Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Divided Supporters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Zesh Rehman said:
my point was that hes been credited with scoring 12 goals this year when really hes only scored in 4 games.

He's credited with scoring 12 goals because he's scored 12 goals.

Only 4 of them have been in the league.
Your point? Do cup games not count? They may have been off less importance now are only left in one of the cups, but i bet at the time you didn't say 'they don't count'!

Either way, he's still our most dangerous player. Not that he's got many competitors for that accolade at the moment!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Withdean Wanderer said:
I'm not writing them off, i'm just not getting too carried away. The only youth team players who've looked CLASS this year have been Robinson, Cox and Hammond. The rest have simple done a job.

Lets rewind the clock a couple of months to when we were scoring for fun and playing real sexy football! How much panic was there that the likes of Robinson, Revell, Cox, Hammond and Lynch were going to be sold for big money and it was all going into the Falmer black hole and we were going to disappear into oblivion! A couple of months later some of those same players are just simply doing a job until we can sign better players because their not up to the job! Fickle or what! :nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
British Bulldog said:
Lets rewind the clock a couple of months to when we were scoring for fun and playing real sexy football! How much panic was there that the likes of Robinson, Revell, Cox, Hammond and Lynch were going to be sold for big money and it was all going into the Falmer black hole and we were going to disappear into oblivion! A couple of months later some of those same players are just simply doing a job until we can sign better players because their not up to the job! Fickle or what! :nono:

Fickle? Three of the said 5 players i've singled out as being 'class'. During the 'sexy' football period of last month, i repeatedly stated that i didn't think Lynch was good enough to be going anywhere because he makes too many mistakes. I also didn't think there was any truth in the Revell rumour, because he wouldn't score goals at a higher level. He's a great asset in terms of his workrate, but he's not a goalscorer.

Disagree with me all you want, but don't call me fickle, when my opinions have remained consistent.:)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Withdean Wanderer said:
Fickle? Three of the said 5 players i've singled out as being 'class'. During the 'sexy' football period of last month, i repeatedly stated that i didn't think Lynch was good enough to be going anywhere because he makes too many mistakes. I also didn't think there was any truth in the Revell rumour, because he wouldn't score goals at a higher level. He's a great asset in terms of his workrate, but he's not a goalscorer.

Disagree with me all you want, but don't call me fickle, when my opinions have remained consistent.:)

I'm talking about the general attitude of Albion fans at the moment! 2 months ago we were world beaters heading for the championship and now we are coming to the end of a bad spell half the players are'nt good enough anymore!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zesh Rehman said:
Robinson has only scored in 4 out of 27 league games, not good enough

Robinson has 6 league goals as has Hammond and Revell.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
just to fan the simmering flames here.......the brand new ground at Oxford didnt exactly set their world alight did it or Darlington for that matter?

I think it is healthy to have debate. If we all toe'ed the party line or all hated everyone running the club, then things would be in a far worse state than it is.

One of my concerns is when Falmer is eventually given the go ahead, fans expectations become too great.

We have spent that 3million odd on the application, which has gone...we will be spending 30 odd million on the ground which was what we thought 10 years ago...so presumably this will go up.....I suggest there will not suddenly by £100million made available for players once Falmer is built...remember we still have to service that debt, therefore we will have to be patient then...........

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dave the Gaffer said:
just to fan the simmering flames here.......the brand new ground at Oxford didnt exactly set their world alight did it or Darlington for that matter?

I think it is healthy to have debate. If we all toe'ed the party line or all hated everyone running the club, then things would be in a far worse state than it is.

One of my concerns is when Falmer is eventually given the go ahead, fans expectations become too great.

We have spent that 3million odd on the application, which has gone...we will be spending 30 odd million on the ground which was what we thought 10 years ago...so presumably this will go up.....I suggest there will not suddenly by £100million made available for players once Falmer is built...remember we still have to service that debt, therefore we will have to be patient then...........

The problems ran deeper for Oxford. Kassam in a sense did the same as Archer and co, but did build a stadium (albeit very cheaply). He made a great deal of money on the Manor Ground and then put next to no money into the club at all, proceeded to hire a useless bunch of managers. It was only when the new board and Jim Smith took control, that the club began to provide food for the players. They previously had to take their own food in!! :eek: Unfortunately, they were too late to save the club from the drop, but there is hope. They also get decent attendances, 11,000 on boxing day, I believe. Not bad for a conference team.

Hasn't Reynolds messed up Darlington with crazy spending and poor invesments?

We will have to be patient, but do I remember reading that we will have to pay a £1.9m a season mortagage? That is £82k a home match... We will have to be patient, but at least the future is far more secure and we are likely to be able to borrow to fund the team, when we have assets other than players.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can't remember the details but isn't the stadium going to be run by a separate stadium company rather than the club?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
I can't remember the details but isn't the stadium going to be run by a separate stadium company rather than the club?

A stadium company of which the club (and the council?) are shareholders.

Basically seperates the club from the stadium if the stadium goes belly up.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:

Didn't know that.

But anyway, i think the club needs to find the right balance between covering costs and the playing budget. At the moment we're not doing that, causing us to lose even more money.

Only an improved, winning team will bring the fans back.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Withdean Wanderer said:
Is this a modern thing, or has it existed for years?

McGhee In/Outers
Henderson backers/Kuipers lovers
Those who back the board and don't

I can't remember fans being divided before in my 6 years or so supporting the club, so why is it happening so much now?

Edit: Please note, i am not talking about fans on the INTERNET, i am talking about those AT MATCHES

What is the difference? Do you mean some people gob-off on here but don't have the balls at matches? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

1066gull

clapham_gull said:
I blame the younger generation, they just won't admit when they are wrong.
Thats what all you adults do. Blame it on us.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Barrel of Fun said:

We will have to be patient

But I'm running out of LIFE?!!!! Many an Albion fan has gone to their death being patient, so bollocks to anyone that says that I'm afraid. We want a stadium, we want a team worthy of playing in it. And we want it NOW!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its got to do with many things, but tediously blaming LDC time after time doesnt rectify the reality that there is a growing split between different factions of supporters, 4 times in the last 2 seasons I have seen arguements between our own fans in away terraces that have reulted in either an arrest or unpleasantness.

I'm convinced Falmer has NOTHING whatsover to do with the petty squables but could in a roundabout way be the ultimate downfall, sitting next to a Millwall fan on Saturday they have exactly the same problem, the hard core support of many clubs has fallen sharply over the past few years and as a result the new supporters that have come into the game feel that success should be as instant as it is with Chelsea or any other on demand service they have grown up with. The Internet has given them an outlet to air their frustrations that were not (an to some extents and purposes still not) acceptable to air on the terraces, I think some who have gotten away with spouting drivel online have been given a very sharp reminder that there are people willing to confront you very quickly on the terraces.

For me personally the standard of general football at this level is the worst I have ever seen, basics like corners and free kicks seem to be a struggle to some kids who are on a grand plus a week, and more and more people vote with their feet, my worry is that football is starting to implode on itself with only the strong being able to survive you have to face the fact that as people fall away from football because of price/standard of product and the biggest problem of all, the availability of on demand top flight TV football, the result being many many people including the stay away fans question the need for a 23,000 stadium.

I read an interesting article the other day making a connection about banks starting to take a much harder line with clubs in debt and a survey nationally pointing out that in the CCC there had been a 45% reduction in fans under 20 through the turnstiles over the last 10 years coupled with a 450% rise in merchandise sales for the top 4 premiership clubs We think we have trouble now, I expect it will be a whole lot worse in 5 years time, with or without Falmer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
portlock seagull said:
But I'm running out of LIFE?!!!! Many an Albion fan has gone to their death being patient, so bollocks to anyone that says that I'm afraid. We want a stadium, we want a team worthy of playing in it. And we want it NOW!

We have to be patient about the playing side of things, BUT I wholeheartedly agree with the stadium. We are due our stadium in T - four years and counting... :down:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here