Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Divided Supporters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Adriodinho said:
Thats what all you adults do. Blame it on us.

That is because we are older, wiser and know better.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Rougvie said:
Its got to do with many things, but tediously blaming LDC time after time doesnt rectify the reality that there is a growing split between different factions of supporters, 4 times in the last 2 seasons I have seen arguements between our own fans in away terraces that have reulted in either an arrest or unpleasantness.

I'm convinced Falmer has NOTHING whatsover to do with the petty squables but could in a roundabout way be the ultimate downfall, sitting next to a Millwall fan on Saturday they have exactly the same problem, the hard core support of many clubs has fallen sharply over the past few years and as a result the new supporters that have come into the game feel that success should be as instant as it is with Chelsea or any other on demand service they have grown up with. The Internet has given them an outlet to air their frustrations that were not (an to some extents and purposes still not) acceptable to air on the terraces, I think some who have gotten away with spouting drivel online have been given a very sharp reminder that there are people willing to confront you very quickly on the terraces.

For me personally the standard of general football at this level is the worst I have ever seen, basics like corners and free kicks seem to be a struggle to some kids who are on a grand plus a week, and more and more people vote with their feet, my worry is that football is starting to implode on itself with only the strong being able to survive you have to face the fact that as people fall away from football because of price/standard of product and the biggest problem of all, the availability of on demand top flight TV football, the result being many many people including the stay away fans question the need for a 23,000 stadium.

I read an interesting article the other day making a connection about banks starting to take a much harder line with clubs in debt and a survey nationally pointing out that in the CCC there had been a 45% reduction in fans under 20 through the turnstiles over the last 10 years coupled with a 450% rise in merchandise sales for the top 4 premiership clubs We think we have trouble now, I expect it will be a whole lot worse in 5 years time, with or without Falmer.

Now that's a good post:clap:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
We have only won 17 out of our last 84 league fixtures which is probabily one of the worst current records in the league (just under 15% of games won). People want instant succses and there probabily was a fair few that thought we would go straight back up, having gained promotion from this divison the last 2 times we were in it.
We are avarageing 1 win in 7 games and doesn't really seem value for money bearing in mind some lower premier league teams charge the same price.

Also we never thought we would still be at withdean now and after all the amount of marches, protests and sit-ins still hasn't seemed to have got us thinking we are anywhere nearer falmer now than what we was a few years back.

The reasons are quite simple, and it's been part of human nature since before the Romans.
They, in particular knew that the entertained proleteriat masses, are not thinking about deposing or revolting against their current Cæsar. So, the Roman games, gladiators, public trials and executions etc let them 'eat cake' and leave their leader comfortably where he was.

Expectations, even at (although this thread isn't crediting us with having it, we are actually) patient Brighton, can only be stretched so far before we start looking for someone to blame.
If that someone is an easy target (aaaatchoooleonknightoooooo!), they get it in the neck. Although I myself am a big fan of FDM, Henderson is not deserving of fan ire. A good kicker of the ball, and not at all a bad keeper, we are actually lucky to have such a quality player.
Again, it is fan dissatisfaction that sees them look to every person they can look for - and for some it is the equally undeserving Dick Knight. Without him, we wouldn't even have a league club - period. Think he is riding a low wave, just for the easy life? Computer says NO. There are a thousand other easier options for a businessman to choose, above struggling with our club (of all clubs!!)

All this does not overlook the possibility that there ARE those at the club, who can be looked to for a response. It isn't JUST about what the fans think or want, and that "we want some fair results return for our gate-money" cannot merely and forever be excused by the political and/or financial situation of BHAFC!

For our management, I do not represent any Romans, friends or countrymen, nor am I Brutus or Marc Antony. The demise of McGhee couldn't be excused or ignored - he just didn't look like he had designed any way out of the slide. His squad had not gleaned any players we could see winning points, and the 'mercurial talents' were sold without profit or replacement. All the blame placed at their feet still begged the questions of management.
The morale and attitude reflected on the pitch did not suggest anything positive either.

If Wilkins can impress upon the squad, the fact that they are all in this together, and they want to pull out of this slide for the fans, for each other, and for the club - that's the foundation for survival. Once they establish that, they have to work together to correct the flaws, start getting some natural instinct for what each-other are going to do on the pitch, and boost confidence by seeing it win matches.
Because that is still possible, and as many faithful fans believe - probable, then support is, and should be, maintained for Dean Wilkins' Blue and White Army.

The biggest mistake I think Wilkins 'could' make, is in creating a blame culture within the team, or taking a role as a blaming boss. He HAS to take them on HIS side, take the blame on behalf of them, and get the lads working on where the problems lie on the pitch. Productive critique, constructive training, and useful tactical influence. He's got the players, they can all kick a ball and play good football - that's a fact.
Harmony on the pitch = harmony in the stands.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here