Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
How about "I Vow To Thee My Country". Katherine Jenkins has a wonderful version on You Tube. It's a pity she's Welsh.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's always sung/played too quick or too slow but GSTQ still ours... and very British... and very goosepimply

Yes, but it's not going to be National Anthem until we secede from the Union, is it? And it's not goosepimply at all. Just a dirge.

The Marseilleaise - that's goosepimply.

And what Lawros left foot said, this.

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Always been a big fan of Jerusalem myself, partially because I'm a republican...

... and religious too? 'Those feet' mentioned in the first line were subsequently nailed to a cross somewhere in the Middle East.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
... and religious too? 'Those feet' mentioned in the first line were subsequently nailed to a cross somewhere in the Middle East.

Really? Jerusalem was written by William Blake, "those feet" he mentioned were nowhere near the Middle East.
The poem by William Blake was about England, the clue and reference to Jerusalem is pretty clear in the words.
"And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Really? Jerusalem was written by William Blake, "those feet" he mentioned were nowhere near the Middle East.
The poem by William Blake was about England, the clue and reference to Jerusalem is pretty clear in the words.
"And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

I remember from my schooldays that Jesus was beleived by some to have visited England with his uncle,Joseph of Aramis (i think that was his name) during his teenage years, and i always understood this was what Blake was referencing

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Appalling dirge of a tune, irrespective of anyone's views on the subject of it.

A national anthem should be just that - anthemic. It should be stirring and uplifting, not funereal and yawn-inducing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Appalling dirge of a tune, irrespective of anyone's views on the subject of it.

A national anthem should be just that - anthemic. It should be stirring and uplifting, not funereal and yawn-inducing.

Shine?

[yt]JwC1Ctrj6Xk[/yt]

So come on, so come on, get it on
Don't know what you're waiting for
Your time is coming don't be late, hey hey
So come on, See the light on your face
Let it shine, Just let it shine, Let it shine!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
When England win a gold medal in the Commonwealth Games, Land Of Hope And Glory gets played. That probably should be the anthem as God Save The Queen is the anthem for the whole of the United Kingdom, regardless of what one thinks of its rousing qualities. Personally, I'd be up for World In Motion being played before the start of each international and John Barnes being brought on the pitch to perform the rap. It would get the crowd revved up I'm sure.

Feb 14, 2010
No. England doesnt have a national anthem and long may that unique quality remain. God Save the Queen is a song for people who believe or will put up with the concept of birth right instead of earning something by merit. As for anthems well I dont want us to have some jingoistic song and by not having one, in this, if not football, England leads the way. We should not have a song played at all, now that would show proper class.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No. England doesnt have a national anthem and long may that unique quality remain. God Save the Queen is a song for people who believe or will put up with the concept of birth right instead of earning something by merit. As for anthems well I dont want us to have some jingoistic song and by not having one, in this, if not football, England leads the way. We should not have a song played at all, now that would show proper class.

I'd go with that - I'm of a generation that remembers when they used to play the national anthem at the end of a film in the cinema - a real dichotmy - if you could you made a mad rush for the exit before the anthem started but if you couldn't you stood still in respectful silence.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I like God Save The Queen.

please please dont anyone else say its a dirge. does anyone ever use the word dirge apart from online discussions about a new national anthem. when everyone seems obliged to. its a) boring and b) irrelevant - its not the x factor.

keep god save the queen. what are we ****ing yugoslavia? adopting different flags and anthems just because some chippy scots get a vote and some taffs get a glorified town council. what a bunch of insecure bedwetters we are turning into.

god save the queen is the anthem i grew up with, is known world wide and instantly associated with britain (and generally, outside, that means england also, stuff the rest of them), and i am not having someone pressing to change it to a church hymn just because England is going through a massive identity crisis and there is an anti devolution backlash.

funny how the English pride themselves on tradition and currently we seem hell bent on tearing them all up.

changing anthems and flags are for former colonies and nations borne of war and trauma. Leave it alone and be proud of your history. dont try to re write it or re invent ourselves. we are making ourselves a laughing stock.

as for republicans you are in a massive minority in England to the point of total irrelevance. No one cares about tugging their forelock to a monarch when thye hear GSTQ, to think its oppresive or reinforcing inherited privilege, or some other nonsense is just rhubarb. its just the national anthem, no one thinks its some sort of prayer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here