turn up late, always gives me love no matter what, is not bothered if I do not have a pot to piss in ( as long as he gets fed obviously ), does not tell me off if I have too much to drink, never holds a grudge, wants to be by my side 24/7. Not many humans I have met like that.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

QUOTE]

Surely being killed half way through their life is not too sensible either.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
we also have a golden retriever who is nearly 14, struggling now though. back legs are going and he really does stink of shit...

With Harry I have to push his arse up the stairs every night as he has bad arthritis and could fall back down and then lift him onto the bed and the sofa but sometimes I do wonder if he is just being a lazy f*** as he knows I will do it.

I loved my dogs, it broke my heart when I had to make "that" decission and miss them terribly.

I have to say though, I do rather have a higher regard for my daughter and Grand kids than I did for my dogs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's only 6, so assuming he doesn't get taken out by a car, on one of his training rides, I expect a few years yet.

Attachments

• Albion pets 011.jpg
    Albion pets 011.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 50

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
With you on that one mate. ONE companion. Puts up with my shit, does not look at me badly when I fart, does not ask where I have been when I turn up late, always gives me love no matter what, is not bothered if I do not have a pot to piss in ( as long as he gets fed obviously ), does not tell me off if I have too much to drink, never holds a grudge, wants to be by my side 24/7. Not many humans I have met like that.

Yup. Due to an upcoming period of being away a lot I cannot look after a dog at the moment but I desperately want to get another in the New Year. I hate not having animals around me.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Does he post rumours on here?

He is still in training so I could teach him.. I would imagine loyalty would be his strong point regardless of who comes and goes :rave:

He only listens to me so I can feed him with more bullcrap than anything anyone could come up with on here :dunce:

29529f3d.jpg

I promised him a hundred virgin bitches if he could look elsewhere while I took this pic.

With Harry I have to push his arse up the stairs every night as he has bad arthritis and could fall back down and then lift him onto the bed and the sofa but sometimes I do wonder if he is just being a lazy f*** as he knows I will do it.

Uncle, that's how mine went to start with, but the day she went up the stairs on her own before I got to her and came crashing back down was the day I knew the decission was coming.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Could you not just move his bed downstairs?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I loved my dogs, it broke my heart when I had to make "that" decission and miss them terribly.

I have to say though, I do rather have a higher regard for my daughter and Grand kids than I did for my dogs.

As you should. Not having kids so can say I love dogs more without feeling too guilty :D

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle, that's how mine went to start with, but the day she went up the stairs on her own before I got to her and came crashing back down was the day I knew the decission was coming.

I reckon sometimes he is being a lazy bastard as he knows I will do it for him. He made it up on his own yesterday.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Could you not just move his bed downstairs?

That is a possibilty ! I could lift him up but he 6 stone. I did lift him a couple of weeks ago when he f***ed his paw up.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Luckily my other one can't ride a bike.
He'll be 9 soon, he's slowed a little but is still fighting fit, half the battle for a lab.

Attachments

• Albion pets 008.jpg
    Albion pets 008.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 34

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here