Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Divided Supporters

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Gully said:
I just reckon it is that we are battle weary. We had become so used to fighting to save our club, having done so for so long, now that the real decision is completely out of our hands and we can't do anything about it we have turned on ourselves. There will always be disagreement in general terms about team selection and who we should or shouldn't buy/have bought, but I can't honestly remember it being this bad.

Hopefully the green light for Falmer will come soon, then we can go back to normal.
good shout gully
:clap:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Withdean Wanderer said:
The players have come before, and now Withdean is apparently 'better', it shouldn't be an excuse. There's only so much blame Lewes can recieve if the money really is there to be spent.

Quite true! All the time the players had to use portakabins as changing rooms we had no trouble signing them, Then we go and build our own changing rooms and they wont sign anymore! Something does'nt add up!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:
Over 3 million quid has been spent on the legal fees in the last 4 years. What do you think we could have done with that instead?

I'm not saying that Lewes Council aren't partially to blame.

But all of last season Dick Knight told us 'the money was there'. It was never spent. Now we are seeing the results - the team is dreadful. That's just an example of how Lewes aren't to blame for everything.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:
I'm not saying that Lewes Council aren't partially to blame.

But all of last season Dick Knight told us 'the money was there'. It was never spent. Now we are seeing the results - the team is dreadful. That's just an example of how Lewes aren't to blame for everything.

The money was there if DK did what some of the directors wanted him to do.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Re: Re: Re: Divided Supporters

London Irish said:
Spot on. The idea that "it's just a messageboard" is bullshit, much of the bad things that start on here tend to spread out these days into the wider fan base.

Take the "McGhee is a racist" (so-called) joke that a few anti-McGhee'ers had some fun with to pass the time on here. Within a month I saw that comment at one of our away games start a fight among our fans :nono:

But I don't think the internet is mainly to blame, it just allows discontent and disagreement to spread quicker and in a more unhelpful way. The discontent has to be there to start with.

And for me, the source of that discontent is over-expectation among Brighton fans, and specifically the back-to-back championships causing many Brighton fans to think that the great problems of the 1990s had been solved.

The last 3 or so years has been a reality check for many that nothing long-term has been solved. That we remain an impoverished club with no real future without a new ground. Many have not been able to cope with that reality and have saught refuge in hammering scapegoats to explain our problems. And that's when the rancour and the arguments starts, alas :(

To be fair, the racist thing i'd heard from a fair few people, long before anyone had the balls to post it on here. And i don't know if anyone was joking, merely pointing out the co-incidences in arguments between players and managers which, to be fair, did exist (not that i'm saying he's racist, but you can see why people were talking - it didn't need NSC to point it out). But anyway, that's going way off topic

The second half of your post is probably quite accurate though. Our recent success has covered up the complete mess we're actually in, and that all we can rely on for contented fans is success on the field. Take that away, and things aren't really much better than they were in 1998 (aside from the obvious fact that we are playing at HOME!).

But even so, i do find it quite odd that is almost 'cool' to disagree nowadays. Everyone has something to argue about, especially on here. And really, i don't mind a good debate/argument on here. But when it spills over to games, then it becomes something to be concerned about.

Oh well, i guess it's up to the board to sort it. Back the team financially, or face the backlash.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Hasn't anyone got any suggestions for the 3 million quid spent on legal fees then?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:
The money was there if DK did what some of the directors wanted him to do.

So why did DK use McGhee not spending the available money as part of the excuse for sacking him then????

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Divided Supporters

London Irish said:
Spot on. The idea that "it's just a messageboard" is bullshit, much of the bad things that start on here tend to spread out these days into the wider fan base.

Take the "McGhee is a racist" (so-called) joke that a few anti-McGhee'ers had some fun with to pass the time on here. Within a month I saw that comment at one of our away games start a fight among our fans :nono:

But I don't think the internet is mainly to blame, it just allows discontent and disagreement to spread quicker and in a more unhelpful way. The discontent has to be there to start with.

And for me, the source of that discontent is over-expectation among Brighton fans, and specifically the back-to-back championships causing many Brighton fans to think that the great problems of the 1990s had been solved.

The last 3 or so years has been a reality check for many that nothing long-term has been solved. That we remain an impoverished club with no real future without a new ground. Many have not been able to cope with that reality and have saught refuge in hammering scapegoats to explain our problems. And that's when the rancour and the arguments starts, alas :(

I know we disagree on a lot of issues LI but you speak a lot of sense there, Coming back to Brighton created a bit of a rollercoaster ride that lead to the back to back championships and it was something we were never going to be able to sustain. It was purely a case of too much too soon but once fans get a taste of it they wont accept anything less.

The way it's gone since we came back to the Withdean is the same way it's been going this season, The good spells come all at once and everybody gets their expectations sky high and expect us to sustain it. But when the bad spells come very few people have got the bottle too see it through.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
so why have these problems only appeared recently then, after beaing Northwich 8-0 everyone was happy. We had picked up 3 decent away wins and thrashed a team in the fa cup. I dont remember hearing anyone saying that it was LDC's fault for us not doing better after them games.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I don't think the supporters are that divided. There are a miserable hardcore of about maybe 40 people who argue with each other on NSC. Thousands of people go to games and go home again without a second thought.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Withdean Wanderer said:
So why did DK use McGhee not spending the available money as part of the excuse for sacking him then????

The Blooms wanted MM out. They were never going to give DK money for players while he was manager.

Having said that, I'm not sorry to see the back of McGhee.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zesh Rehman said:
so why have these problems only appeared recently then, after beaing Northwich 8-0 everyone was happy. We had picked up 3 decent away wins and thrashed a team in the fa cup. I dont remember hearing anyone saying that it was LDC's fault for us not doing better after them games.

Now you're being silly. We beat a conference side that completely caved in once they were 4-0 down. How could we do better?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, that 3 million could have been spent on those rubber ring thingys to put on the seats of all the whingers at Withdean, it is obvious to me that they are so uncomfortable because of their Nobby Stiles...perhaps if they were in less pain during games they might be able to get behind the team and not just moan constantly.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I don't think the supporters are that divided. There are a miserable hardcore of about maybe 40 people who argue with each other on NSC. Thousands of people go to games and go home again without a second thought.

One of the reasons I go in H block is that there are fewer moaners there. I hated sitting in B and D block when I had to buy individual tickets. One bloke would only say 'sort it out Brighton, play football' I wanted to throttle him after half an hour. :lol:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Yorkie said:
Now you're being silly. We beat a conference side that completely caved in once they were 4-0 down. How could we do better?

i also mentioned the 3 succesive away wins before then, how do you relate them to LDC ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zesh Rehman said:
i also mentioned the 3 succesive away wins before then, how do you relate them to LDC ?

I haven't, you have. You are saying people weren't divided then.
Look back over Nsc and you'll see fans divided over the whole history of it. We are in such an artificial situation compared to all other football clubs.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

No, that's not true. People were arguing at Bournemouth, and yesterday I honestly thought i was going to see a 'fan' punch a fellow supporter over the goalkeeping incident. Last season, particularly in the North Stand oddly enough, it was quite common to have fans arguing about the management situation (just not as heatedly as the two blokes tomorrow). These incidents aren't happening on NSC, they are happning at matches. Admittedly, i can't prove that those arguing aren't NSCers i suppose...

Biscuit said:
The Blooms wanted MM out. They were never going to give DK money for players while he was manager.

Dick Knight SAID on several occasions that money was available FOR McGhee to spend, the best example being his interview following his sacking. Is Dick Knight a liar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here