Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicks Bar

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For many of us football and the Albion is about our family. Therefore I go to watch with my son. I therefore can not go into Dick's Bar. Stupid.

That said the names stupid and it does have a feeling of a canteen rather than a supporters bar. And it also seems to be only frequented by a certain type of person. So I'm not too bothered. :)

ooh what kind of people...not smelly real ale drinkers ...eugh.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Two Choices are on next Saturday: nothing to do with me. Their manager contacted Richard Hebberd and booked the date in. The club are happy to have bands on, and I often have to dash off after games cos I'm gigging somewhere else, so I won't be there to set stuff up all the time anyway, and I won't be doing all the booking. All types of music are welcome. We have a PA, or you can bring your own. Contact Richard Hebberd at the club, or me here or via attila[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]thestockbroker.com
As for the name being silly or odd, I don't get that at all. He called the bar Dick's cos the club wanted the bar named after him and asked him to choose a name, and his name is Dick Knight! :)

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Just saying, out of all the clubs in England it had to be Brighton who have "Dicks Bar" hahahaha
Thanks goodness you pointed that out or I would never have seen the humour in it, Im sure when coming up with the name none of that irony was wasted, next you will be pointing out Graham Norton is bit camp, Steven Hawkins always seems to be sitting down, and why do you not see Steve coogan on stage with Pauline calf

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Regarding the kids thing - is it not just an issue of getting the most spenders in there? It's always full to capacity - do they really want it full of families who logically (I appreciate this may not necessarily be the case) are likely to drink (therefore spend) less than groups of adults? I am a massive supporter of the concept of well-behaved kids being allowed in pubs in general, but I think on this one it ain't too far of the mark.

Robin Hood

Dec 4, 2011
You can please some of the people some of............I have enjoyed the bands so far, admirable bunch although had to leave early with 2 Crooks due to another function. :clap:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Regarding the kids thing - is it not just an issue of getting the most spenders in there? It's always full to capacity - do they really want it full of families who logically (I appreciate this may not necessarily be the case) are likely to drink (therefore spend) less than groups of adults? I am a massive supporter of the concept of well-behaved kids being allowed in pubs in general, but I think on this one it ain't too far of the mark.

Top post this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think they should move the mosaic so it can be viewed by everybody, in hindsight it was a poor decision to be put there

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
care to expand on that a little ?

Obviously when the people in front of me dont stand up for long periods, it is acceptable for the moments of excitement but not for long periods. This was a problem at the start fo the season but has now calmed down and isnt as such now. You are at at an advantage as obviously you know who I am but I dont know you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is literally nothing about Dick's that makes it unsuitable for children on matchdays.

I have not experienced any behaviour in Dick's that made me think "Oooh, good job there are not kids in here." (In fact, I have seen kids in there.)

There are no licensing reasons as to why kids can not be in there.

So, it is entirely the Albion's choice that kids are not officially permitted. I respect that choice, although I think it is stupid, short-sighted and wrong.

Absolutely this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely this.

Absolutely not.

Its a question of capacity - imagine the queue outside if it was families queuing to get in. A kid wouldn't give a toss whether he or she is in Dick's or on the concourse, no difference to them whatsoever. Whereas for the adults, its a place to meet up for an hour or two pre-match with other adults for a sit-down and a chat. Allowing children as well will just deprive lots of non-kiddied adults of a place for a few jars in a bar environment. We'd have to mooch off to the concourses, and I dunno about you, but I would certrainly NOT be arriving early at the Amex to stand in the concourse for 90 minutes, which is what I happily do in Dicks.

As an aside, I don't think they've made the most of it. The table/seating arrangement is inadequate and just doesn't come close to catering for the numbers on matchdays. If they fitted "booth" style seats either side of a fixed table, or fixed stools 3 or 4 either side of the table all around the perimiter of the bar by the windows, there'd be far more capacity seating-wise (and keep the tall tables for standing around in the middle as well). As it is, the armchairs and round tables just take up LOADS of room, without satisfying the demand. Its a bit two-bob in that respect but its still where I head at 1pm.

A ceiling would be nice as well, if I'm going to get ULTRA picky.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolutely not.

Its a question of capacity - imagine the queue outside if it was families queuing to get in. A kid wouldn't give a toss whether he or she is in Dick's or on the concourse, no difference to them whatsoever. Whereas for the adults, its a place to meet up for an hour or two pre-match with other adults for a sit-down and a chat. Allowing children as well will just deprive lots of non-kiddied adults of a place for a few jars in a bar environment. We'd have to mooch off to the concourses, and I dunno about you, but I would certrainly NOT be arriving early at the Amex to stand in the concourse for 90 minutes, which is what I happily do in Dicks.

As an aside, I don't think they've made the most of it. The table/seating arrangement is inadequate and just doesn't come close to catering for the numbers on matchdays. If they fitted "booth" style seats either side of a fixed table, or fixed stools 3 or 4 either side of the table all around the perimiter of the bar by the windows, there'd be far more capacity seating-wise (and keep the tall tables for standing around in the middle as well). As it is, the armchairs and round tables just take up LOADS of room, without satisfying the demand. Its a bit two-bob in that respect but its still where I head at 1pm.

A ceiling would be nice as well, if I'm going to get ULTRA picky.

Just as Bozza said, I too respect their right to see it that way. Personally, I think they're wrong.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I know - fcuk the football & build a massive Charlie Chalks family pub on the centre circle, that'll do it. As Long as its got the right type of chairs, mood lighting, everyone's favourite music, no music, some music, under 18s, over 18s, god forbid a mosaic you can see when your having a Stevie Gritt, oh - & a ceiling.........its a place that serves beer, that's full of people who support your football team - oh, & plays live music for free if you fancy it. If you don't like it, try The Sportsman......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just as Bozza said, I too respect their right to see it that way. Personally, I think they're wrong.

Why ?

Surely a bar is for adults. If I had kiddiwinks, I wouldn't be wanting to take them along ultra-early with me so I could indulge in a few beers in Dicks before the game. They'd be bored.

Is it too much to ask to have *one* child-free zone in the stadium on a matchday ? Its not like there is nowhere else to go.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why ?

Surely a bar is for adults. If I had kiddiwinks, I wouldn't be wanting to take them along ultra-early with me so I could indulge in a few beers in Dicks before the game. They'd be bored.

Is it too much to ask to have *one* child-free zone in the stadium on a matchday ? Its not like there is nowhere else to go

That is exactly the point I've been trying to make.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
God, I wish I'd not got involved with this again.

Its a question of capacity - imagine the queue outside if it was families queuing to get in.

There are big queues now. The disparity between Dick's Bar and the stadium itself always means the majority of fans will not go in Dick's on any given matchday.

A kid wouldn't give a toss whether he or she is in Dick's or on the concourse, no difference to them whatsoever.

Yes, yes they would. Dick's is inside, warm, comfortable and with a carpeted floor. it is the most child friendly place on the whole premises.

Whereas for the adults, its a place to meet up for an hour or two pre-match with other adults for a sit-down and a chat. Allowing children as well will just deprive lots of non-kiddied adults of a place for a few jars in a bar environment. We'd have to mooch off to the concourses, and I dunno about you, but I would certrainly NOT be arriving early at the Amex to stand in the concourse for 90 minutes, which is what I happily do in Dicks.

Right. So, you don't want to spend much time on the concourse pre-match, but you think kids and their families should do so if, as is likely, they want to get to the ground early to beat the busiest transport times.

A final point: Can you please give me a list of all stadium bars you've visited where children are not allowed in the same way as Dick's. I don't know how many grounds I've been to - somewhere between 70 and 80 at a guess - and I've visited quite a few stadium bars in that time and not one of them has been short-sighted enough to preclude children. Not. One. When the Amex was being planned and a bar was mooted, a lot of us spoke about Boots 'n' Laces at Torquay and Saddlers at Walsall - football bars with a great atmosphere pre-match and none the worse for children being included in the clientele.

Yet our club, our community-focussed club, our club with a ground built with a tagline of 'Falmer For All' really had a silent '(but not for kids some of the time)' suffix that none of us knew about.

As I say - I completely respect the decision, but it's an utterly shit one.

Looking forward to that list of stadium bars that also preclude kids when you're ready...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here