Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does it make you racist if..................

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
you use a racist word. Interested in people's thoughts

Here's an idea for you: Have a good think about the reason(s) you asked the question in the first place - & you might just find your answer.

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
Oh white folk can get ourselves tied up in knots over this.

How many of us have nipped to the 'pakishop' for a packet of fags? Who fancies a 'chinky'?

I'll hold my hand up, I have. Am I RACIST? No! Of course not.

Are there lefty liberal tree huggers out there who think I am because of that? Probably.

Am I bothered? No.

Is the bloke that works in the pakishop bothered? I asked one once, he laughed and said that he wasn't.

I've never asked anyone who works in a chinky, I'll try to remember to next time I'm in there.

I also habitually refer to Americans as Yanks (I'm currently working with lots of them. Are they bothered? No)

Scots I call Jocks or Sweaty Socks.

I'm Welsh, do I get offended by 'Taff'? No. 'Sheep Shagger' is cliched but not offensive.

I've called Irishmen 'Paddy' for as long as I remember, many of them taking on the name, and happy with it. I've even heard them laugh at Bog Trotter and Bog-Arab.

Frenchmen are 'frogs', I've called it to their face, they just laughed and returned with 'Rosbif'.

Germans are 'Boxheads', they don't mind - and if they do I remind them that we won 2-0 so they either like it or lump it!

'Pakis Out' a slogan from the seventies - racially unacceptable, but because of the sentiments, not the word. Hating someone purely because they're a 'Paki', that's racist.

'******' isn't generally a word I have anything to do with. It doesn't describe where someone's from, it comes from slave days, it has become a taboo word. However, to rewrite history and change the name of Wg Cdr Guy Gibson's dog in the new Dambusters movie is ridiculous.

'Wog' is another word that's fallen from vogue since we were told we'd go to hell if we used it. But you know what, I still use it to describe the locals here who come on to base to clean, empty bins etc. Should I? Probably not. Am I being racist? No!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not matter what context a word like ni**er , pa*i is racist...

A word like black for e.g that black bloke i dont see as racist

I disagree that the word Paki is racist. It describes someone from Pakistan and to have people classing that as racist seems to indicate that someone from there is somehow second rate and that, imo, is more racist than just using the word in a way thats not meant to be offensive. Would someone calling you a Brit be offensive to you?

Its all about how a word is used in context. For example do you deem this sentance racist?
****** was a male black labrador retriever belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Slightly surprised and depressed by a few comments on this thread. I know I've been away from Britain for a couple of years - but has it really become this fractured? Are my British Indian, British African, British Jamaican friends any less British?

Don't be depressed, you just need to brush up on your arithmatic.

If your friends are defining themselves as having a dual nationalities (e.g. British/Indian) then they will logically be 50% less British than someone who defines themselves singularly as British.

Its like supporting a football team isn't it...............you cant truly support two or more, and if you do, then you cant support one team 100%.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's simply not enough just to be non-racist. What matters is to be mindful of how your words land with other people.

Just because you do some kind of racism check-up on yourself and decide you don't have a racist bone in your body, it doesn't mean it gives you a blank cheque to use words such as 'paki', 'chinky' and '******' and get uppity if others don't like it. Some words aren't used deliberately to cause offence, but can trigger memories of being previously used in a deliberately offensive way.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

How many of us have nipped to the 'pakishop' for a packet of fags? Who fancies a 'chinky'?

I'll hold my hand up, I have. Am I RACIST? No! Of course not.

Are there lefty liberal tree huggers out there who think I am because of that? Probably.

Am I bothered? No.

Is the bloke that works in the pakishop bothered? I asked one once, he laughed and said that he wasn't.

I've never asked anyone who works in a chinky, I'll try to remember to next time I'm in there.

I also habitually refer to Americans as Yanks (I'm currently working with lots of them. Are they bothered? No)

Scots I call Jocks or Sweaty Socks.

I'm Welsh, do I get offended by 'Taff'? No. 'Sheep Shagger' is cliched but not offensive.

I've called Irishmen 'Paddy' for as long as I remember, many of them taking on the name, and happy with it. I've even heard them laugh at Bog Trotter and Bog-Arab.

Frenchmen are 'frogs', I've called it to their face, they just laughed and returned with 'Rosbif'.

Germans are 'Boxheads', they don't mind - and if they do I remind them that we won 2-0 so they either like it or lump it!

'Pakis Out' a slogan from the seventies - racially unacceptable, but because of the sentiments, not the word. Hating someone purely because they're a 'Paki', that's racist.

'******' isn't generally a word I have anything to do with. It doesn't describe where someone's from, it comes from slave days, it has become a taboo word. However, to rewrite history and change the name of Wg Cdr Guy Gibson's dog in the new Dambusters movie is ridiculous.

'Wog' is another word that's fallen from vogue since we were told we'd go to hell if we used it. But you know what, I still use it to describe the locals here who come on to base to clean, empty bins etc. Should I? Probably not. Am I being racist? No!

This , have been up the pakis shop for beers and had a chinkey tonight .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why would you want to use a term that you even think may cause offence? Frankly, I dont understand the need for anybody to use a racist term, unless it was to cause offence, but then again, most people would not have a pair big enough to call somebody nxxxxr

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why would you want to use a term that you even think may cause offence?

This is key. Its not the people pidgeon holed who are offended but people who are offended on behalf of others, this inevitably leads to sanctimonious and condecending lecturing of people driven by a moralistic self-rightousness.

The Irony is those who preach are quite often quite clueless themselves. Take the PC term "Humankind". Do you find Manking offensive even though it refers to species and not sex? If you dont there are plenty of other ignorant preachy types who will.

People in general don't like being lectured, this is magnified by the belief that those that are preaching are fools. This in turn leads to bating. If I say, "I like Niggers but couldn't eat a whole one". Am I infact a racist whos trying to torment any blacks on this forum or am I mercilessly trolling the gaurdianistas?

The fact we have a massive diverse Media that no one political group can patrol or police, so to sum up those who like to preach need to get the f*** over it. Otherwise you will be ignored by the racists, abused by the contrarians, thumbed by the libertarians owned by the trolls and intellectually thrashed by people who have a better idea of these terms and issues.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Here's an idea for you: Have a good think about the reason(s) you asked the question in the first place - & you might just find your answer.

to find out what people think. However, if you don't understand the question, feel free to seek help from an adult.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
to find out what people think. However, if you don't understand the question, feel free to seek help from an adult.

I certainly do have a grasp of the question you asked, but it appears you have no understanding of either your question or my answer. 'Feel free to seek some help from an adult' indeed... :rolleyes:

Wazzetta

Sep 6, 2011
Perspective

Someone clearly takes their self far too seriously. There will be another bandwagon for you to jump on soon and feel free to wave your "Free the oppressed" flag!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I certainly do have a grasp of the question you asked, but it appears you have no understanding of either your question or my answer. 'Feel free to seek some help from an adult' indeed... :rolleyes:

A lot of children find the only way they can respond is to mimic. I presume you find that a lot in the playground?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Someone clearly takes their self far too seriously. There will be another bandwagon for you to jump on soon and feel free to wave your "Free the oppressed" flag!

The great brainwashed indeed Wazetta, people love a bandwagon.

The offensiveness of the lable '******' is extreme because it was originally and for centuries a deriding humiliating term. It was used with spite and bullying attitude towards 'negros', which is also a slave term that I imagine comes from the Portuguese traders who started taking people from their families and selling them in a disgusting and heartbreaking 'business'. Maybe they should count themselves lucky not to have just been killed by invaders instead of captured for a lifetime as 'prisoners of war' doing hard labour and demeaned by 'ownership' by people who profited from them.
The dark-skinned or 'black' youth started making light of the moniker as a way to dissipate the seething that they might otherwise have been inclined to feel for their history. Putting it behind them, and then perhaps putting it behind white people eventually too.

I even had a black Puerto Rican neighbour and friend who would say it to me; "what's up ******?" as we slapped hands and headed for a bevvy or just met up to shoot the shit.
I liked that we were on that familiar a term because we were mates (no idea where he is now, unfortunately), yet somehow I wasn't comfortable to call him by the same 'affectionate' title, and chose to stick with 'bro' or 'man'.
He had his way of talking and I was happier with mine, that worked okay.

When I first went to California I went around with a couple of black lads in San Diego. One of these lads was cool and the other showed a distrust of white people that was easy to perceive. When we went to a bar on the beachfront that was frequented by 'jarheads', US Marines, we were given attitude by them as they muttered '******-lovers' in our direction just for hanging with a couple of lads who happened not to be white. Ignorance still had a strong foothold in the armed forces there.

Is 'wogs' racially offensive? I mean is it reserved for people of colour, or isn't it just a terminology for 'gophers' in the sense that they just do the scraping and fetching?
I have to say that Alf Garnett's repetitive 'joke' about "bluuuddy WOGS" refererring to black immigrants was fairly offensive, making it be a joke didn't really feel like it was lightening the situation, for me. Mr Rigsby in Rising Damp managed to succeed where Garnett failed - probably because both the students could roll their eyes and make fun of his fixations, and the brunt of his generalisations was always Rigsby. Where 'some' could actually relate to the Enoch-era Alf Garnett, the plonker Rigsby portrayed was actually amusing, for his troubles.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here