Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker sparow painter

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus has mentioned Sparrow specifically in his post match comments by saying he did very well in the middle. Painter is stuggling but I thought Dicker had a better game today and was by no means the worst player.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i said after the ipswich game,that dicker had his worse game,sorry that was even worse.
To to be honest painter was woeful too,but happy with a point,our final pass tonight was shocking.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I amazed Barnes is not on that list....Thought Sparrow had a fair game today, enough to ensure his place on Tuesday anyway. Still cant understand why Caskey has not had a look in. If your good enough,your old enough etc etc.....or maybe Gus just does not rate him.?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
How on earth was Barnes on the pitch for 90 mins, thought he was dog shit. Ankergren, Vicente and CMS were by far the best 3 players. Dunk worries me sometimes, a tad overkeen, needs to take a chill pill. Oh and in reply to the OP, no, none of them are good enough.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I missed to tonight's game but was somewhat surprised to see sparrow's name on the teamsheet. It sounds like he had a better game than dicker, but seriously, how many chances can one player have?!?! I'm going to start calling him the cat because he certainly seems to have nine lives.

Sent via several large Spanish brandies

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Do you realy think there good enough ?

Have been saying the Painter & Dicker thing for some considerable time. Even in the winning run, you could see Blackpool & others pinpoint & destroy Painter. He has it all, except pace unfortunately.
Dicker - it's not so much the dithering on the ball during his off games for me, but he is so immobile, stiff & slow. Puts his fellow central midfielders under so much pressure to cover the inevitable 3 x Bridcutt (pace & class) types, in opposing centre-midfields.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The post where you didn't mention who our worst player is?

If you mean Painter, I think that's harsh. He's actually a decent player, he just lacks the one essential quality you need to be a success at this level or higher - pace. If he could run he'd be very good. He's obviously not going to make it because he can't change that one problem, but I wouldn't say he's our worst player. Dicker has numerous weaknesses.

Painter couldn't keep the ball in play, several times it went for a throw in.

Regarding the comments on Sparrow from other contributors to this thread, this is a quote from the match report 'The Albion boss also praised midfielder Matt Sparrow, who was handed his first league start since the Cardiff City game in August.

"Spadge was brilliant and I'm delighted with him. I keep telling players that they will get a chance at some point and he got his today, and he played very well.'

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Dicker
EVERY game he gets caught near the half way line in his own half with the defence exposed. Every single game!

And several times per game.
And then is just too slow to help out the then exposed 3 on 1 Bridcutt.

I hope Gus is ruthless in January. Please.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sparrow has never really fulfilled his potential for us. Perhaps if he gets a run of games that may change. I've always rated Dicker but have to admit tonight was not his finest.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Barnes was utter turd,,,close run thing between him and Dicker but Ashley just edges it for me.
You're only half right. I'll give you turd up front, although I think if he scores one, he'll be off and running again. But his defensive work was essential to our clean shhet.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Dicker has been misplacing passes and generally playing shit for a fair while now. About time he was ditched.
Painter has looked slow and clueless this season- if we had any other natural LB's, there is no way he'd be in the side. He certainly doesn't deserve to be.
Sparrow hasn't actually done much of note since the 2 goals against Swindon on his debut.. Never really seen anything from him to suggest that he is Championship quality.
I cannot understand for the life of me why Hoskins isn't getting a chance :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sparrow played well tonight and given the opportunity will hopefully continue to play well. Time for Dicker to have a rest. Not sure we have anybody else who can play instead of Paints, though I thought Vincelot was steady when Painter was suspended.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I missed to tonight's game but was somewhat surprised to see sparrow's name on the teamsheet. It sounds like he had a better game than dicker, but seriously, how many chances can one player have?!?! I'm going to start calling him the cat because he certainly seems to have nine lives.

Sent via several large Spanish brandies

I agree with what you say, none of the three are good enough if the Albion are to progress, and as another poster noted, Barnes is certainly not maintaining his early season improvement and today was, after several poor performances, was absolutely awful.

Though I have more than grave doubts about Ankergren, he did have, in my mind, his best performance of this season.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Dicker has been misplacing passes and generally playing shit for a fair while now. About time he was ditched.
Painter has looked slow and clueless this season- if we had any other natural LB's, there is no way he'd be in the side. He certainly doesn't deserve to be.
Sparrow hasn't actually done much of note since the 2 goals against Swindon on his debut.. Never really seen anything from him to suggest that he is Championship quality.
I cannot understand for the life of me why Hoskins isn't getting a chance :shrug:

Me neither, eeeeeees a disgrace! Come on Gus, he must be chomping at the bit, and why oh why is Noone on the bench. Unbelievable scenes.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have a lot of time for Ashley barnes. He's being asked to play woefully out of position and is giving it everything. I honestly think a lot of the stick he gets is down to what gus is asking him to do. He should be leading the line with Cms. f*** this one up top rubbish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here