Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do you feel sorry for Steve Kean?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't feel sorry for him as he seems determined to stay so he can get his payoff when sacked rather than walk and lose out.

He's putting his own pay ahead of Blackburn's future. He's clearly not doing what's right "for the club".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On the one hand the nature of his appointment makes me have little sympathy for him, on the other, I can't see anyone but a fantastic manager can get anything out of that squad. No big name fantastic manager will go to blackburn, which leaves them having to unearth an unknown gem desperate for a chance, so it does seem unlikely that Blackburn can do better, so the criticism does seem over the top.

I think ultimately, I take the attitude that it's not my team, so who manages them and how the fans treat them isn't that big a deal to me.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I believe Tony Mowbray spent NOTHING in the summer and look where Boro are in the table!

To be fair, he inherited a side that Strachan spent LOADS on.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No

Shouldnt have got rid of Allardyce if they were serious about staying up. Say what you like but he will keep you up, just like Pulis.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Don't feel sorry for him as he seems determined to stay so he can get his payoff when sacked rather than walk and lose out.

He's putting his own pay ahead of Blackburn's future. He's clearly not doing what's right "for the club".

In his defence (and I am very unsure of where I stand on this issue, depends how far he is in cahoots with whatever their dodgy owners are upto I suppose), that payoff is going to be worth a lot of money, and whilst I am unsure of his finances, it's not like he's done the manager merry-go-round a few times and got loads of expensive contracts and payoffs already to line his bank account.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In his defence (and I am very unsure of where I stand on this issue, depends how far he is in cahoots with whatever their dodgy owners are upto I suppose), that payoff is going to be worth a lot of money, and whilst I am unsure of his finances, it's not like he's done the manager merry-go-round a few times and got loads of expensive contracts and payoffs already to line his bank account.

Sure, but regardless of the amount, he clearly cannot do the job and is putting his own financial situation ahead of the club he is meant to be representing. I can't agree with that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After seeing his MOTD interview it looks like he was about to cry.
No. What do you do for a job, and how much do you get paid?
At the end of the day he just isn't a very good manager but no need for the abuse he is getting. Very unfair
If he isn't very good, then he could resign couldn't he. If he is a decent manager, then he can carry on until he's kicked out with cash, and then he can show his skills at a lower level and work his way back, doing a job he loves and getting paid loads at the same time.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Sure, but regardless of the amount, he clearly cannot do the job and is putting his own financial situation ahead of the club he is meant to be representing. I can't agree with that.

Agreed - I can't *agree* with it in principle, but whilst I hate to admit it I could see myself doing the same if I had a contract worth a lot of money. Cos let's face it, the job offers aren't going to come rolling in after this one!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed - I can't *agree* with it in principle, but whilst I hate to admit it I could see myself doing the same if I had a contract worth a lot of money. Cos let's face it, the job offers aren't going to come rolling in after this one!

True. I'm not convinced I would be able to take the abuse he's getting week in, week out though, even for the money. Tough one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know how pissed off I felt with McGhee and the 5-1 drubbing at home to Stoke, so I can understand how the fans feel to be bottom of a division that also contains Swansea, Wolves, Wigan, a weak Bolton side and a Fulham side perilously close to freefall.

They have a decent spine in Robinson, Samba, Dunne, Yakubu, plus decent attacking players in Hoilett and Pedersen. Kean's been unlucky with injuries but then he's had 7 wins in 37 league games so that doesn't really wash.

I do feel sorry for him. It's a dream job for a bloke who was only an assistant coach, and it's all gone wrong.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely, he's hasn't done a great job but he has no money to spend, the fans should look at the board not the manager. Besides this no-one deserves that much abuse just for being a shit manager (in blackburn fans opinions), the fans are a disgrace

D

Deleted member 18477

i don't like him, i don't feel sorry for him. i also don't feel sorry for the blackburn fans having a shit manager. infact im enjoying there games atm. i hate blackburn, no idea why, its totally random but i just hate them! didnt he also come out with a ridiculous statement on how blackburn would be in the champions league in a few years?

edit: ahh yes here it is...

Blackburn Steve Kean Champions League in four years - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm actually enjoying the bloke's ability to avoid getting the sack. I can't ever remember a more unpopular Prem manager, he's even managed to piss off the local MP who says he should be sacked, but he's still there.

Every day I turn the radio on expecting him to have got the chop. The comedy value is high.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Agree with you Pavilionaire. The comedy value is indeed high, especially to see who will crack first - the owners or Kean? Personally I don't blame him for hanging in there as any club owner watching the 'style' of football is unlikely to hire him any time soon so he'll need all the pay-off he can get.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure you can feel sorry for him. He's paid a lot of money and isn't good at his job.

Is the abuse that bad? don't they just boo him and chant for him to get out?
Wenger and other's get personal abuse from rival fans for made-up staff, i feel sympathy for them

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I feel very sorry for him, and the Blackburn fans frustrated me so much during that game this week, that I now hope that once Keen is inevitably sacked, they go down faster than a whores knickers. It was utterly stupid to create such a negative atmosphere in a game that was MUST WIN. Surely they should have all pulled together for that one vital game, given the players absolutely every possible encouragement for that 90 mins, and been the "extra man" that us fans love to think we can be. Next up are games at Liverpool and Man Utd, where they could have protested as much as they like because they are getting nothing from those games anyway, but Bolton at HOME. C'mon, THAT was the night they needed to pull together and drag out a vital 3 points.

I wouldn't have blamed Keen if he'd come out afterwards saying;

"We done all we can this week, I've done all I can, everyone at the club have done all they can, so that tonight we were able to give the team every last ounce of help and support we could muster up for them. When looking in the mirror tomorrow morning, can those fans say the same thing?"

Truth is they were 1 shocking (non) decision away from having a penalty to level it up, and a Samba header to win it. The margins are so very small in games like that, and maybe the fans as a 12th man could have been the difference. 12th man; they were pretty much that for Bolton.

Disgraceful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here