Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do you feel sorry for Steve Kean?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He's CHOSEN to put up with it.

He can walk away any day he likes, and maybe save the club from relegation by doing so. He is taking the abuse so he can get a payout. Putting his own financial situation ahead of what's best for the club long term. That's very poor.

That is so much hypocritical bollocks. Once in that situation, of course he's not going to walk away and cost himself hundreds of thousands. Unlike the players he's managing (albeit not very well), I very much doubt he can afford it.

So the logic of your argument is that it's HIS fault because he's actually strong enough NOT to quit? You obviously don't follow football very closely, recent history is littered with examples of this kind of thing. In most cases, once the abuse is mounting and the owners want to get rid, they will approach the manager with a pay-off offer, the two parties will haggle, and off he'll go with a cheque and a statement about 'jointly agreed'. I expect that's what is happening right now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That is so much hypocritical bollocks. Once in that situation, of course he's not going to walk away and cost himself hundreds of thousands. Unlike the players he's managing (albeit not very well), I very much doubt he can afford it.

So the logic of your argument is that it's HIS fault because he's actually strong enough NOT to quit? You obviously don't follow football very closely, recent history is littered with examples of this kind of thing. In most cases, once the abuse is mounting and the owners want to get rid, they will approach the manager with a pay-off offer, the two parties will haggle, and off he'll go with a cheque and a statement about 'jointly agreed'. I expect that's what is happening right now.

He's clearly not good enough for the job. Even deep down he would admit that to himself. He would be a "bigger" man if he walked away now, allowing the club a chance to avoid relegation. Instead he's clinging on for HIS money, to the detriment of the long term future of the club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do you think that, when all the signs (improved contract) are there that Venky's are definitely NOT going to fire him?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why do you think that, when all the signs (improved contract) are there that Venky's are definitely NOT going to fire him?

Venkys don't know anything about football. I mean like, absolutely nada, even less than the Glazers. At some point soon, somebody they respect is going to point out that Kean's performance purely as a manager is a bit like Tendulkar getting 50 golden ducks in a row. Then the rupee will drop, and I'm anticipating that will be within a fortnight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Venkys don't know anything about football. I mean like, absolutely nada, even less than the Glazers. At some point soon, somebody they respect is going to point out that Kean's performance purely as a manager is a bit like Tendulkar getting 50 golden ducks in a row. Then the rupee will drop, and I'm anticipating that will be within a fortnight.

Well that's a pure guess. I also agree that they know nothing about football. If I was Kean right now I would go against the board BIG TIME, thereby getting the fans on board AND getting his payoff. Can you see any reason not to do that?

Everyone knows that Venky's are dodgy/sh*t so Kean would only go up in everyone's estimation if he was just honest about the whole situation.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He's clearly not good enough for the job. Even deep down he would admit that to himself. He would be a "bigger" man if he walked away now, allowing the club a chance to avoid relegation. Instead he's clinging on for HIS money, to the detriment of the long term future of the club.

And once again, I am saying you are a hypocrite. If you were a senior manager at a company with a contract for several years worth, say, £400,000 a year, and you were invited to waive all of it (worth several millions) to give the company a 'new start' and because some lower down didn't like you, would you just give it up like that? Would you bollocks.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The point I'm making (badly) is that there are a lot of people on here judging Blackburn's supporters without being in posession of all of the facts.

I find it hard to believe that so many Albion fans feel obliged to act all Barry Hearn towards their supporters, especially given what we went through. It's laughable.

I just think the Bolton game was the night to forget all of that for 90 mins and give EVERYTHING for the team, as the game was far too important. There are other chances to vent your spleen, but if the table is any measure, no better chance for 3 points than home to Bolton.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And once again, I am saying you are a hypocrite. If you were a senior manager at a company with a contract for several years worth, say, £400,000 a year, and you were invited to waive all of it (worth several millions) to give the company a 'new start' and because some lower down didn't like you, would you just give it up like that? Would you bollocks.

Clearly it's not the same as that situation at all. If I was leading said company into BANKRUPTCY, and someone else could come in and do a better job than me, then ethically yes, I would possibly "do the right thing" rather than allow others to suffer for my own personal gain.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clearly it's not the same as that situation at all. If I was leading said company into BANKRUPTCY, and someone else could come in and do a better job than me, then ethically yes, I would possibly "do the right thing" rather than allow others to suffer for my own personal gain.

If Blackburn were being run anything like properly, relegation wouldn't mean bankruptcy. Therefore it is not Kean leading them into bankruptcy. He is an employee (and by no means the best-paid employee). Here endeth your argument. They can sack him any time they want, with due compensation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Blackburn were being run anything like properly, relegation wouldn't mean bankruptcy. Therefore it is not Kean leading them into bankruptcy. He is an employee (and by no means the best-paid employee). Here endeth your argument. They can sack him any time they want, with due compensation.

The question is: "Do we feel sorry for Kean?" The answer should clearly be no, as he chooses to take the stick week in, week out. Simple as that.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
As a football manager, you're judged on results first - like it or not.
Kean's charged , by his bosses, to get winning results and he's not delivering after almost a year in the job. He's had a go,it's not worked out and so it's time to move on.
Some people are leaders and some are destined to be no.2 's. It's patently obvious, SK is a no.2

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The question is: "Do we feel sorry for Kean?" The answer should clearly be no, as he chooses to take the stick week in, week out. Simple as that.

You're clearly one of these people who thinks it is all right to take out all your own life issues on some bloke out of his depth (ie wrongly appointed) but just doing his best. I am not. Have you been watching some of these protests? Paedophiles get less stick. How does that sit on your moral compass? Blackburn fans have lost the plot big-time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're clearly one of these people who thinks it is all right to take out all your own life issues on some bloke out of his depth (ie wrongly appointed) but just doing his best. I am not. Have you been watching some of these protests? Paedophiles get less stick. How does that sit on your moral compass? Blackburn fans have lost the plot big-time.

Utter nonsense. You know nothing of my life, and that was a bizarre left turn in what has been a good debate. That Marshal chap put it FAR better than I could've. Read his post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

For the last time, he is CHOOSING TO TAKE THAT STICK. Up to him. No one else.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyday he turns up is two fingers to the fans that want him out. He's not good enough. He has to accept that. Otherwise f**k it, he's going down and he's taking Blackburn with him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There are some very interesting stories about Kean on various club's forums that I didn't know about till mentioned earlier in this thread. If they're not true then someone out there has a massive imagination and a heck of a vendetta against Kean!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just out of interest, what level of stick WOULD you consider unacceptable, because your logic so far seems to be that ANY level of abuse/stick is okay, because it is not up to the abuser to govern their own level of behaviour - but up to the target how long he takes it before walking away. Clearly ridiculous, but that's your argument.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Do I feel sorry for him?........Yes.

Should he walk away from the situation?............ He shouldn't have to. He was appointed to do a job and if it isn't working out, those that hired him should fire him.

The fans don't run the club or pay the wages.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007

Agree, despite all the problems with chairmen we have had, not once did we turn on the manager. Jimmy Case was also clearly out of his depth, and took us to the bottom of the league, but nothing negative against him at the time

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think you've mistaken the point of the reference to bankruptcy in Mellotron's reply. He isn't suggesting Blackburn are heading for bankruptcy, he is using bankruptcy as the non-football business equivalent of relegation to make the hypothetical situation you put forward more appropriately comparable to Kean's situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here