Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Why go on the phone In and claim Wilkins has a very healthy budget one of the best in league 1 for next season,Then we kept hearing the complete opposite.Today in the argus on line Wilkins has a very tight budget.Tight youre spin is worse than blairs :censored: :angry: :censored:

Stumpy Tim

So Naylor prints 10 paragraphs on how 4 young lads are going out on loan - and then claims that's all Wilkins has to spend. And you believe him.

Dick Knight (who knows how much money is available) says the budget is good for this division, and money is available. And you don't believe him.

Interesting considering which of these two has the better knowledge. It amazes me anyone takes anything Naylor says seriously

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dick Knight is God. :bowdown:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Stumpy Tim said:
So Naylor prints 10 paragraphs on how 4 young lads are going out on loan - and then claims that's all Wilkins has to spend. And you believe him.

Dick Knight (who knows how much money is available) says the budget is good for this division, and money is available. And you don't believe him.

Interesting considering which of these two has the better knowledge.

Wise words.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:

Interesting considering which of these two has the better knowledge. It amazes me anyone takes anything Naylor says seriously

Alternatively you could just read it for what it is. The Albion will loan out their 4 new starlets to offset the wages bill and leave the tight budget a bit looser. Unless of course you believe that Knight is giving Wilkins a massive budget, when it could be seen as mischief making. Never ceases to amaze me how Naylor cannot print what to me looks to be a totallly reasonable article without it being seen as a slight on DK.

I think the spend of the last few seasons would suggest it's a fecking tight budget.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Icy Gull said:
Alternatively you could just read it for what it is. The Albion will loan out their 4 new starlets to offset the wages bill and leave the tight budget a bit looser. Unless of course you believe that Knight is giving Wilkins a massive budget, when it could be seen as mischief making. Never ceases to amaze me how Naylor cannot print what to me looks to be a totallly reasonable article without it being seen as a slight on DK.

I think the spend of the last few seasons would suggest it's a fecking tight budget.

whether the budget is small or not, it makes perfect sense to loan out players who are not in the plans for the start of the season so they get experience and save a little bit of cash too. It's not exactly rocket science. There is no reason for Naylor to start making comments about having no budget which gets fans on the boards back

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Dick Knight stated on air that it was a competitive budget in this Division, but then admitted that when Dean Wilkins comes back in July he will have less money than Mark McGhee had last year.
I hope I am proved wrong but to me at this point any thoughts of a promotion challenge look somewhat misplaced

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Harty said:
Dick Knight stated on air that it was a competitive budget in this Division, but then admitted that when Dean Wilkins comes back in July he will have less money than Mark McGhee had last year.
I hope I am proved wrong but to me at this point any thoughts of a promotion challenge look somewhat misplaced

As long as we stay in business that is all that matters, no point splashing out until we have the Falmer result.

OGH9

Dec 5, 2006
Brighton
dougdeep said:
As long as we stay in business that is all that matters, no point splashing out until we have the Falmer result.
Yeh, but we've already had one summer like this (you could say this is the third already if you count summer leading to first season in Championship), another one is incredibly tedious, frustrating boring from a fans perspective.

Summat like 10 home league wins from Withdean over two seasons? Shocking:nono:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Harty said:

I think it's starting to look that way. Despite the fact that Knight promised we would make ' a serious challenge for promotion to the Championship'. How the hell are we supposed to do that without some quality signings?

I wish he would just be a bit more honest sometimes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seagullible said:
whether the budget is small or not, it makes perfect sense to loan out players who are not in the plans for the start of the season so they get experience and save a little bit of cash too. It's not exactly rocket science. There is no reason for Naylor to start making comments about having no budget which gets fans on the boards back

We are lending out 4 players and there are a number of reasons for it, quite why they shouldn't be in the sportsnews of a local paper I don't understand

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I don't think its he's dishonest, I think he is so passionate about the club that sometimes he is blinded by the bullshit, unfortunately a lot of it is of his own making.
He is a nice guy but something said to me by a current club employee sticks in the mind.
"In some ways Brighton and Hove Albion were the making of Dick Knight, if he doesn't watch out it could yet be the breaking of him"
I hope that doesn't happen, because for all the spin and the flannel, he is an Albion fan and a nice bloke.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Harty said:
I don't think its he's dishonest, I think he is so passionate about the club that sometimes he is blinded by the bullshit, unfortunately a lot of it is of his own making.
He is a nice guy but something said to me by a current club employee sticks in the mind.
"In some ways Brighton and Hove Albion were the making of Dick Knight, if he doesn't watch out it could yet be the breaking of him"
I hope that doesn't happen, because for all the spin and the flannel, he is an Albion fan and a nice bloke.

Ok, instead of 'honest', perhaps I should have said 'realistic'. The sentiment is the same though.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Harty said:

A point not lost on you at the time Harty.

He wasn't too comfortable at the time as I recall.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Seagullible said:
We know the club doesn't have much money, I suspect a lot of things are said and then small things pop up which affect the budget leading to a change of statement. In the end, I ttrust the board as I know they are fans of the club and they know a lot mor e than any of us as to what is really happening

Why don't you ask Wanko about the budget when you serve lunch for him? :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here