Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Harty said:
Dick Knight stated on air that it was a competitive budget in this Division, but then admitted that when Dean Wilkins comes back in July he will have less money than Mark McGhee had last year.
I hope I am proved wrong but to me at this point any thoughts of a promotion challenge look somewhat misplaced

But Tight needs the season ticket money so he spins :angry: :censored:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
kestrel said:
But Tight needs the season ticket money so he spins :angry: :censored:

Surely you mean that the CLUB needs the money.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
This is always difficult - on the one hand you want to tell the supporters that there's a good playing budget but at the same time if the transfer market knows you've got a lot of money to spend the price for players goes up.

But I do agree that we shouldn't be splashing money around until Falmer is certain. The long term future of the club is the most important even if that means watching another season of shite football at Withdean.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Surely a competitive budget in this division is about £9k.
In a division of generally collective poverty, the competition should be there or thereabouts. Each hunting bargains and training harder than the next, i suppose. There'll be one or two teams hustling for the big leagues with their bulging dough, but the majority battle in other ways.
Knight says things to make fans feel safe in the knowledge that their worries are not entirely ignored, and remind us, at any length, he is still one of us in some capacity. Whatever he spills will not satisfy those who have 'them' as the selfish lie-tongued devils they'd happily sacrifice.

Well I don't think many of us would swop places with what he has gone through in the last 10 years!!

Slightly off topic - how many Knight's have been Knighted?? IF and I know it's still a reasonably big if, DK leads us out at Falmer in 3 years with a quality team and a quality Manager - would you think he should be Knighted for his services to OUR cause??

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seagullible said:
We know the club doesn't have much money, I suspect a lot of things are said and then small things pop up which affect the budget leading to a change of statement. In the end, I ttrust the board as I know they are fans of the club and they know a lot mor e than any of us as to what is really happening

Yes, but Dick Knight misled the fans over the size of next season's budget, and was caught-out by Harty during one of the SCR phone-ins...

Are you a club apologist?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Stumpy Tim said:
So Naylor prints 10 paragraphs on how 4 young lads are going out on loan - and then claims that's all Wilkins has to spend. And you believe him.

No he didn't!!!!:

Albion will loan out their newest pros to cut costs and give boss Dean Wilkins a bit more scope in the transfer market.

The Seagulls recently awarded one-year professional contracts to Chris Winterton, Sonny Cobbs, Sam Gargan and Lloyd Skinner.

Deals are being arranged for all four to be borrowed by non-league Sussex clubs from the beginning of next season.

advertisement
The scheme means the quartet of second year scholars get experience of men's football while Albion save on their wages.

Wilkins has a tight budget to work with to improve the squad which finished three places above the relegation zone in League One.

The net size of the squad is unchanged at present, the four youngsters taken on effectively replacing the released Richard Martin, Chris Breach, Georges Santos and Paul Hinshelwood.

But their departures, together with the instant loanings, will reduce the wage bill as Wilkins hunts for fresh blood.

Eleven out-of-contract players, headed by Guy Butters and Michel Kuipers, have been offered new deals.

Albion have refused to release details but the overwhelming majority are thought to have been awarded a year.

Wilkins' wish for all the contract issues to be resolved by the end of the week is unlikely to materialise, as some of the players involved are abroad on family holidays.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The savings on wages of those four, while welcome, is not going to amount to too much of a hill of beans.

I think Wilkins is loaning them out for different reasons other than saving a few quid (although it obviously helps) - like senior experience for example. Under the old system, these four would all still be youth team players. While acknowledging Lynch, Gatting and Fraser are exceptions to the rule, this is normal behaviour for the Albion.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Harty said:
Dick Knight stated on air that it was a competitive budget in this Division, but then admitted that when Dean Wilkins comes back in July he will have less money than Mark McGhee had last year.
I hope I am proved wrong but to me at this point any thoughts of a promotion challenge look somewhat misplaced

One positive is that last years away form would have got us into the playoffs if it had been matched by decent home form. Get the home form right plus plus a half decent striker and we could already have a better team than we think.

After all we don't have to be crap when we play at home!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
B.W. said:
Yes, but Dick Knight misled the fans over the size of next season's budget, and was caught-out by Harty during one of the SCR phone-ins...

Are you a club apologist?

Theres 2 many of them on this board.They live in the past as is Knight living of former glories

KNIGHT OUT
:angry: :censored:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kestrel out, there's too many on this board. :jester:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
loaning 4 first year pros out is good, they will gain experience and get to play at higher level every week rather than the hit and miss reserve league. It will save a few quid but no where near what Naylor is implying. Doubt the non-league clubs would be paying the full wages anyway. Get off the back of DK give him to August and see what happens

Black N Tan

Jan 28, 2006
West London
I've read posts on here saying about the debt we have, now I read people complaining about the budget set by DK. What I haven't read is someone saying " Let's make the budget £1,000,000 I'll pay" put up or shut up.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
NS Herald said:
Well I don't think many of us would swop places with what he has gone through in the last 10 years!!

Slightly off topic - how many Knight's have been Knighted?? IF and I know it's still a reasonably big if, DK leads us out at Falmer in 3 years with a quality team and a quality Manager - would you think he should be Knighted for his services to OUR cause??
And what exactly has dick night gone through????

The man has pumped in 1.5 million of his own money into the club in 10 years??? thats abismal end of,and you can bet your bottom dollar he has recovered that 1.5 million aswel.

Face it dick is full of shite and always will be,potless and clueless.You can be sure our huge mounting debts won't affect knight.:angry:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
sir albion said:

The man has pumped in 1.5 million of his own money into the club in 10 years??? thats abismal end of,and you can bet your bottom dollar he has recovered that 1.5 million aswel.

Face it dick is full of shite and always will be,potless and clueless.You can be sure our huge mounting debts won't affect knight.:angry:

how much have you put in? And where do you get that he has recovered the money from??

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sir albion said:

Does he have a license to print his own money? A Chairmans job is not just to put his own money in, but keep the club afloat to attract other investors.

Considering we have lost a potential £30m in revenue over the last 10 years, we have done well to see three seasons of Championship football.

Wilkins DOES have a tight budget to improve the squad. Do strikers (20+ goals) come cheaply? Do we have £300k to spend on a single player leaving money to be spent on on other areas? I very much doubt there will be a great deal of money spent by the teams in League One next season, apart from the usual suspects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here