Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Arismendi on loan

MozzaaSCFC

The Stokie
Mar 2, 2010
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi there; as you can tell I'm a Stoke fan :thumbsup:; but Arismendi is a quality player and in my opinion in games I've seen him in reserves and league cup games he's too good for League 1 (no disrespect intended) but this is a HUGE coup for you guys; Big, Strong, Can pass a ball - short, long; But also a monster in tackling and will get through legs so if you want a bone cruncher then this is your man; back in Uruguay where you need to commit murder to get booking his disciplinary record is high to say the least. More recently its been stated that accustoming to life in England is slower than planned and didn't know a word of the queens and stated he won't leave the club on loan until he learned the basics to communicate so he must of cracked it. Must also add against Blackpool in the League Cup he was our 2nd best player after Matthew Etherington and one of the balls he played to Ethers is one of the best passes I've seen this season it was just perfect in every way the angle, the speed everything!.

Stats
2 Full Uruguayan Caps in 2008
Was Nacional's player of the season in 2008 in the season they won the league
Played in the Copa Libertadores Final.

Well Done on your capture and will keep posting to see his progression. Good Luck Boys!.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hi there; as you can tell I'm a Stoke fan ;); but Arismendi is a quality player and in my opinion in games I've seen him in reserves and league cup games he's too good for League 1 (no disrespect intended) but this is a HUGE coup for you guys; Big, Strong, Can pass a ball - short, long; But also a monster in tackling and will get through legs so if you want a bone cruncher then this is your man; back in Uruguay where you need to commit murder to get booking his disciplinary record is high to say the least. More recently its been stated that accustoming to life in England is slower than planned and didn't know a word of the queens and stated he won't leave the club on loan until he learned the basics to communicate so he must of cracked it. Must also add against Blackpool in the League Cup he was our 2nd best player after Matthew Etherington and one of the balls he played to Ethers is one of the best passes I've seen this season it was just perfect in every way the angle, the speed everything!.

Stats

Well Done on your capture and will keep posting to see his progression. Good Luck Boys!.
Thanks for that. I hope he makes the team on Monday:thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Am I missing something here? It's a loan signing for a few months and people are reacting as if we've scooped Cristiano Ronaldo on a permanent transfer. The way the team are playing we'll surely beat relegation with or without this guy.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
But surely that's the point of this signing; Gus is not looking to just 'beat relegation'.

Absolutely. Which makes WW's 'I'll get excited if and when he turns out to be a superstar' over this even stranger seeing as he's been banging on ad nauseum about most of us having our sights set too low and not having any ambition. Like you said earlier mate, there really is no pleasing some people.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just watched his interview on seagulls player, from the small amount of footage he looked like a very tidy player, but he can barely speak a word of English, I hope that doesn't affect him too much, as he also looks to have a good attitude, he is here to play football, doesn't seem to bothered about dropping down two levels, said something along of lines of 'when gus wants me, ill be ready' perhaps suggesting he is yet to realise that on paper he is probably the best player we have ever had

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
all fair points

the defence has been a massive improvement since their arrival, but i think that is also to do with the fact that this is the first time we have had a stable back four that have been allowed to develop partnerships. under slade and early on in poyets reign, the back four seemed to be different every week. now we have a bit of consistency, we are reaping the rewards in being far more solid. it may be stretching the point a bit to suggest the same could have happened had whing and mcnulty got a run of games with virgo and elphick after that torquay game, but i think the improvement in defence is probably 60% down to the new players arrival and 40% being consistent

i didnt mean that the new chap would be the one to cause unrest in the dressing room - say navarro finds himself back on the substitutes bench when he has done nothing to deserve being dropped except for being the man to move aside to accomodate the new player, then navarro may not warm to the new man and may feel hard done by. i dont think for one minute that he is the sort of player to throw the toys out of the pram, but as you quite rightly point out morale is seemingly good at the minute and it is that sort of undeserved dropping that can potentialy upset it

for what its worth, i think this has all the hallmarks of being a decent signing - but i think its stretching the point a bit to proclaim that it is season changing when 24 hours ago hardly ANY brighton fans had heard of this bloke, let alone seen him play. give him five games and if he is the class act that most people seem to expect, then ill join the excitement bandwagon

Bloody hellfire - never thought I'd consider YOU the voice of reason!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
He doesn't need to speak English as long he can understand from Poyet what he needs to do which given they are both Uruguayan is no problem.

Absolute FLAIR signing I reckon. I mean when the f*** did we ever have a player that recently cost a couple of million pulling on the stripes. And that name - QUALLA! Inigo, Kazenga, Diego, Gary.......... well they all work apart from maybe the last one!

1000th post OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh! :bla:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Pervert View Post
Are you for real? He's not even kicked a ball for us and you're speculating about possible language-based dressing room unrest. Jeez. Unquote

I'm stating a possibility which is no less 'unreal' than what others have been getting excited over. It's possible he 'could' be a brilliant revelation for us and transform the team, but it's also possible he won't.
As for "language-based unrest" I think you are reaching for something I did not say or suggest. Can you read properly, or do you have to go into histrionic mode and suggest things that weren't said?

"Are you for real" (about something I didn't say!) got the appropriate response, which you sidestepped with a rather sorry and perfunctory "oh dear". Now it's well and good to be excited by this loan, and I agree about that - but I'd appreciate you don't just join in the general flock of squawkers with absolute mis-reading my post saying things I didn't state, as if I did. That does only deserve a retort of the kind that you put out there I'm afraid.

Have you found evidence of my 'backpedalling' yet?

The internet is full of dullards like you who argue black is white and claim intelectual superiority over 'the gibbering masses' when in fact you're just prize tools.

You are a prize turd, that's all.
See how that works, tosser?

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Pervert View Post
Are you for real? He's not even kicked a ball for us and you're speculating about possible language-based dressing room unrest. Jeez. Unquote

"Are you for real" (about something I didn't say!) got the appropriate response, which you sidestepped with a rather sorry and perfunctory "oh dear". Now it's well and good to be excited by this loan, and I agree about that - but I'd appreciate you don't just join in the general flock of squawkers with absolute mis-reading my post saying things I didn't state, as if I did. That does only deserve a retort of the kind that you put out there I'm afraid.

You are a prize turd, that's all.
See how that works, tosser?

In the words of Eamon Hamilton "whatever dude". Have a good evening.

Am I missing something here? It's a loan signing for a few months and people are reacting as if we've scooped Cristiano Ronaldo on a permanent transfer. The way the team are playing we'll surely beat relegation with or without this guy.

That seems likely to me to me too. However, perhaps in training, or looking at the squad's depth in the midfield position, Gus sees him as a necessity.
In the past we've seen el-Abd put into the midfield and do rather well there - I think el-Abd is even better as a midfielder than a defender in fact.

As has been said, trusting Poyet's pov as the manager is what is asked of punters, so whatever he sees for the player at The Albion remains to be seen in the flesh.. and on the grass. I hope his debut is in an away match though.

Poyet stated after the Norwich match that he refused to take any positives from that game - and perhaps that may have been a turning point for him with this team. If he is getting a better focus on how this squad is building, and where it needs attention, then let's hope his vision and ambitions are matched by the team's performances.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
More recently its been stated that accustoming to life in England is slower than planned and didn't know a word of the queens and stated he won't leave the club on loan until he learned the basics to communicate so he must of cracked it. Must also add against Blackpool in the League Cup he was our 2nd best player after Matthew Etherington and one of the balls he played to Ethers is one of the best passes I've seen this season it was just perfect in every way the angle, the speed everything!.

I guessing the fact that the manager is one of the biggest players to come out of Uraguay has something to do with him coming to us. I think we could be doing you as big a favour as you're doing us by letting him drop this far. Poyet is an excellent coach, mabye Pulis thinks a bit of time with someone from his homeland and some first team football could get him to settle in time for next season

MozzaaSCFC

The Stokie
Mar 2, 2010
Stoke-on-Trent
I guessing the fact that the manager is one of the biggest players to come out of Uraguay has something to do with him coming to us. I think we could be doing you as big a favour as you're doing us by letting him drop this far. Poyet is an excellent coach, mabye Pulis thinks a bit of time with someone from his homeland and some first team football could get him to settle in time for next season

I think your right; I think Brighton would be the best team for him to come to just for Poyet; it's his idol and can learn how to adapt to the English game as good as Gustavo did; I can see the logic in it all. Btw I saw something about wages earlier...think Stoke will pay majority if not all of the wages so don't worry :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I don't think we need to worry about wages really.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Yes you are. This is a statement of intent and sends a message to other players and clubs. Brighton are on the up and are going to be a force. Coming on the back of an upturn in form and in the context of a footbll structure where large clubs are in danger of going out of business, I would think if you stop and think about it you can understand the euphoria. After YEARS of bobbing up and down the leagues and having no real home, it all seems at last to be looking like it might be true - Brighton and Hove Albion have survived and are on the up.

In the words of Gus Poyet - COME ON!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hi there; as you can tell I'm a Stoke fan :thumbsup:; but Arismendi is a quality player and in my opinion in games I've seen him in reserves and league cup games he's too good for League 1 (no disrespect intended) but this is a HUGE coup for you guys; Big, Strong, Can pass a ball - short, long; But also a monster in tackling and will get through legs so if you want a bone cruncher then this is your man; back in Uruguay where you need to commit murder to get booking his disciplinary record is high to say the least. More recently its been stated that accustoming to life in England is slower than planned and didn't know a word of the queens and stated he won't leave the club on loan until he learned the basics to communicate so he must of cracked it. Must also add against Blackpool in the League Cup he was our 2nd best player after Matthew Etherington and one of the balls he played to Ethers is one of the best passes I've seen this season it was just perfect in every way the angle, the speed everything!.

Stats

Good to hear, but having seen his interview, he can barely communicate, and obviously has a long way to go until he can be considered fluent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here