Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does it make you racist if..................

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
hate is a very strong word,it could only be applied to someone who has harmed you or someone close to you,that's pure hatred

whereas just disliking a group of people for a general reason,would surely mean the whole world is racist

And what is this general reason you hate all Australians. Having lived here for almost 10 years I haven't really noticed a single trait that they all share let alone one that would make someone dislike them.

That is the thing about racism and xenophobia that I don't really get. People from what ever country or race have a wide variety of personality traits and characteristics and it is impossible to write off vast swathes of people based on a limited experience of those people.

I suppose it is possible to dislike a countries culture or stereotype but even these are not representative of every person from the race or country. There have been several threads on NSC about 'what is means to be English' and the definitions are broad and wide ranging depending on your viewpoint.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
And what is this general reason you hate all Australians. Having lived here for almost 10 years I haven't really noticed a single trait that they all share let alone one that would make someone dislike them.

That is the thing about racism and xenophobia that I don't really get. People from what ever country or race have a wide variety of personality traits and characteristics and it is impossible to write off vast swathes of people based on a limited experience of those people.

I suppose it is possible to dislike a countries culture or stereotype but even these are not representative of every person from the race or country. There have been several threads on NSC about 'what is means to be English' and the definitions are broad and wide ranging depending on your viewpoint.

same reason i don't like cornish pasties or doctors

Is the word 'Mong' disrespectful to a Downs child?

Do come on, you people should be able to figure this stuff out.
But anyway, it's not up to YOU if it's an insult - it's up to the victim of these flippant epithets you cheerfully want to use with impunity.

Howsabout 'crip' for a disabled person while you are at it?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Are people really under the illusion that wog and paki are NOT racist terms?

FFS

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are people really under the illusion that wog and paki are NOT racist terms?

FFS

Strictly speaking, no words are inherently racist, but the context in which they are used can give them the meaning that they are being used to expressed hatred on the basis on nationality, ethnicity or racial heritage.

Feb 12, 2012

But anyway, it's not up to YOU if it's an insult - it's up to the victim of these flippant epithets you cheerfully want to use with impunity.

Is it only up to the victim? Surely it is more complex. Otherwise anyone could complain about any term they just did not like.

Crip? Never heard of it. (I guess short for cripple?) In my day they were all spastics. Spazzers for short.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

To be fair I dont think that's the point, the use of the insult "mong" is more likely to be directed at someone without down syndrome. This is the problem, we are confusing insults based on fact with those made with lazy assumptions.

If someone stinks of piss and you shout "you f***ing reek of piss you pissy stink c*nt" then it is based on a factual truth. Its offensive, but fair.

If someone shouted it at someone who doesn't stink of piss it is much more insulting and offensive and seeks to demean them on a false premis.

They should be able to retort, but I dont stink of piss, if anything I stink of shit.

Then you can legitimately use more accurate insults like "you stink like Bobby Sand's pyjamas you shit stinking c*nt."

Once we get over people's sensitivities we will be able to insult much more liberally................happy days.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it only up to the victim? Surely it is more complex. Otherwise anyone could complain about any term they just did not like.

True. The Macperson report following the Stephen Lawrence murder recommended that an incident thought to have a racist motive should be investigated as such. However, that does not mean such an investigation will find that the incident investigated was racially-motivated. I think that that is even-handed. Of course, NMH is right that it is not merely down to the accused to decide whether a word he or she used has racism behind it. Besides sometimes being deliberately disguised, racism is not always carried out in a deliberate or conscious way.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Strictly speaking, no words are inherently racist, but the context in which they are used can give them the meaning that they are being used to expressed hatred on the basis on nationality, ethnicity or racial heritage.

Ok.. I should have qualified it with context...... However I think it would be difficult to not concede that they are typically used in a context whereby they are used to express hatred/intolerance/bigotry on the basis of nationality, ethnicity or racial heritage.

Feb 12, 2012
Of course, NMH is right that it is not merely down to the accused to decide whether a word he or she used has racism behind it. Besides sometimes being deliberately disguised, racism is not always carried out in a deliberate or conscious way.

I thought NMH said that it was always down to the victim.

'racism is not always carried out in a deliberate or conscious way' opens a minefield of debate. Ask Suarez.

Feb 12, 2012
Ok.. I should have qualified it with context...... However I think it would be difficult to not concede that they are typically used in a context whereby they are used to express hatred/intolerance/bigotry on the basis of nationality, ethnicity or racial heritage.

Or even those pikeys in croydon?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought NMH said that it was always down to the victim.

'racism is not always carried out in a deliberate or conscious way' opens a minefield of debate. Ask Suarez.

NMH did say that but I'm not agreeing with him that it's merely down to the victim. But, at the same time, I think he's right that it's not up to the accused to completely decide. Well, yes, 'racism is not always carried out in a deliberate or conscious way' does open up a minefield of debate. However, it is an understanding of the subtler aspects of racism that has been publicly discussed and agreed by public bodies such as the Metropolitan Police for over a decade now. I agree with that understand too. Certainly, as a form of racism, it's harder to pin down in some cases, but worth dealing with because of the negative consequences.

To take an example outside of racism, by day, I've worked in many children's nurseries in Brighton and Hove. Ask any female member of staff whether they are sexist against boys. They'll say no, and I'm sure they don't deliberately set out to treat boys less equally. Yet, if you see who gets punished more harshly, who gets most affection, whose interests and strengths are valued, it's very hard to argue with the view that boys get a raw deal. Undeliberate it may be, but it's still institutionally sexist and damaging all the same. In the same way, someone may not set out to be racist, but their behaviour can lead to others being isolated, put down etc in a way that is linked to race.

Last edited:

Feb 12, 2012
To take an example outside of racism, by day, I've worked in many children's nurseries in Brighton and Hove. Ask any female member of staff whether they are sexist against boys. They'll say no, and I'm sure they don't deliberately set out to treat boys less equally. Yet, if you see who gets punished more harshly, who gets most affection, whose interests and strengths are valued, it's very hard to argue that boys get a raw deal. Undeliberate it may be, but it's still institutionally sexist and damaging all the same.

The feminisation of the education system, the rapid increase in those (mostly boys) diagnosed as autistic and ADHD as well as the general 'anti-male' stance of school administrators and bureaucrats probably deserves it's own thread. ;-)

So I suppose I must be warming to your view on racism...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here