Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Diego Gomez

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I just think this is perfect

Let's keep the lad playing football with some past it, but of course very good players. When injuries are starting to bite for us after xmas, we have a new signing who can slot right in

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Actually, insurance companies may prefer it to come from an independent and internationally recognised sports scientists, than from a club that have stakes in that player.
Is there such a thing as insurance against players getting injured?

Insurance is generally for something that’s unlikely to happen, but if it did then you’d not be able to pay for it yourself. Given how common long-term or even career ending injuries are, I’d have thought that the clubs would have to cover that risk themselves.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Of course.

But I challenge you to watch this and still be of the same opinion.

Nah. No opinion change here I’m afraid! Good effort though! I’m not sure how long Messi’s legs would stay intact if he’d played in Diego’s era tbh.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Insurance is generally for something that’s unlikely to happen, but if it did then you’d not be able to pay for it yourself. Given how common long-term or even career ending injuries are, I’d have thought that the clubs would have to cover that risk themselves.
I heard we received massive insurance payouts every time Lallana wondered off the pitch after 8 minutes and the premiums were actually very reasonable.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Clubs and players will have insurance against career ending injuries to protect their investment in the player/protect the player from loss of earnings.

Players are an asset for a club and in normal business you’d have insurance protecting yourself from loss of those assets football is no different.

A career ending injury isn’t that common really, think about how many players we’ve got on our books right now and how many have had career ending injuries in the last 10 seasons. The only one who immediately springs to mind is Mwepu.

So insurance is very common but I imagine the premiums would make most of us do a double take. Although it is probably relatively cheap when you consider the income of a PL footballer/club.

Here’s a company that cover both clubs and individual players with examples of players they’ve covered for career ending injuries.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice signing for the future but getting very worried about our central midfield for next season. Seems to be even weaker than last year if gross and billy go.
You should let Tony and Dave Weir know. They probably won't be aware of that...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Clubs and players will have insurance against career ending injuries to protect their investment in the player/protect the player from loss of earnings.

Players are an asset for a club and in normal business you’d have insurance protecting yourself from loss of those assets football is no different.

I dread to think what the premiums might look like though.

Here’s a company that cover both clubs and individual players with examples of players they’ve covered for career ending injuries.

I was certainly aware that personal insurance existed for pro sports people that presumably covered a few years' of lost wages. It's a different magnitude of payout to cover the loss of an asset potentially valued at 10s of millions.

Career-ending injuries or conditions are common enough that insurance companies would want eye-watering premiums if they even wanted to accept the risk at all - insurance companies exist to make money after all. It'd probably be cheaper for clubs to self insure using the money saved on premiums and take the hit when it happens.

It appears that this is what happened with Mwepu as there was an asset write down of around 9m appearing on the 21-22 accounts.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Gomez is a good player from what I've seen from him in Inter Miami.

Of course.

But I challenge you to watch this and still be of the same opinion.

Still remember his first goal like it happened yesterday.

What's funny is he scored similar goal just a minute before but it was disallowed for offside.

It's here around 1:43:30 mark.

It's a shame that Ronaldinho prefered night life over his sporting career. He's still one of my all time favorite players and would love to see him playing alongside Messi for a few more years. But ofc Guardiola's decision to let Ronnie and Deco go has proven to be the right one. He was wrong about Eto'o though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

A career ending injury isn’t that common really, think about how many players we’ve got on our books right now and how many have had career ending injuries in the last 10 seasons. The only one who immediately springs to mind is Mwepu.

So insurance is very common but I imagine the premiums would make most of us do a double take. Although it is probably relatively cheap when you consider the income of a PL footballer/club.

Wouldn’t be surprised if PB/TB have set up an offshore captive insurance company……

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It’s happening but No George until ‘25. It seems like there are still some homes to plug if Gilmour and Groß leave this week.
Even if Gilmour would leave, I don't think any more midfielders are coming in. Another CB and/or another RB could come but anything more in terms of midfielders or attackers looks very unlikely to me. The competition is already unreal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Even if Gilmour would leave, I don't think any more midfielders are coming in. Another CB and/or another RB could come but anything more in terms of midfielders or attackers looks very unlikely to me. The competition is already unreal.
Let’s see.

We were after a midfield goal/assist king in KDH and are losing our own German version this week. I think Hürzeler needs a big contribution from midfield in this department but it’s not clear who he favours at present, especially if Wieffer is going to sit in very deep with the centre backs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here