Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicks Bar

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been to between 70 and 80 grounds myself, but I nearly always find a pub on my travels rather than use the clubs supporters bar. That said, I've been in Boots & Laces, and it was indeed excellent - but from recollection it had a larger capacity and lots more tables and chairs (and was pleasantly more pub-like than Dicks). Port Vale was another one, almost like a mini-nightclub and again it was much larger than Dicks.

Both of those grounds get miniscule crowds compared with the Amex, yet they have similar sized, or in the case of Vale, bigger supporters bars, and therein lies the problem. I don't really have an issue with children being in a bar per-se. Its not something I'd regularly incorporate into MY pre-match routine if I had young nippers to keep amused, but each to their own.

The issue boils down to capacity. Its a 22,000 seater stadium, and that bar holds a max of about 300. A bar is primarily for adults to meet and have a drink and a chat. You've ALREADY got people sitting on the floor with their backs to the walls, with their pints next to them on the floor, because there aren't enough tables and chairs. I'd not be overly pleased to be standing around with nowhere to put my pint because most of the seating and tables is taken up with (bored) children.

Increase the capacity or use the space more effectively to get increased seating for people, and admitting children wouldn't be such an issue. As it stands though, the place is already rammed by 1pm, and admitting kids just means shedloads more adults not even getting the chance to go to the supporters bar for a drink.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Last two matches its been partly rammed with Southampton and Wrexham fans.
So Brighton fans with kids cant get in and Brighton fans without kids have to queue outside for 30/45 minutes to try and get in,only to find it full of opposition supporters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think they should move the mosaic so it can be viewed by everybody, in hindsight it was a poor decision to be put there

It can be viewed by everybody, including kids, just not on a matchday. Dick's Bar is open every day so if the kids want to see the mosaic then take them on another day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As it is a BHA supporters bar should we perhaps restrict it to home supporters and and let the away supporters have a drink in the concourses.

Do we need or want to drink with the opposition supporters I dont personally but I am only 1

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Regarding the kids thing - is it not just an issue of getting the most spenders in there? It's always full to capacity - do they really want it full of families who logically (I appreciate this may not necessarily be the case) are likely to drink (therefore spend) less than groups of adults? I am a massive supporter of the concept of well-behaved kids being allowed in pubs in general, but I think on this one it ain't too far of the mark.

Top post this.
Er, no. Coke is about 8x as profitable as beer.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
What about a compromise, kids allowed in before the match but not afterwards ???

Now that's a good idea.

As you said before, the entertainment is sometimes abit too adult for the kids.

Sent from my bed in my garden shed !

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why ?

Surely a bar is for adults. If I had kiddiwinks, I wouldn't be wanting to take them along ultra-early with me so I could indulge in a few beers in Dicks before the game. They'd be bored.

Is it too much to ask to have *one* child-free zone in the stadium on a matchday ? Its not like there is nowhere else to go.
Exactly. We said it was 'Falmer for all' and a 'community stadium'. Not everybody wants to be surrounded by kids and the club are to be congratulated on trying to cater for ALL fans and ALL sections of the community by having a kid-free area. Kids shouldn't be in Dick's any more than blokes should be using the ladies' toilets.

Signed: One smug father whose youngest is now nineteen and may have felt differently ten years ago!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Now that's a good idea.

As you said before, the entertainment is sometimes abit too adult for the kids.

No !

I want a chance of being able to use our supporters bar before the game for beer and pie, and maybe even get a seat occasionally.

Allow kids in as well and there's even less room for the adults. Its not BIG enough to cope.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
No !

I want a chance of being able to use our supporters bar before the game for beer and pie, and maybe even get a seat occasionally.

Allow kids in as well and there's even less room for the adults. Its not BIG enough to cope.

Fair enough ..... You've swung me back

NO KIDS EVER !!!
(on a Saturday)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No !

Why not ban women too? That would give you even more chance of a seat. Also they tend not to drink as much, so it would be more profitable.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It can be viewed by everybody, including kids, just not on a matchday. Dick's Bar is open every day so if the kids want to see the mosaic then take them on another day.

And matchday is EXACTLY when most families will actually be at the stadium .... bizarre idea.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As a father of two children who both go to games I am divided on this. I really would like the option to be able to take them into a more 'furnished bar' on a matchday. However given the restricted size, I can fully understand why others may not want my kids forced upon them given the other places they can go to. I dont buy the making money argument as a good enough reason to not allow them but the enabling more people to come in because you dont have to worry about tripping over kids does hold some water.

I may feel different if my kids were 10, 12 or 14 and would be more likely to sit quietly (just like an 18 or 20 year old would).

If the family stand concourse was better equipped with more shelf space somehow (not sure how this could be achieved - maybe some fixed standing points) then it would be a more credible alternative and would negate some of the concerns raised here.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Yes of course why didn't I think of that, maybe its the 60 mile round trip that puts me off a bit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here