Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Swansman can fight his own corner, but while it was a clumsy analogy, there is a point to be made there I think.

I have been pretty vocal here, and elsewhere about my views on anti-vaxxers. I think anyone that refuses vaccination for non-medical reasons is doing something stupid and contributing to wider social harm.

However there are degrees of stupid and I do have more sympathy with certain groups ( eg where reluctance is linked to a justified suspicion of authority) than with others (eg the middle class hippies I am surrounded by, the right wing 'individual freedom' loons or the conspiricy theorists talking about Bill Gates and 5G). So it doesn't seem quite right to lump them all in with Farage and co. Also we want people to get vaccinated, and making martyrs of some doesn't always help pursuade others. Better to understand the reasons and then try to quietly target those that are pursuadable, not least by politely dismantling the arguments of the proper nutters..

If it hasn't worked by now, then I suggest that it ain't ever going to work.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If it hasn't worked by now, then I suggest that it ain't ever going to work.

In many cases yes.

But at the clinic where I volunteer we still have quite a few people of all ages coming in for their first jab.

Easy to assume that everyone gets the same level and content of news and informaton that most of us do, but that's not always true. People with poor english and/or who are heavily influenced by others, can take a long time to get into a position to take a decision for themselves, possibly against the advice of those around them.

To be frank though, the biggest factor is probably just the increasing inconvenience of not getting vaccinated!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Swansman can fight his own corner, but while it was a clumsy analogy, there is a point to be made there I think.

I have been pretty vocal here, and elsewhere about my views on anti-vaxxers. I think anyone that refuses vaccination for non-medical reasons is doing something stupid and contributing to wider social harm.

However there are degrees of stupid and I do have more sympathy with certain groups ( eg where reluctance is linked to a justified suspicion of authority) than with others (eg the middle class hippies I am surrounded by, the right wing 'individual freedom' loons or the conspiricy theorists talking about Bill Gates and 5G). So it doesn't seem quite right to lump them all in with Farage and co. Also we want people to get vaccinated, and making martyrs of some doesn't always help pursuade others. Better to understand the reasons and then try to quietly target those that are pursuadable, not least by politely dismantling the arguments of the proper nutters..

A pal of mine was against having the vaccine a year ago. He's Eastern European (albeit a full professor in the UK with an adjunct position at Stanford). He's a mathematic modeller, not a biologist. He took my advice and got double jabbed. He later caught Covid (albeit a mild case). He is an example of someone who had been uninformed (head in the clouds in his case) who was persuadable. So to an extent I agree with you.

However, he was not campaigning against vaccination. And his attention had been caught by some of the anti-vax narrative. I was able to explain risk-benefit calculation in terms he understood, and he is smart enough to understand personal responsibility and the role of an individual in society.

I think that anti-vax campaigners should be interned and kept in isolation if they continue to refuse a jab, because they are parasites abusing the generosity of society at best, and incubators for a mutating virus at worst. Unlike Boris the Liar, I am not a liberal.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
In many cases yes.

But at the clinic where I volunteer we still have quite a few people of all ages coming in for their first jab.

Easy to assume that everyone gets the same level and content of news and informaton that most of us do, but that's not always true. People with poor english and/or who are heavily influenced by others, can take a long time to get into a position to take a decision for themselves, possibly against the advice of those around them.

To be frank though, the biggest factor is probably just the increasing inconvenience of not getting vaccinated!

My emphasis - and agreed.

That is why we must continue to put the pressure on the antivaxers by making their lives as inconvenient and difficult as we possibly can. We have asked nicely...........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My emphasis - and agreed.

That is why we must continue to put the pressure on the antivaxers by making their lives as inconvenient and difficult as we possibly can. We have asked nicely...........

100% this…whilst making proper provision for those medically prevented from getting vaccinated.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A pal of mine was against having the vaccine a year ago. He's Eastern European (albeit a full professor in the UK with an adjunct position at Stanford). He's a mathematic modeller, not a biologist. He took my advice and got double jabbed. He later caught Covid (albeit a mild case). He is an example of someone who had been uninformed (head in the clouds in his case) who was persuadable. So to an extent I agree with you.

However, he was not campaigning against vaccination. And his attention had been caught by some of the anti-vax narrative. I was able to explain risk-benefit calculation in terms he understood, and he is smart enough to understand personal responsibility and the role of an individual in society.

I think that anti-vax campaigners should be interned and kept in isolation if they continue to refuse a jab, because they are parasites abusing the generosity of society at best, and incubators for a mutating virus at worst. Unlike Boris the Liar, I am not a liberal.

The second of my replies to Swansman (the one quoted by Highflier) was an attempt to clarify his misunderstanding along similar lines to the ones you both mention.

My issue is with those disseminating misleading and unscientific anti-vaxx propaganda and not those who naively believe it. And, to bring it back to the thread topic, I consider Djokovic to be in the FIRST category and many of the sheep supporting him to be in the second.

NSC reflects this too I think. Anti Vaxxer in Chief Albion Dan is banned (twice). Unvaccinated Swansman has not so much as an infraction in recent times.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

You started off so well.... and then you seemed to turn a bit batshit mental :eek::lol: Is that last paragraph a joke? You will never get 100% compliance or even above something like 90% (? I dunno guessing of course) because that's human nature, and perhaps rightly so.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The second of my replies to Swansman (the one quoted by Highflier) was an attempt to clarify his misunderstanding along similar lines to the ones you both mention.

My issue is with those disseminating misleading and unscientific anti-vaxx propaganda and not those who naively believe it. And, to bring it back to the thread topic, I consider Djokovic to be in the FIRST category and many of the sheep supporting him to be in the second.

NSC reflects this too I think. Anti Vaxxer in Chief Albion Dan is banned (twice). Unvaccinated Swansman has not so much as an infraction in recent times.

Ah so, you are distinguishing between 'anit vaxxers' - who actively work to disuade people from getting vaccinated
and those just 'unvaccinated' - who maybe believe some of the myths, but don't propogate them.

In which case I agree. Thats's a clear line to be drawn and people treated differently on each side of the line.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Ah so, you are distinguishing between 'anit vaxxers' - who actively work to disuade people from getting vaccinated
and those just 'unvaccinated' - who maybe believe some of the myths, but don't propogate them.

In which case I agree. Thats's a clear line to be drawn and people treated differently on each side of the line.

Yes I am and always have done. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] misrepresented me.

In fact my issue with Conspiracy Theory in general is its ability to do enormous harm to people who are already vulnerable and/or victims. John Ronson has a good few examples in his books, including how online trolls basically made a 7/7 bombing victim a target all over again. But the trolls were exposed as weak social inadequates manipulated by David Shaylor who was, himself vulnerable.

And it's not a coincidence at all that a lot of "believers" have mental issues. My sister-in-law's husband is a classic case. Served his country in Afghanistan and came out with tinnitus and PTSD. Since then he's believed every trope going; man never landed on the moon, plane vapour is "chemtrails", 9/11 never happened. Guess what, he thinks Covid doesn't exist and is certainly not vaccinated. Yet, if he gets it he'll probably be in for a pretty uncomfortable stay in hospital.

Other true disciples seem to smoke a huge amount of weed (which makes you paranoid).

TL;DR?

Farage and Djokovic (and those leading the picket lines of vaccination centres) - bad.

Swansman - not evil

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes I am and always have done. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] misrepresented me.

In fact my issue with Conspiracy Theory in general is its ability to do enormous harm to people who are already vulnerable and/or victims. John Ronson has a good few examples in his books, including how online trolls basically made a 7/7 bombing victim a target all over again. And it's not a coincidence at all that a lot of "believers" have mental issues. My sister-in-law's husband is a classic case. Served his country in Afghanistan and came out with tinnitus and PTSD. Since then he's believed every trope going; man never landed on the moon, plane vapour is "chemtrails", 9/11 never happened. Guess what, he thinks Covid doesn't exist and is certainly not vaccinated. Yet, if he gets it he'll probably be in for a pretty uncomfortable stay in hospital.

Other true disciples seem to smoke a huge amount of weed (which makes you paranoid).

TL;DR?

Farage and Djokovic (and those leading the picket lines of vaccination centres) - bad.

Swansman - not evil

This is all well and good...but now I am stuck trying to work out a way for your sister-in-laws husband not to be your brother... what am I missing...polyamourous? Am I being stupid? Or is that just a way to refer to your brother because you don't want to be too closely associated?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This is all well and good...but now I am stuck trying to work out a way for your sister-in-laws husband not to be your brother... what am I missing...polyamourous? Am I being stupid? Or is that just a way to refer to your brother because you don't want to be too closely associated?

He's my wife's sister's second husband.

Is that a brother in law?

Agh. I've no idea. He's crackers though (and a shit ton braver than me).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
He's my wife's sister's second husband.

Is that a brother in law?

Agh. I've no idea. He's crackers though (and a shit ton braver than me).

ah yes, that would do it...I think.
It's like some kind of logic/IQ test. Which I failed

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think that anti-vax campaigners should be interned and kept in isolation if they continue to refuse a jab, because they are parasites abusing the generosity of society at best, and incubators for a mutating virus at worst.

They remind me of the likes of Abu Hamza, abusing their right to free speech to spread poisonous rhetoric which has real world consequences.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Serbian community is pretty small though circa 66k, twice as many of Croatian heritage (they will be cheering)

Much as I would 'just love it' (said in a histrionic Kevin Keegan stylee) if Novax were to be kicked out in disgrace and banned from Oz for three years for being an irresponsible ****, an equal part of me wants to see him take the court to mass boos and chants of WANKER! WANKER! WANKER! ringing in his ears. It's a win-win for the neutral Jeff :clap:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A bit awkward for these two Aussie presenters who didn't realise they were still being recorded, but their thoughts sound about right.......

[tweet]1480858892951191556[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here