Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do you feel sorry for Steve Kean?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suggest those feeling sympathy for Keen go to a Blackburn forum and find out about him. And read December's WSC too.

The man is a f***ing twat, very political and clearly absolutely shite at his job.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I suggest those feeling sympathy for Keen go to a Blackburn forum and find out about him.

I think we know enough about message boards and forums to know it may be slightly more hysterical than balanced on there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we know enough about message boards and forums to know it may be slightly more hysterical than balanced on there.
Yes. Was NSC "hysterical" in your view when our own club was being asset stripped and doing silly things like organising "fans united" back in the day?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes. Was NSC "hysterical" in your view when our own club was being asset stripped and doing silly things like organising "fans united" back in the day?

Dunno, wasn't on here back then.

Is that what's happening at Blackburn then? Even if it is, don't forget we had "Gritt Out" daubed before his 1st game in charge which seemed rather "hysterical".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dunno, wasn't on here back then.

Is that what's happening at Blackburn then? Even if it is, don't forget we had "Gritt Out" daubed before his 1st game in charge which seemed rather "hysterical".
The point I'm making (badly) is that there are a lot of people on here judging Blackburn's supporters without being in posession of all of the facts.

I find it hard to believe that so many Albion fans feel obliged to act all Barry Hearn towards their supporters, especially given what we went through. It's laughable.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm sure people wouldn't feel bad for him getting a bit of abuse when they saw his payslip.

This is football, if you do a shit job then you get abused - it's as simple as that. How else are they going to get him sacked from the club :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I find it hard to believe that so many Albion fans feel obliged to act all Barry Hearn towards their supporters, especially given what we went through. It's laughable.

Indeed. Poor old b*ll arc*er having all those fans turn up at his house - he was only trying to make a bit of money and put food on the table for his family :facepalm:

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
It's a strange one as I really can't think of any other Premier League manager ever being so vehemently unpopular. To take a recent example, Steve Bruce was doing a piss poor job at Sunderland, has a history of leaving clubs in it AND is of Geordie stock. You couldn't be LESS popular on Wearside, and yet, I don't think Bruce received anywhere near as much stick as Kean is getting at Blackburn before he was sacked.

As has been pointed out already, this hatred towards Kean seems to go far deeper than his inability to get results on the pitch. A lot of Blackburn fans see him as a snidey operator who weasled his way into Big Sam's job entirely undeservedly. He is also seen as a yes-man, a puppet of the club's shadowy Indian owners, which understandably irritates fans. The board haven't invested in the team, despite their promises, and have riddled the club with debt (much like the Glazers at Manchester United). In a situation like that fans want a strong manager to show his frustrations at his board and Kean will never dare speak against his employers because he's lucky to have ever got the job in the first place.

And then on top of this you have the fact that Kean really didn't handle his drink driving case very well at all. If he'd just held his hands up, admitted he'd f***ed up and left it at that, people would have forgotten about it. But he didn't, he made a dick of himself. In a black and white case like that (you're either over the limit or you aren't) there's no room for doubt so just shut up and take your punishment.

I do think that there are sections of the Rovers crowd who are perhaps getting a bit extreme, but then they're used to having been a very well run club for many many years. So well run in fact, that they've often punched well above their weight, including taking the Premiership title in 94/95. Then when Jack Walker died the club carried on as a going concern thanks to the way in which he'd made plans to ensure their continuing safety after his death. The new chairman was prudent, sensible and much loved by the fans who respected that they couldn't expect to compete with the super wealthy but were just grateful to still have a competitive team in the Premier League. The glory years were behind them, but at least they could hold their heads up high that the way in which the club was run was a model of sensibility and realism.

Then in come new owners who behave erratically and upset the apple cart. They start making ludicrous claims which make the fans cringe (we'll buy Ronaldinho, Beckham etc.), treat a perfectly decent manager abhorrently and take out huge loans against the club's future earning capacity, saddling them with debt.

Understandably the club's faithful fans are against these Johnny Foreigners doing things like this, the wrong way, but instead of being able to rally behind their manager they find the man put in charge is on the same side as these clowns in the boardroom. Yes the majority of vitriol should be saved for the board, but when a clueless and dislikeable man who embodies everything that's making you angry appears in the dugout each week, isn't it understandable you're going to hurl some of the abuse his way?

Now I don't know the full ins and outs BUT I do know that a LOT of Blackburn fans have been left quite upset by the national media's coverage of all this, claiming that there is so much more to the situation that warrants their current behaviour and they're not just throwing toys out of the pram because they're on an express train to relegation.

So no, I don't feel sorry for him. If the stories are to be believed then he has brought this on himself and whilst another manager may not have the chance to fare any better on the field (with the same squad and lack of investment) at least he'd have a chance to reunite the squad and the fans. Whatever he has or hasn't done, Kean just doesn't have a future at BRFC and the sooner he is sacked the better for all concerned.

I'd say it's currently the biggest mystery in football as to how this man is still in a job.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
Hit every nail on the head with that mate!! Spot on!!! Unbelievable what is going on! the irony is that with every day he stays in the job makes him less attractive for future employment as he makes a complete tool of himself with every breath he takes! she should take a look in the mirror and put the club out of its misery by walking away!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks to [MENTION=22641]Marshal Josip Tito[/MENTION] for typing out what I couldn't be arsed to type. Kean is a f***ing nob who shouldn't be anywhere near managing a Premiership or indeed Championship football club.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I have more sympathy for the fans than Kean. There clearly must be more to this than is being reported generally by the national media as the Rovers fans didnt react like this years ago when Brian Kidd and Roy Hodgson were doing a poor job and eventually relegated them or when Paul Ince was taking them down recently before Allardyce took over.

It was always a very strange decision to sack Allardyce although I put it down to him having a strong personality that clashed with the new owners. It was an even stranger decision to then appoint Kean, there must have been better, more experienced candidates for the job.

But then the board topped that by giving him a new and improved contract in November for no tangible reason against the backdrop of these protests. There is something fishy going on and I don't blame the Blackburn fans for protesting so vehemently. Kean needs to go but the fans also deserve answers from the board ASAP.

I understand their fans groups have been trying to arrange meetings for ages with representatives of the board and Kean himself and despite them saying to the media they are happy to do this, the fans groups have not had a response.

If these protests/chants/demonstrations are the only way the fans can be heard then good on them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a strange one...

That really is a very, very, very good post. You can stick around.

As you say, you do wonder if it would be viewed differently in the media if it was, say, NEWCASTLE fans?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Think the fans are a disgrace tbo only ever booed one manager barry lloyd:tosser:
Only booed one player john barnes euro 88:annoyed:
blackburn manager is not the culprit,board and players have let the club down !
Now the fans have,what chance has the manager got!:ohmy:

Is that the same Barry Lloyd who got us promoted and then within 1 game of the top flight of fooball the next season, signed some quality players and made well over a £ 1 000 000 profit in the transfer market ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got a lot of sympathy for Steve Kean just as a human being, what he has put up with for months has been disgusting. Blackburn fans emerge from the episode with little credit where Kean is concerned.

That doesn't mean he is a brilliant manager, results suggest he is out of his depth in the Premier League.

But with no help whatsoever from above the bloke has fronted up every week, shown a lot of dignity in the face of vile personal abuse from fans and hostile media questioning.

He never had a chance, the knives were out from day one and the fans are missing the real target, the owners, who are a total shower. Kean didn't appoint himself.

I reckon he will do a very good job in the Championship in less hysterical circumstances in the future, if given the chance. Even with all the turmoil, Blackburn have been a bit unlucky and haven't been getting thrashed every week by any means.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Really difficult position for Kean, clearly the owners don't give a shite about Blackburn football club (and judging from their efforts neither do the players), all just hoping to make a few quid from Blackburn Rovers, so there is no way they will pay him off unless they HAVE to, they'd far rather he takes the blame (like bellotti) - hope he toughs it out and forces them to pay him off but it will be a battle of wills and he'll take a lot more stick before it happens.
Total case of a club hitting a brick wall, when they go down no-one will buy it from the owners, who now realize what a cock up they made buying it in the first place, arrogant pricks, thinking buy cheap, build it up using peanuts and then sell at a huge profit, ha! ha! stick to chickens. Sorry for the true fans though.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've got a lot of sympathy for Steve Kean just as a human being, what he has put up with for months has been disgusting.

He's CHOSEN to put up with it.

He can walk away any day he likes, and maybe save the club from relegation by doing so. He is taking the abuse so he can get a payout. Putting his own financial situation ahead of what's best for the club long term. That's very poor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I was Kean, I WOULD speak out against the board now. Big time. Be honest with the fans. He'd earn a SHITLOAD of respect from the fans, and when he was then inevitably sacked (sooner rather than later, allowing the side time to rebuild with a new manager) he would make a ton of cash.

Win-win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here