Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight/Tony Bloom

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How many other clubs have applied for permission, secured funding and built their new grounds in the time we've been trying?

This is complete bollocks. The question should be "How many other clubs have applied for permission, secured funding and built their new grounds in an AONB in the time we've been trying" and the answer is none. To compare a development on the edge of a national park with developments in inner cities or in out-of-town development areas is completely fatuous.

You could also point out the number of clubs that have been trying to build new grounds in the last decade: Liverpool and Everton to name two, both of which are considerably richer than TB. You could also add Portsmouth to that - although they're considerably poorer than TB.

I don't want to get in the debate as to whether DK or TB is the best - as far as I'm concerned they both did their bit.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Why possibly wouldn't the Blooms be there ? Possibly the same reason Avram Grant took the day off.

Brilliant - puts everything you posted in the past and will post in the future in context.

You utter plank :lolol:

I wasn't questioning Bloom's absence - he's not going to be able to make every game.

Nor was I debating which chairman was better.

I just wondered if there was a bit of "beef" between Knight and Bloom, which might explain why we haven't heard anything from Knight since TB took over.

Any excuse to have a go at WW, though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Arthur, you don't half talk some cobblers. Do you honestly believe we'd have got that stadium any quicker if Bloom had become chairman sooner ?

The planning application was submitted in 1999, and due to the fact we were applying to build in a designated AONB, it was inevitably called to be scrutinised at a public inquiry. The anti's kicked up one hell of a stink and opposed it every step of the way, and even when we DID eventually get permission, the Government f***ed up their letter of consent which opened the door for another objection and set us back another 12 months.

I sat at those inquiries several times, and the detail they go into you would have to see to believe. Boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of studies, evidence, analysis, plans, projections, surveys - and all of it picked over, prodded, poked and debated to the very last minute detail by lawyers. Every session of the inquiry was the result of months of preparation, plus the fact the anti's WANTED to delay it as much as possible for their own nefarious reasons.

Could you just explain to me how money (as this is what you are saying it boils down to with Bloom) would have enabled the club to circumnavigate this legal process and deliver the stadium sooner ?

If you say "bribes" then I'll treat your half-baked theories with the contempt they deserve.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Why possibly wouldn't the Blooms be there ? Possibly the same reason Avram Grant took the day off.

Brilliant - puts everything you posted in the past and will post in the future in context.

You utter plank :lolol:

I know that's the reason Bloom wasn't there - although I didn't mention in the original post as I know nothing about events in the Jewish calendar.

It was the fact that Knight publically appeared at a game when Bloom was unavailable that made me consider that they might not get on.

Not really sure what your point is - but carry on seeking gratification with your name calling.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This is complete bollocks. The question should be "How many other clubs have applied for permission, secured funding and built their new grounds in an AONB in the time we've been trying" and the answer is none. To compare a development on the edge of a national park with developments in inner cities or in out-of-town development areas is completely fatuous.

Like I said mere stumbling block that money and competence could have made go away.

You could also point out the number of clubs that have been trying to build new grounds in the last decade: Liverpool and Everton to name two, both of which are considerably richer than TB. You could also add Portsmouth to that - although they're considerably poorer than TB.

Well if you're going to start to make ridiculous comparisons then lets throw Arsenal into the mix who had a much tougher job than winning over a couple of tree huggers and the local WI!

I don't want to get in the debate as to whether DK or TB is the best - as far as I'm concerned they both did their bit.

I totally agree!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I know that's the reason Bloom wasn't there - although I didn't mention in the original post as I know nothing about events in the Jewish calendar.

It was the fact that Knight publically appeared at a game when Bloom was unavailable that made me consider that they might not get on.

Not really sure what your point is - but carry on seeking gratification with your name calling.

My point is that you are trying to draw something out of nothing. It is quite obvious why Knight made the trip isn't it ?

There may well not best of buddies - but how can you possibly draw anything out of the Blooms not being there yesterday ?

You are attempting to make a point using a completely irrelevant example. What I would draw from yesterday is that Bloom has the utmost respect for Knight and allowed him represent the club. If he really didn't like him - why would he do that ?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
My point is that you are trying to draw something out of nothing. It is quite obvious why Knight made the trip isn't it ?

Well why didn't you make that clear in your original post? Oh, because you'd rather follow the trend and slag me off.

It may be obvious why Knight made the trip, but it doesn't answer the questions of whether he gets on with Bloom, or what his role as "president" involves.

Still, carry on having a pop if you feel the need. It's not like I've not heard it a million times at all...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Arthur, you don't half talk some cobblers. Do you honestly believe we'd have got that stadium any quicker if Bloom had become chairman sooner ?

The planning application was submitted in 1999, and due to the fact we were applying to build in a designated AONB, it was inevitably called to be scrutinised at a public inquiry. The anti's kicked up one hell of a stink and opposed it every step of the way, and even when we DID eventually get permission, the Government f***ed up their letter of consent which opened the door for another objection and set us back another 12 months.

I sat at those inquiries several times, and the detail they go into you would have to see to believe. Boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of studies, evidence, analysis, plans, projections, surveys - and all of it picked over, prodded, poked and debated to the very last minute detail by lawyers. Every session of the inquiry was the result of months of preparation, plus the fact the anti's WANTED to delay it as much as possible for their own nefarious reasons.

Could you just explain to me how money (as this is what you are saying it boils down to with Bloom) would have enabled the club to circumnavigate this legal process and deliver the stadium sooner ?

If you say "bribes" then I'll treat your half-baked theories with the contempt they deserve.

I've answered all of this on this thread (and others) several times.

I'll sum it up in a simple analogy for you....when Dave's corner shop wants to expand and build a bigger and shop down the road he has to jump through hoops spending fortunes only to get turned down. When Sainsburys want to do the same it always happens............strangely!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it doesn't answer the question of what his role as "president" involves.

I'm guessing it's an ambassadorial type position which does not come with any real power. And a role which he appeared to perform well at Carlisle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'll sum it up in a simple analogy for you....when Dave's corner shop wants to expand and build a bigger and shop down the road he has to jump through hoops spending fortunes only to get turned down. When Sainsburys want to do the same it always happens............strangely!

So it wasn't Perry's incompetance then but the fact that he is a small businessman?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well why didn't you make that clear in your original post? Oh, because you'd rather follow the trend and slag me off.

It may be obvious why Knight made the trip, but it doesn't answer the questions of whether he gets on with Bloom, or what his role as "president" involves.

Still, carry on having a pop if you feel the need. It's not like I've not heard it a million times at all...

So what's the relevance of yesterday then - to whether they get on ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like I said mere stumbling block that money and competence could have made go away.
Well if you're going to start to make ridiculous comparisons then lets throw Arsenal into the mix who had a much tougher job than winning over a couple of tree huggers and the local WI!

But Liverpool and Everton have money and they haven't secure planning permission yet, let alone built a ground. It doesn't really matter how much money someone's got, there are still planning conditions to overcome.

Arsenal didn't have a tough job at all. I went on a tour of the Emirates and asked the stadium manager who was leading the tour whether Arsenal had had any planning objections and he just laughed and said that there were no obstacles put in their way. It was built on a brownfield site, the sort of development that all council would welcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i think you are delusional if you think money could have sped up development, the problems we faced were very much political and special interests which money cant overcome. Knights competence was in his PR which won over many parties that might otherwise have opposed the project (and avoiding alot of sticky question coming up in enquiries that in retrospect would have scuppered the whole thing). you also seem to forget one significant delay was the sign off being mishandled, something no chairman could have prevented.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

*sigh*

So in summary, your theory is that DK strung the planning process out and kept us at Withdean longer than necessary so he could cling on to power.

He was aided and abeitted in this plan by MP, who sabotaged the entire planning process with pre-planned and deliberate "incompetence" on his part during the planning process, so he could remain on the clubs payroll for longer.

In the meantime, Bloom stood by overseeing these two deliberately delay our stadium in order to feather their own nests, in the knowledge that the club was racking up more and more losses playing at Withdean. Presumably he decided "enough is enough", then finally took over the club and started building.

THATS your theory ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Arsenal didn't have a tough job at all. I went on a tour of the Emirates and asked the stadium manager who was leading the tour whether Arsenal had had any planning objections and he just laughed and said that there were no obstacles put in their way. It was built on a brownfield site, the sort of development that all council would welcome.

Not one no??

From : http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/david-conn-arsenal-go-on-the-attack-over-stadium-plans-619366.html

Serious local opposition persists, however, marshalled by a well-organised group of 16 local organisations, the Islington Stadium Communities Alliance. They argue the plans are over-ambitious, uncosted and will cost real jobs because some 83 businesses on the Ashburton Grove industrial site will have to move to make way for the new stadium. ISCA says the whole area will be transformed and dominated by a single multi-million pound company – Arsenal.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In the meantime, Bloom stood by overseeing these two deliberately delay our stadium in order to feather their own nests, in the knowledge that the club was racking up more and more losses playing at Withdean. Presumably he decided "enough is enough", then finally took over the club and started building.

THATS your theory ?

You are very selective about what you choose to take on board and what you don't aren't you!!

Bloom tried to buy the club along time before he actually did. Knight wouldn't sell. Yet he still continued to pump millions in to the football club knowing full well he was just giving Knight enough rope to hang himself.

I'm just repeating myself now chaps so I'm going back to the pub. If you're lucky I might come and have another stab later when I get back.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I can only repeat what the manager said "there were no obstacles in the way". The fact that it was approved and built so quickly suggest this was the case.

As to the existing businesses. From the Arsenal website "The total cost of the entire project is £390 million. This includes the construction of Emirates stadium, a new waste and recycling centre and relocation of local businesses and statutory services."

So, basically they were paid off - so, in that case money did help. But Brighton's problems could not be solved by money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here